Russia Won't Bid For 2024 Olympic Games

I doubt there will be another Russian Olympics in my life time and I am only 20 years old Sochi Russia 2014 has really damage the IOC 50 times more then Salt Lake bribery, The unfinished hotels and cameras in the hotel rooms, corruption, anti gay laws, terrorist attacks theses are the Olympics and Paralympics Games from hell. Also Russia is an dying country where are right now 144 miilion people by 2050 it will only be 107 million people foretasted by the United Nations and 55 million by 2100 the future does not look good at all for Russia.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unlike a certain large country with only 34 million people, and just last hosted 4 years ago...but thinks its leading city is God's gift to the Olympics???

Good idea! Russia is hosting too many events - 2008 UEFA Champions League Final (Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow), 2013 Summer Universiade (Kazan), 2014 Winter Olympics and Paralympics (Sochi), 2017 Fifa Con

Thomas Bach, can you hear me???? Bloody hell, get a hearing aid!!! Thomas??? Hello???

I've always said that the Spanish were always focusing on the wrong set of Games. They should've concentrated all of their efforts on a winter bid instead. Trying for a Winter Olympics in a new mountain region of Europe in a country that's never hosted the Winter Olympics before, would've been much more compelling than trying relentlessly to get another Summer Olympic Games so soon in a country of only 40 million.

Some would've argued that Spain doesn't have a rich winter sport tradition for it, but a Winter Olympics could've spurred interest within the country, much like South Korea with 2018 & what some are arguing now for Poland with Krakow 2022.

Altho any Spanish winter bids aren't technically that strong. And I guess the Zaragoza and (oh, what's the other city) ___ don't have much clout in the Spanish NOC as the Castilians do.

Altho any Spanish winter bids aren't technically that strong. And I guess the Zaragoza and (oh, what's the other city) ___ don't have much clout in the Spanish NOC as the Castilians do.

Well, this is what I'm talking about when saying they were focusing all of their efforts on the wrong set of Games. Yeah, their winter bids weren't exactly up to par, but they could've been with the proper work & careful planning that it takes to create a competitive bid in the first place.

Just the fact they were proposing the ceremonies in Zaragoza when the bid was called Jaca (that was the other city) & the Charter specifically states that the host city is the only one to host them, wasn't a very good start to their plan. They could've made it work if they wanted to (like building what they needed to in the interim between bids if need be, just like they did with Madrid). But again, the Spanish Olympic Committee & the Castillians failed (or moreso, probably didn't want) to see (in their mere jealously of the Catalonans) the bigger picture of maybe going after the Winter Games instead.

I am only 20 years old

This explains a lot.

If Russia was to Bid for a future games, let's say 2036 maybe, I would rather St Petersburg Bid than Kazan, as Kazan has hosted the Summer Universiade, St Petersburg hasn't hosted much by it's self. Also, St Petersburg, already has a ceremony venue that fit's the Capacity demands, with Zenit Arena holding nearly 70,000 Seats, with Kazan Arena holding just over 45,000 Seats. I know a Bid doesn't just depend on Ceremonies venues, but it helps, as it is the centre piece of the Games.

Kazan would be a non-starter anyway, it doesn't even merit speculation. Russia has two suitable summer hosts and I think I don't have to name them. I would hope it was St. Petersburg for a change, but it would be probably no earlier than 2040. With Zenit Arena there's no athletics track so they could do it à la Rio and have that serve as a ceremony stadium and build a temporary site for athletics.

Kazan would be a non-starter anyway, it doesn't even merit speculation. Russia has two suitable summer hosts and I think I don't have to name them. I would hope it was St. Petersburg for a change, but it would be probably no earlier than 2040. With Zenit Arena there's no athletics track so they could do it à la Rio and have that serve as a ceremony stadium and build a temporary site for athletics.

Or build a Temporary Athletics track at the Zenit Arena like Glasgow did at Hampden Park.

But Hampden Park is oval shaped and had some sort of track originally, Zenit is a football stadium and rectangular so it would require major reconstruction and reduction of capacity. I did however forget the Petrovsky stadium that could be upgraded and used if it's not demolished before that.

I agree with reindeer that Kazan is almost a no go for a Russian Olympic bid. Another reason of the scepticism came from the origin and history of Kazan. Kazan is the heart of the Tatar culture and history. Even when the city has been absorved to the Slavic orbit, the historical clashes still have noise. Knowning Russia as a country with a clear national pride, they will prefer another "Russian" city - St. Petersburg most likely if they drop Moscow.

