Sign in to follow this  
FiveRingFever

Biathlon

The legend of Bjoerndalen has grown even bigger today. First individual win in three years and of course its at the Olympics.

Something tells me Germany, the US and Canada will have a hard time finishing at the top of the medal table :P

As great as the win was for me, you gotta feel for Shipulin and the russians.

He was one shot away, the final shot, from the victory at home ground. And he knew it. and he blew it.., just painful. He finished 0,7 sec off the podium.

With so much "hate" on the Sochi games already, the russians (as in the people) really deserve some great sporting moments.

Oh well, about the medal table. Bode miller's all of a sudden the fav for downhill tomorrow morning (or late tonight if you're american) and if he wins it's all square : -) Not to mention the freestyle skiing going on.

The US has so many gold chances and have already taken a surprising one in slopestyle; they're in good shape. Canadians will hopefully seek revenge and steal back some medals.

--

Looking forward to the hunt. You can see that the altitude and the demanding race course really creates an interesting dynamic. Fourcade skied well tonight, i think fastest or second fastest skier, but spent too much time shooting. Svendsen seemed almost a bit too heavy for the course, while Bjørndalen has always been good at height and is a light weight. Could be a good olympics for him..

For tomorrow, I expect hot and slender Domracheva to be the girl to beat.

I know jack about biathlon, but I'll show some love for Finland and take Makarainen.

Finland is painfully overdue for another Olympic gold medal. Their last gold medal was in Salt Lake City, and since then they have won eight silver medals (six in Turino, one in Vancouver and one in Sochi). They have been so close so often.

Finland is painfully overdue for another Olympic gold medal. Their last gold medal was in Salt Lake City, and since then they have won eight silver medals (six in Turino, one in Vancouver and one in Sochi). They have been so close so often.

I didn't realize that. Short days and no gold medals = excessive drinking.

Women's Sprint:

Gold: Kuzmina (Slovakia)

Silver: Vilukhina (Russia)

Bronze: Semerenko (Ukraine)

Ukraine wins first medal since 2002. Kuzmina becomes first female biathlete to repeat as Olympic Champion.

Women's Sprint:

Gold: Kuzmina (Slovakia)

Silver: Vilukhina (Russia)

Bronze: Semerenko (Ukraine)

Ukraine wins first medal since 2002. Kuzmina becomes first female biathlete to repeat as Olympic Champion.

2006, Ukraine didn't win any medals in 2002.

It seems like most competitors shoot prone first, standing second. It seems like you would want to get the more difficult position out of the way when you're not as tired. Any biathlon junkies know why this is?

It seems like most competitors shoot prone first, standing second. It seems like you would want to get the more difficult position out of the way when you're not as tired. Any biathlon junkies know why this is?

Its like this. You are required to shoot prone then standing.

I thought I saw the reverse during the competition. Thanks for the somewhat douchey response.

It can get confusing for non-followers/occasional viewers because some are on their "prone lap" while earlier starters are on their "standing" lap. In the longer races, there will even be 4 shootings, two each, and I think it's also there first the prone ones, then the standing ones.

It can get confusing for non-followers/occasional viewers because some are on their "prone lap" while earlier starters are on their "standing" lap. In the longer races, there will even be 4 shootings, two each, and I think it's also there first the prone ones, then the standing ones.

Yeah, I always thought it was alternating, but today it seemed like a few athletes did it different. It's a great sport to watch.

Yeah, I always thought it was alternating, but today it seemed like a few athletes did it different. It's a great sport to watch.

Its alternating in the individual (prone - standing - prone - standing). But in everything else its prone then standing (so either one prone then one standing in sprint and relay or two prone then two standing in pursuit and mass start).

Shooting out of order would get the athlete disqualified.

Edited by Fox334

Should be an interesting pursuit tomorrow, looking forward to it. The time trial style start races are fun, but these head-to-head ones are where biathlon really shines. Can Bjorndalen manage to make it two? He's clearly on incredible form. I hope it'll be him or Fourcade (or Leguellec, in a long shot). But a fair amount of quality up in that top group, the two Austrians, Moravec and Shipulin all within a loop's time and Svendsen close enough to be dangerous.

Drats, its my favourite event of the winter Olympics and it went from perfect time (late morning on a Sunday) to the worse possible time (night between Sunday and Monday). Won't be able to catch it live :(

460x.jpg

Norway's Emil Hegle Svendsen, left, outsprints France's Martin Fourcade to win the men's biathlon 15k mass-start, at the 2014 Winter Olympics, Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2014, in Krasnaya Polyana, Russia. (AP Photo/Felipe Dana)

KRASNAYA POLYANA, Russia (AP) — The official timing couldn't tell who had won as the difference was less than one-tenth of a second.

Only a slow motion of TV footage and the finish photo showed whose ski crossed the line first.

Probably the only person in the Laura biathlon stadium to be immediately certain about the result was the winner himself.

Emil Hegle Svendsen edged his French rival Martin Fourcade in a tight finish to the men's 15-kilometer mass start race at the Sochi Olympics on Tuesday.

However, the Norwegian said he had never been in doubt of his victory — even before entering the finish stretch.

"It looked like a close finish but I had quite a good control of him," Svendsen said about Fourcade. "Going into the last hundred meters, I knew I had the gold."

Svendsen did open up a 10-meter lead over Fourcade and started his celebrations well before actually crossing the line. He admitted he wasn't aware of the Frenchman catching up on him.

Fourcade's sliding finish, pushing his left ski ahead, came too late — but only just.

"I only saw on the finish photo how close it really was," Svendsen said. "But whether you win gold by 10 centimeters of by 10 meters, that doesn't matter."

http://wintergames.ap.org/article/sochi-scene-close-call-or-not

Bjoerndalen wins record 13th medal

KRASNAYA POLYANA, Russia -- Ole Einar Bjoerndalen couldn't avoid being in the spotlight, certainly not after becoming the most decorated Winter Olympian of all time and receiving personal congratulations from the king.

The softly spoken Norwegian tends to keep his thoughts and his emotions in check rather than in the public domain, so it was fitting that his 13th Winter Games medal was a gold in a team event.

The 40-year-old Bjoerndalen helped Norway win the first Olympic mixed relay in biathlon on Wednesday, surging back to form after a couple years of apparent decline. He broke the total medals record he previously shared with retired cross-country skiing great Bjoern Daehlie at the Winter Games, and also matched fellow Norwegian's record mark of eight golds.

It was his second victory in Sochi, coming after his gold in the men's sprint biathlon.

"It's fantastic, I never imagined this would happen,'' Bjoerndalen said. "Bjoern is still my big hero ... He gave me a lot of motivation. Now I have the same gold as him, and that's cool.''

Daehlie won eight gold and four silver medals at the Olympics; Bjoerndalen's haul is now eight gold, four silver ... and one bronze. And he's got a shot at another medal in Sochi by lining up in the 4x7.5K relay on Saturday.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2014/biathlon/story/_/id/10482131/2014-sochi-olympics-norway-wins-biathlon-mixed-relay-ole-einar-bjoerndalen-sets-medal-record

Oh my, the German women's relay is already falling apart after a few minutes...

The Sachenbacher shock was obviously getting to the nerves of our youngest biathlete at position one. :o:wacko: