NBC's coverage of the Sochi Olympics

Quaker2001

But for all that people say how NBC has too much of a pro-American slant, they don't hold a candle to how CBC over-emphasizes the Canadian team sometimes, particularly in the case of controversial results.

cbc is much worse than nbc in this regard, but as we know Americans get a special scrutiny on everything which is a bit tedious

i LOVE the nbc coverage. production quality like no other

i recommend any American looking for a live international feed use bbc

Edited by paul

cbc is much worse than nbc in this regard, but as we know Americans get a special scrutiny on everything which is a bit tedious

the BBC coverage is so reliably balanced only because they have no athletes to root for.

So wait, let me get this straight, if you don't see it live on NBCSN, you don't see it at all? No repeats? Terrible.

What are you referring to? There are plenty of events (most notably the figure skating) that is on NBCSN and then is shown again on NBC. What exactly did you think NBC/NBCSN is or isn't doing? I thought the problem with NBC is that they don't show stuff live! Now you're complaining about it!!

Seriously.. for all the legitimate gripes people have against NBC, it's stuff like this that gives them a bad reputation. You're upset with them for something they're not actually doing. Terrible.

I wasn't able to watch the ceremony live this morning, so I don't know how heavily edited NBC's broadcast was, but I thought they did a decent job overall. The biggest issue for me was the absence of Bob Costas. I don't know why he wasn't at the ceremony, but he was sorely missed. Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira know absolutely nothing about the athletes, so we missed the usual tidbits about athletes to watch that Costas usually provides. Lauer and Vieira (and David Remnick) talked way too much during the artistic portions as well. NBC really hasn't found a combination of commentators that works well for the opening ceremony since Costas and Dick Enberg in the 90s--they were able to provide relevant information about athletes during the parade of nations but didn't talk excessively during the artistic portions. If they're not going to use Costas, then they should have had Mary Carillo in the booth as the sports "expert."

I wasn't able to watch the ceremony live this morning, so I don't know how heavily edited NBC's broadcast was, but I thought they did a decent job overall. The biggest issue for me was the absence of Bob Costas. I don't know why he wasn't at the ceremony, but he was sorely missed. Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira know absolutely nothing about the athletes, so we missed the usual tidbits about athletes to watch that Costas usually provides. Lauer and Vieira (and David Remnick) talked way too much during the artistic portions as well. NBC really hasn't found a combination of commentators that works well for the opening ceremony since Costas and Dick Enberg in the 90s--they were able to provide relevant information about athletes during the parade of nations but didn't talk excessively during the artistic portions. If they're not going to use Costas, then they should have had Mary Carillo in the booth as the sports "expert."

lauer and viera are idiots, and do this every time they're given a microphone during the olympics. every boorish, obnoxious american stereotype we fight against every day can be summed up in their ridiculous performance. i can't believe NBC thinks they're at all appropriate. i'm not saying gamesbids.com should call the olympics for NBC, but they could at least get people with some tact.

costas otoh is an irreplaceable part of the american olympic experience and i hope he never dies. i certainly would want my kids to grow up with costas calling the games like i did.

The only problem for some US users streaming over VPN is bitrate. In that regards, CBC may be more reliable. But you're able to get HD quality, BBC does have a neutral / comprehensive coverage.

I noticed this year, CBC Primetime is starting to look like CTV or NBC, with more interviews and segment pieces "sponsored by ...". That's not good. I prefer the old CBC, when they would focus on the events and keep chatter to a minimum (BBC style).

That said, CBC does good with live events so far. Knowledgeable commentary from a lot of young former Olympians.

What are you referring to? There are plenty of events (most notably the figure skating) that is on NBCSN and then is shown again on NBC. What exactly did you think NBC/NBCSN is or isn't doing? I thought the problem with NBC is that they don't show stuff live! Now you're complaining about it!!

Seriously.. for all the legitimate gripes people have against NBC, it's stuff like this that gives them a bad reputation. You're upset with them for something they're not actually doing. Terrible.

Before we continue this conversation, do you work for NBC? A simple yes or no answer will suffice.

Before we continue this conversation, do you work for NBC? A simple yes or no answer will suffice.

