The term "Opening/Closing Ceremony" should be renamed.

I think the IOC should re-name the Opening/ Closing Ceremonies. I understand there are the traditional protocol element(Athletes Parade,opening speeches,lighting of the cauldro etc) But times have changed!! The ceremonies don't seem completely ceremony esq at all!! It really seems more like 3-5 hour concert/ party(a extended Super Bowl Half Time show!!) Don't want to lose the spectators and tv audiences with all protocol!! The term "opening/closing festival or party would be better.

I think the IOC should re-name the Opening/ Closing Ceremonies. I understand there are the traditional protocol element(Athletes Parade,opening speeches,lighting of the cauldro etc) But times have changed!! The ceremonies don't seem completely ceremony esq at all!! It really seems more like 3-5 hour concert/ party(a extended Super Bowl Half Time show!!) Don't want to lose the spectators and tv audiences with all protocol!! The term "opening/closing festival or party would be better.

So do you want to change the content or just the name? I highly doubt the name is what will or won't compel someone to watch. It's still a ceremony, especially the Opening. Maybe the Closing is a little more of a party/festival, but 'Ceremony' still seems appropriate.

Things get more informal at the Closing Ceremony with more for celebration and festival of a good performance. You can thank John Wing for that with all the athletes coming in as one. Opening Ceremonies are more of an apex for many people, casual and hardcore Olympic fans alike. Highly doubt things will change just with the name.