2019 IAAF World Athletics Championships.

Thought I would start a thread for the 2019 edition of the World Athletics Championships. I read up that there are 3 Official Bidders. I can confirm that Doha, Qatar - Barcelona, Spain and Eugene, Usa have Bid for the Games. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_World_Championships_in_Athletics.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Qatar has to bid for everything? <_< It's kinda annoying.

Also, Tony, the site redirects to the IAAF article. Although it's nice to see Barcelona in the race. I think they could be considered the front runners easily due to their experience.

Also, Tony, the site redirects to the IAAF article. Although it's nice to see Barcelona in the race. I think they could be considered the front runners easily due to their experience.

There are no official bids yet.

I do apoligise for the redirects to the IAAF Article. I copied the link from the 2019 page, but somehow, it redirected. Also, I agree that Barcelona is the front runner. The Stadium would need a Renovation, but the IAAF won't go to Doha, and Eugene is not the most experienced American Candidate.

• 2 months later...

Exclusive: Barcelona, Doha and Eugene set to Bid for the 2019 IAAF World Athletics Championships. Full story here - http://www.insidethegames.biz/sports/summer/athletics/1019440-exclusive-barcelona-doha-and-eugene-set-to-bid-for-2019-iaaf-world-championships - Source: Inside the Games.

I do apoligise for the redirects to the IAAF Article. I copied the link from the 2019 page, but somehow, it redirected. Also, I agree that Barcelona is the front runner. The Stadium would need a Renovation, but the IAAF won't go to Doha, and Eugene is not the most experienced American Candidate.

A city and stadium that has hosted one of the top yearly athletics competitions is not the most experienced American Candidate? You truly are an idiot.

Funny that the IAAF article already is pushing Doha first and Eugene second. No, I'm really down on Qatar.

The Eugene bid is curious. They've acknowledged the minimum 30,000-seat requirement, and have talked about installing more bleachers (and perhaps renovating or rebuilding the historic east grandstand) to get there. I know that's possible (there's just enough land to work with), but is it simply a matter of waiting for November before acting on it?

Also, hotels and motels in Eugene are limited. I'd think they'd have to involve Amtrak and Portland in a transportation program in the planning. Is that optimal?

Of course, it's Nike. Also, it's Nike. More than anything else, it's Nike. It seems like Eugene could poach this. It's just whether they fumble the baton if they get it that bugs me.

Of course, it's Nike. Also, it's Nike. More than anything else, it's Nike. It seems like Eugene could poach this. It's just whether they fumble the baton if they get it that bugs me.

Yep. If they can't get a stadium for a professional team in Portland, what are the chances they get a good stadium in Eugene built? The University of Oregon already has a [trackless] stadium, so unless Nike kicks in a few hundred million I can't see Eugene getting a world class athletics stadium.

Yep. If they can't get a stadium for a professional team in Portland, what are the chances they get a good stadium in Eugene built? The University of Oregon already has a [trackless] stadium, so unless Nike kicks in a few hundred million I can't see Eugene getting a world class athletics stadium.

Excuse me?

Funding in Oregon is a huge issue. They haven't been able to get a new stadium built for the Portland Timbers and likely won't until a private party kicks in all the money.

IAAF championships are now held at ex-Olympic stadiums with 50,000 capacity or greater. Hayward field is not going to suffice, and the chances of Eugene building a stadium on the level of Stade de France, the Beijing Olympic Stadium, etc seem very, very low. Unless Nike donates a few hundred million.

Funding in Oregon is a huge issue. They haven't been able to get a new stadium built for the Portland Timbers and likely won't until a private party kicks in all the money.

IAAF championships are now held at ex-Olympic stadiums with 50,000 capacity or greater. Hayward field is not going to suffice, and the chances of Eugene building a stadium on the level of Stade de France, the Beijing Olympic Stadium, etc seem very, very low. Unless Nike donates a few hundred million.

Nacre, if the IAAF had a serious problem with Eugene increasing the seating capacity to say, 21,000, perhaps they would've told the Eugene contingent by now. If they accepted Eugene's bid the way it is (and no, I haven't seen it); then the IAAF accepts the reality that a 21,000 seater will suffice for a small city like Eugene. Besides, Eugene probably couldn't handle an extra 35,000 visitors over 10 days. And since Eugene is the home of Nike, then the IAAF is probably open to having a smaller stadium but having their premier product in a prestigious setting in the US...rather than none at all.

I think the IAAF requirements for the IAAF World Athletics Championships is 30,000 Seats and it would be wrong to make exceptions. I'm supporting the Barcelona Bid, because Qatar is Hosting too much and Eugene's Stadium won't meet the requirements. Also, America is Hosting the 2016 IAAF World Indoor Championships in Portland. Sadly, I can see Doha buying their way to Hosting this though.

• 5 months later...

I cannot take Qatar anymore.

How much events a one million people country can host in empty stadiums ?

And I hate it that so many organisation use Qatar and South Africa as their new frontiers

At least South Africa is a real country, not just an estate full of natural resources run by autocrats treating their slaves badly.

At least South Africa is a real country, not just an estate full of natural resources run by autocrats treating their slaves badly.

Still a lot of sports federation see it at their alibi for saying they went to Africa when they could do much more to devellop their sports in other countries.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't compare U of Nike, excuse me, U of Oregon to Portland funding issues. If Phil Knight actually wanted to get something built in Portland, the money would be there. His taste for the major professional sports, other than as vehicles for shoe sales, is limited. Meanwhile, Knight donated the $100 million that cover the bonds for Matthew Knight Court, a $200 million (way more than needed for 12,500 seats) arena that's more than state-of-the-art. The last thing I'm worried about is whether Hayward Field will have enough seats by 2019. Many will be temporary, but that will get done.

It'll also sell out if that can be helped.

It's the remaining logistics that get interesting.

Don't compare U of Nike, excuse me, U of Oregon to Portland funding issues. If Phil Knight actually wanted to get something built in Portland, the money would be there. His taste for the major professional sports, other than as vehicles for shoe sales, is limited. Meanwhile, Knight donated the $100 million that cover the bonds for Matthew Knight Court, a $200 million (way more than needed for 12,500 seats) arena that's more than state-of-the-art. The last thing I'm worried about is whether Hayward Field will have enough seats by 2019. Many will be temporary, but that will get done.

It'll also sell out if that can be helped.

It's the remaining logistics that get interesting. Can you get everyone into and out of Eugene daily (or find a way to add hotel rooms)? Will the athlete dorms already at Hayward be expanded? Luxury accommodations for IAAF officials?

Eugene 2019 will happen if NBC throws in a good TV deal.

One of the things I thought about after yesterday's writing:

What's bigger in America? IAAF championships or Women's World Cup?

That doesn't mean NBC isn't going to want these rights. The question is whether they get it because it's cheap for them. Outside Sunday Night Football, the Olympics themselves, and (very arguably) Notre Dame football, NBC doesn't flash the cash that's flying around these days.

Archived