No.

However, full disclosure.. I did intern for NBC Olympics one summer and was on their crew for the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake. I do work in sports television, but haven't been affiliated with NBC or Comcast since then. As an Olympic nut, I feel I do have some allegiance to NBC and know more than a couple of people working for them in Sochi right now, but no, I have no stake whatsoever in their success or failure.

No.

However, full disclosure.. I did intern for NBC Olympics one summer and was on their crew for the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake. I do work in sports television, but haven't been affiliated with NBC or Comcast since then. As an Olympic nut, I feel I do have some allegiance to NBC and know more than a couple of people working for them in Sochi right now, but no, I have no stake whatsoever in their success or failure.

Shocking.

I think the NBC daytime figure skating crew is way better than the primetime crew. Time for a coup!

Hammond is approaching age 70. He says he's signed on with NBC through 2016, but he's no longer doing Notre Dame football games for NBC in what supposedly was a mutual decision (that spot went to Dan Hicks). I'm not big enough into figure skating to have an opinion on 1 crew versus the other, but I know there's more than a couple of people out there who feel the same as you do.

Shocking.

You know what.. not everyone hates NBC's Olympic coverage as much as social media would indicate. Between their streaming coverage and what's been televised (right now I'm watching from my DVR coverage of the training runs of women's ski jumping.. was that even shown up in Canada?), I'm very satisfied with NBC's offerings right now. And if people would take 2 minutes to calm down from their years of rage against NBC, they would realize that NBC's coverage of the Olympics has improved by leaps and bounds in the past 4 years. I realize that I sound like an NBC shill when I defend NBC, but part of these opinions come as a professional working in this industry, and more than that, the knowledge that if another network was covering the Olympics in this country, their coverage would probably be even more poorly received than NBC's has.

American Olympic coverage gets criticized every time out. It happened when CBS did the Winter Olympics. It happened back in the ABC days. The anger coming against NBC is nothing new, it just seems that way now that we look at everything through the lens of social media. What I find so appalling is that amount of ignorant nonsense out there from people who don't know any better. And if I can do a little to set them straight, maybe they'll be more satisfied with Olympic coverage, regardless of how they feel about NBC or Comcast.

• Like 1

No.

That's awesome!!! How did you get that opportunity? Did you specifically apply for an Olympics internship?

Also, I didn't see the oaths last night on the NBC Olympic coverage...

So do you disagree that their website this year is worse than the one they had for London?

It is definitely not better, that's for sure. Yes, it is not well-designed to be able to find what you're looking for, particularly in terms of live video.

I'm still trying to get clarification on your comment earlier about NBCSN, because that one maybe I can help you out with.

It is definitely not better, that's for sure. Yes, it is not well-designed to be able to find what you're looking for, particularly in terms of live video.

I'm still trying to get clarification on your comment earlier about NBCSN, because that one maybe I can help you out with.

Well, my complaint more had to do with the fact that I couldn't load the schedule properly on their website, so I didn't know that they are repeating the USA vs Finland Women's hockey game at 6PM on NBCSN.

Well, my complaint more had to do with the fact that I couldn't load the schedule properly on their website, so I didn't know that they are repeating the USA vs Finland Women's hockey game at 6PM on NBCSN.

I understand that. But still, this is what I was talking about.. okay, NBC's website leaves a lot to be desired, but instead of trying to figure out if the game was being replayed (which you could have figured out from any number of websites, probably including this one), you stopped looking, came here to post to vent your complaint and gave up instead of trying to find a solution, or perhaps asking someone here if they knew if the game would be replayed. This isn't just you, but it bothers me when someone doesn't do their research and then unfairly accuses a TV network of being "terrible" when that's not actually the case.

I shouldn't have to go to another website to get the answers I require.

No you shouldn't. But again, when you couldn't get the answer your wanted, the other website you chose to come to was here to complain rather than to try and find your answer. No offense, but I have little sympathy for your plight that the Internet isn't friendly enough for you, even if yes, NBC's website isn't set up all that well. You're on a discussion forum that's all about the Olympics.. you could have asked the question and someone could have answered it for you here.