Sign in to follow this  
Tony E Loves Architecture

2019 IAAF World Athletics Championships.

Well if there is one consolation, at least this bid appears to contain a realistic scheduling for the championships.

Well they didn't even have to buy this vote given who the other candidates were: same-old Barcelona sold themselves the same way as in 1992 or for the 2010 European Championships, and Eugene is too small anyway, US or not.

Same old or not, given the current refreshed scandal around Qatar/FIFA, the IAAF had at least a safe option if they did not dare going for the intimate concept of Eugene...surely the US (and the major sponsors) will be particularly pleased by this decision.

Whilst it causes some issues with athletes' schedules, this is infinitely more sensible than the idea of an entire World Cup in Doha!

The facilities are there, the IAAF have - unlike FIFA - agreed to the time-frame for hosting in advance (so heat and screwing over other sports won't be an issue), and with the compeition a bit on the flat side (Europe again straight after London 2017 or a small stadium in the US) this isn't a baffling decision. I still don't like the idea of hosts with little sporting pedigree, but this at least makes a modicum of sense.

LOLOLOLOL!!!

I'm giving up on all these sports organisations. IAAF also caves in, I'm willing to bet that this is a prelude to Doha Olympics, more so than any other event Qatar will host soon.

An Olympics (in October) in Doha would make more sense than the World Cup.

Corrupt. The Voting was obviously corrupt. Doha shouldn't have been given Hosting Rights for this. Barcelona had by far the Best Bid, Eugene even had a Better Bid then Doha. Barcelona should be Hosting the 2019 IAAF World Athletics Championships.

Eugene was the 2nd place vote-getter. 15-12 in the final. Close, no?

The explanation coming from here is that Barcelona was a longshot because London has 2017 and, given two bids outside Europe, IAAF saw that as preferable.

So 2021 MAY go to Barcelona. Who knows if IAAF takes a flyer on Eugene two years after.

Who knows if IAAF takes a flyer on Eugene two years after.

Nah. By then, the demands for such an event would be even more complex and ambitious, and certainly not on a scale that Eugene could satisfy. It's essentially a college town; no can do.

What the US needs now is to get the Olympics, get a spanking new world class Athletics stadium (or spanking refurbished), and keep that stadium long enough to bid for the World Championships one or three years later, then IAAF will not be able to say no.

Go LA/Boston/SF 2025/27!

What the US needs now is to get the Olympics, get a spanking new world class Athletics stadium (or spanking refurbished), and keep that stadium long enough to bid for the World Championships one or three years later, then IAAF will not be able to say no.

Go LA/Boston/SF 2025/27!

Unless it's part of an Olympic package, no major US city will really wantn to host an IAAF championships. We can't even get a San Antonio or Miami interested in a PanAm Games, what more an IAAF World Champs? The only other self-sustaining world champs that US cities go for are the ISU World Figure Skating Champs because those get a real following both on TV and in terms of gate receipts. So, no, as far as I'm concerned the IAAFs are a dying breed for possible US city hosting.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Qatar hosting Athletics (or even an Olympics) in October might make more sense in terms of scheduling or sustainability compared to a FIFA WC whenever in the year.

But only if you just look at the perspective of sports and do not take into account the HR issues, the corruption concerns or the simple fact that this region is the most volatile on this planet politically, and the Qatari government being a big contributor in many ways to that volatility.

IAAF (as many others before them) chose to ignore all of that, obviously. So, yes, I find it a ridiculous decision.

I read somewhere (Can't remember where) that Qatar considered Bidding for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations? I don't know if that's True, but if it is, it's silly. Qatar want to Bid for Competitions that they don't Qualify for.

^^ Not quite. There was some suggestion they might host last minute after Morocco pulled out. I doubt it was a serious suggestion. It'll now be hosted by Equatorial Guinea

I read somewhere (Can't remember where) that Qatar considered Bidding for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations? I don't know if that's True, but if it is, it's silly. Qatar want to Bid for Competitions that they don't Qualify for.

Qatar ready to help organise Africa Cup of Nations

Angola pass on Africa Cup of Nations; Qatar dismiss possibility of hosting outside Africa

Isn't there an obvious replacement host for this whole thing? It's way down on the southern cup of the continent.

Equatorial Guinea are Hosting it. South Africa Hosted the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations.

I don't know why people have to take things so personally when it comes to sporting event bids.

Anyway, the problem is that track and field is not popular enough in the USA for a permanent stadium of 50+ thousand capacity and there isn't much political will to subsidize athletics tournaments without public approval. Meanwhile there are oil countries willing to throw away huge amounts of money into these things.

As lovely as Eugene is, it's going to be competing against places like Doha or Baku. The USA isn't willing to throw away 50 million on the opening ceremonies for a world athletics championship, but the oil dictatorships are.

Edited by Nacre

It is so weird though, the richest country in the world (for a few more years), the most successful athletics nation- and they have never hosted the World Championships.

Same goes for Swimming too.

It is weird. But it's the way the world's are packaged and the fact that the hosting cities in the US have to show a profit or at least break even. The America's Cup in SF lost like $13.5 million and is NOT something the SF Ed Lee Admin can be proud of.

The IAAF and FINA don't care if their host cities are bankrupt or not after their events; so long as they deliver the championships. Unfortunately US cities do care because their admins are answerable to their citizenry.