2019 IAAF World Athletics Championships.

I'm Supporting Barcelona's Bid for the 2019 IAAF World Athletics Championships. Qatar is corrupt and Eugene would have a Stadium too small for the IAAF World Athletics Championships.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the things I thought about after yesterday's writing:

What's bigger in America? IAAF championships or Women's World Cup?

That doesn't mean NBC isn't going to want these rights. The question is whether they get it because it's cheap for them. Outside Sunday Night Football, the Olympics themselves, and (very arguably) Notre Dame football, NBC doesn't flash the cash that's flying around these days.

NHL?

And women's World Cup is by far more popular.

Eugene 2019 will happen if NBC throws in a good TV deal.

NBC can't play that card like they can with the Olympics. The IAAF World Championships is simply not a big enough event for them to pay big money for.

What's bigger in America? IAAF championships or Women's World Cup?

Not even close.. the IAAF championships could be held in the United States and most people wouldn't know it's held in the United States. The Women's World Cup gets attention wherever it's held, particularly if the United States is in contention.

That doesn't mean NBC isn't going to want these rights. The question is whether they get it because it's cheap for them. Outside Sunday Night Football, the Olympics themselves, and (very arguably) Notre Dame football, NBC doesn't flash the cash that's flying around these days.

Properties that NBComcast has rights to, other than the ones you mentioned.. NHL, Premier League football, the 2nd half of the NASCAR season (starting next year, I believe), about half of the PGA Tour, most of IndyCar, the Triple Crown horse races, Formula One, MLS, and the French Open.

Pretty sure all of those properties cost more than NBC would have to pay for the rights to the IAAF Worlds, even if they're held in the United States.

NBC can't play that card like they can with the Olympics. The IAAF World Championships is simply not a big enough event for them to pay big money for.

I'm NOT expecting them to pay exorbitantly as they do for the Olympics. If they overbid, that is their business. I was thinking of a sensible sum just to make the Eugene bid competitive and fiscally responsible.

I'm NOT expecting them to pay exorbitantly as they do for the Olympics. If they overbid, that is their business. I was thinking of a sensible sum just to make the Eugene bid competitive and fiscally responsible.

But does that benefit NBC to do so? If they're going to invest in Eugene getting the IAAF Worlds, will they get a net return from that. I don't think they will. And as BTH noted (which I wasn't aware of, so that's for that info), NBComcast already has the rights to 2019. So they don't exactly have much leverage in that regard.

But does that benefit NBC to do so? If they're going to invest in Eugene getting the IAAF Worlds, will they get a net return from that. I don't think they will. And as BTH noted (which I wasn't aware of, so that's for that info), NBComcast already has the rights to 2019. So they don't exactly have much leverage in that regard.

Well, they don't. I was merely hoping. I mean I really don't care where it goes since I can't do anything about it.

Eugene would be a nice departure from normal, a bucolic college setting in a beautiful part of our country. Hayward is near a number of interstate highways so it is not out there in the middle of nowhere and the stadium could easily be expanded to achieve the same attendance numbers that Osaka and Daegu drew during their championships. It might be "roughing it" by international event standards but it would be a refreshing change, if only for one time.

• 3 weeks later...

when are they deciding this thing??

It's almost 1 pm Monday Pacific Time. Approximately 15 hours from this post, we should see a voting result.

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/32434883-75/tracktown-ready-to-make-its-bid-for-world-championships.html.csp

I keep looking for some indications as to how Eugene's vote will fare. Hard to find. A column from last month probably lets you try to read between the lines... and Doha promises something that's a bit garish. However, for this event, at least it's not logistically impossible the way that, oh, a refrigerated football stadium might be.

http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/32343895-81/will-the-spirit-movethe-iaafs-leaders.html.csp

Corrupt. The Voting was obviously corrupt. Doha shouldn't have been given Hosting Rights for this. Barcelona had by far the Best Bid, Eugene even had a Better Bid then Doha. Barcelona should be Hosting the 2019 IAAF World Athletics Championships.

Well they didn't even have to buy this vote given who the other candidates were: same-old Barcelona sold themselves the same way as in 1992 or for the 2010 European Championships, and Eugene is too small anyway, US or not.

Archived