The Atmosphere Around Sochi

SkiFreak

Just wondering how the street atmosphere is around Sochi as I haven't seen any photos yet. Any pics floating around out there or were they blocked by the Russia government? Or have people's photos been deleted by hackers? :rolleyes:

I take it it won't be anywhere near to the level Vancouver was. Vancouver was awesome. Glad I got to hit the streets for four days there. B)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping Puppy will call in and post to give us some idea, but from what I'm seeing, the crowds at events seem to be spirited enough, but it's looking like a ghost town outside those. In fact, I'm loathe to call this so early, but I'm not feeling much in the way of spirit coming out of these games yet at all. Since the OC, it's just not really lighting my excitement.

I'm hoping Puppy will call in and post to give us some idea, but from what I'm seeing, the crowds at events seem to be spirited enough, but it's looking like a ghost town outside those. In fact, I'm loathe to call this so early, but I'm not feeling much in the way of spirit coming out of these games yet at all. Since the OC, it's just not really lighting my excitement.

I agree rols about the lack of excitement, though I get a bit more excitement from the canadian CBC broadcast than the network ten broadcast. I still don't understand how london can be hd streamed by foxtel and ten streaming is like youtube 7 years ago.

If you have a VPN check out the CBC coverage, the streams are great, the commentary informative and the streams, crystal clear.

I don't know. When Russia got their Team Trophy medal there was boisterous singing to the anthem. The crowds at the biathlon venue have been reminiscent of the massive flag waving of Lillehammer. What the curling crowd lacks in numbers, they sure make up for in noise. I am reminded more of Torino overall though. Very patchy.

Yeah I'm getting the same impression. Lots of space outside, not enough people there to fill it up. Even at the indoor venues there seem to be plenty of empty seats (though I'll admit we have yet to see some of the bigger-drawing events). Did any other GB'ers go to Sochi besides Puppy?

Two things I've noticed.

Curling is actually one of the best attended sports (has been confirmed by a couple articles that only figure skating, biathlon and cross country skiing has had the level of attendance or higher)

And the Russian audiences seem to like Canadians.

I must say I'm honestly impressed with the turnout and enthusiasm of the crowds despite all the concerns over the past couple weeks. The only venue that seems to lack in crowds is the sliding track (save the finish line). Is it because they sold less tickets for it or something because I remember there being crowds around most of the turns in vancouver and torino.

I'm here. The crowds at events are fantastic. The Russians are having a ton of fun. The cheer loud for any Russians, and anyone else that is good, even if a rival to a Russian.

Logistics are smooth, security is unobtrusive, venues are beautiful. No faults there.

The eight zillion dollar train system looks great, but is the slowest "high speed" train ever.

Can't comment on Sochi itself. Haven't been as the games aren't there.

The studio of the German TV is right at the "huge square" in the centre of the Olympic Park in Sochi (the studio has huge windows toward the square with a view upon the cauldron) - I haven't seen so far that this square was full of people during the broadcast out of this studio - there are some very few people who are hurrying to the arenas, but it seems that there is absolutely no celebrations going on like in the Olympic Park in London...

By the way that was one of the worse anti-climaxes during the OC in my point of view - the lightning of the cauldron - everything was fine before the two final torchbearers left the stadium: the square was absolutely deserted - it looked like they were the only people in the world - it would have been much better if there had been a huge crowd...

To be fair, I've thought the park has looked pretty sparse and bleak in images I've seen of it and the medal ceremonies. But they dud show the women's half pipe medal ceremony here today and for once the crowd looked pretty big.

Where are you staying? Hotel okay?

Anyway, thanks for checking in. You're the first Gbidder to report from the ground there. Hope you're having a great time.

Greetings from HK. Back from Sochi. Sadly my luggage hasn't made it yet. Grumble grumble Turkish Air...

Zekekelso is right - great atmosphere inside the venues however the venues are not full. Just briefly in regards to the sliding centre - we had 'b' reserve tickets but were "upgraded" to 'a' reserve. Low ticket sales plus really visible security may be the reason why. No such issues at the extreme park. Great atmosphere there - but that may be due to most of the crowd seeming to not be locals. So, so many Canadians, Americans and Scandinavians attending the games. No transport issues. No security issues. Much quicker security than Vancouver strangely. Then again most of the events I attended were... lightly attended.

The Olympic park is a ghost town. The Olympic passport is a rubbish idea and the park day passes went on sale quite late apparently and there is very little to do there anyway besides the medal ceremonies and posing for communist propaganda style pics with the cauldron. Nonetheless it is a stunning set of venues.

Apart from popping into the CoSport office and a quick bus ride through Sochi proper I did not stray from the venues or the cruise ship. I'll write up a longer report when I get home.

Staying in Khosta. Beautiful town between Sochi and Olympic Park. My reservation on cruise ship got taken (travel company says the OC took back cabins; many suspect travel company overbooked.) hotel is nice enough, but they speak no English and there is no easy way to get to the station. Travel company claimed there would be a shuttle. There is no shuttle. Rumor has it the driver is in jail.

Sounds worse than it is, once I got the logistics figured out its pretty easy. This kind of stuff is par for the course with Olympic travel. Not complaining, just trying to give you guys a bit of flavor.

Lots of grumbling about the Spectator passes. That and lines at ticket collection points are the major grumbles. The spectator pass reminds me of the invitation letter needed to get a Russian Visa. A seeming pointless step that just complicates things.

As for crowds. The biathlon and cross country stadiums were completely packed. No surprise. Hockey was 95%+ full in seats sold to public. As at all Olympics, big blocks of empty VIP/NOC/Sponcer section. The IOC really needs to deal with this! Crowds do show up late and leave early. Russians would fit in well in L.A.

Medal ceremony started out packed, but many left after the first two awards, where Russia won silver and bronze, their two if the night. Best moments were two really drunk Chinese guys belting out one enthusiastic national anthem. That and the woman winning team luge gold for Germany. Who knew Lugers looked that good?

Archived