Well, this is what I'm talking about when saying they were focusing all of their efforts on the wrong set of Games. Yeah, their winter bids weren't exactly up to par, but they could've been with the proper work & careful planning that it takes to create a competitive bid in the first place.

Just the fact they were proposing the ceremonies in Zaragoza when the bid was called Jaca (that was the other city) & the Charter specifically states that the host city is the only one to host them, wasn't a very good start to their plan. They could've made it work if they wanted to (like building what they needed to in the interim between bids if need be, just like they did with Madrid). But again, the Spanish Olympic Committee & the Castillians failed (or moreso, probably didn't want) to see (in their mere jealously of the Catalonans) the bigger picture of maybe going after the Winter Games instead.

This explains a lot.

Exactly. Maybe if they used that enrgy to create a proper Zaragoza bid with all the streights, maybe 2006-2010 we had a Pyrinees WOG and Castillian would has its own Olympics without Barcelona. But not, they prefer to go to the sturbbonness and go to a prior lost battle.

So, Russia are not communicating with each other. About a Week ago, they said Russia won't Bid, then today, that article comes out.

Good find Tony. :o:D

Reminds me of all the mixed messages we've been getting from Rome to be honest, but Russia surely needs to be a bit more circumspect and realise it's unlikely ro be hosting two Games in ten years. Still, we've got a little while yet before cities have to declare.

• Like 1

Good find Tony. :o:D

Reminds me of all the mixed messages we've been getting from Rome to be honest, but Russia surely needs to be a bit more circumspect and realise it's unlikely ro be hosting two Games in ten years. Still, we've got a little while yet before cities have to declare.

Thank You Rob. And yes, I agree. To be honest, it comes down to a lack of communication, on one hand, one side says they won't Bid, because they have so many sporting events, 2013 Summer Universiade, 2014 Winter Olympics and Paralympics, 2017 Fifa Confederations Cup, 2018 Fifa World Cup and 2019 Winter Universiade, but then the other side, says St Petersburg will Bid, they need to make there mind up.

Having just been to Moscow and Sochi, it seems to me the Russians got this backwards. Moscow would be a great WOG city (no idea if there are mountains nearby, so don't take this post 100% seriously) and Sochi would be a great SOG host.

If I'm the Russians, my next SOG big would be.... Sochi!

Having just been to Moscow and Sochi, it seems to me the Russians got this backwards. Moscow would be a great WOG city (no idea if there are mountains nearby, so don't take this post 100% seriously) and Sochi would be a great SOG host. If I'm the Russians, my next SOG big would be.... Sochi!

Don't give them ideas!

• Like 1

Having just been to Moscow and Sochi, it seems to me the Russians got this backwards. Moscow would be a great WOG city (no idea if there are mountains nearby, so don't take this post 100% seriously) and Sochi would be a great SOG host.

I totally disagree. IF Russia were to bid for a Summer Olympic Games, the next candidate would be St Petersburg, if not, Moscow. Like what I said when I posted that article, I wouldn't rule out a Russian bid for 2024, but IMO, if they do bid, it wouldn't be feasible, with 10 years apart from Sochi 2014 to a possible St Petersburg 2024. After Sochi 2014, they have the World Cup. Before they bid for a Summer Olympics, Sochi 2014 should of taught them to clean up their act, with corruption, Putin, anti-gay laws, terrorism and political tension with Chechnya and Dagestan. So personally, if I was in charge of the Russian Olympic Committee, I would be concerned with a possible 2024 Summer Olympics. Usually, I am in favour of candidates bidding, as 99 per cent of the time, I see the games as a positive for a city and the country. But in this 1 per cent case, Russia doesn't need the Summer Olympics, for the reasons I already mentioned. Just my view on the matter, others might see it differently.

• 2 weeks later...

Russia won't host an Olympic Games for at least another 25 years in my personal opinion. If they do, it will be St Petersburg OR maybe Moscow again.

Ah yes, a "National Sports Center" up NW of the city, maybe another "Olympic Park" build closer to the city center, maybe built on an artificial waterfront, perhaps even a subway stretching the whole length of the city. Wouldn't that be nice! :P

They won't go back to Russia for at least another 25 years IMO.

Too near to the controversial Sochi 2014.

Thank you for clarifying your position. In case we weren't clear on that already..

Russia won't host an Olympic Games for at least another 25 years in my personal opinion. If they do, it will be St Petersburg OR maybe Moscow again.

• Like 1