NBC's coverage of the Sochi Olympics

Quaker2001

Between their streaming coverage and what's been televised (right now I'm watching from my DVR coverage of the training runs of women's ski jumping.. was that even shown up in Canada?)

Yes, CBC has feeds for every practice run and every training session broadcasted by OBS (12 feeds total).

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the NBC daytime figure skating crew is way better than the primetime crew. Time for a coup!

Yes, this is definitely true!

I don't have cable, so can't watch on NBCSN, nor live (boo). But, the daytime crew did most of the Grand Prix events on NBC this year, and they were much better! Gannon/Weir/Lipinski over Hammond/Scott/Sandra!

Hammond is approaching age 70. He says he's signed on with NBC through 2016, but he's no longer doing Notre Dame football games for NBC in what supposedly was a mutual decision (that spot went to Dan Hicks). I'm not big enough into figure skating to have an opinion on 1 crew versus the other, but I know there's more than a couple of people out there who feel the same as you do.

I will say, I find Hammond less annoying than Scott/Sandra somehow. Hammond is jolly, says silly things, but I don't expect him to know a ton about figure skating. I can deal with him as the voice of the 'every four years' fan. On the other hand, Scott and Sandra are heavily involved in the world of figure skating and then appear not to understand the current judging system, or at least assume no one else wants to learn to understand it... I can't forgive that! Plus, Scott's questionable social views.

I will say that Gannon appears to research figure skating quite a bit and ask much more intelligent questions of Weir and Lipinski than Hammond. I hope Gannon gets the spot Hammond vacates when he retries.

No you shouldn't. But again, when you couldn't get the answer your wanted, the other website you chose to come to was here to complain rather than to try and find your answer.

I came here to complain because this is the NBC Coverage Discussion thread, is it not? Then I went to TV Guide to get my answer.

Yes, CBC has feeds for every practice run and every training session broadcasted by OBS (12 feeds total).

Was it televised is my question? I know it was streamed.. NBC is streaming everything too. They're showing some downhill training runs now on NBC. Nice little bonus of something most people probably wouldn't have watched online.

I came here to complain because this is the NBC Coverage Discussion thread, is it not? Then I went to TV Guide to get my answer.

Yes it is. But your complaint was that NBCSN wasn't re-airing the hockey game. Which is incorrect. If your complaint is that NBC's website sucks, I'm not disagreeing with you on that one.

content is EVERYWHERE

stop complaining and just go get it

what's a tv guide :blink:

Yes, thank you. In this day and age, I fail to see why so many people out there can't take an extra 2 minutes to find content they know they're looking for. Should NBC lay it out more easily on their site? Yea, they probably should. But there's a dozen sites out there with very clear schedules for the Olympics (several of which have been posted on this site). I've read some posts from people on tech forums that were upset it wasn't handed to them on a silver platter.

Yes it is. But your complaint was that NBCSN wasn't re-airing the hockey game. Which is incorrect. If your complaint is that NBC's website sucks, I'm not disagreeing with you on that one.

My complain was valid at the time I posted because I had not found out about the re-airing of the hockey game until I visited another website.

My complain was valid at the time I posted because I had not found out about the re-airing of the hockey game until I visited another website.

Right, you complained because YOU hadn't found the information you were looking for. And instead of trying to find the information (or asking the crowd here), you stopped looking. So no, your complaint was not valid. Weeks ago, we could have told you the hockey game would repeat. I get not everyone thinks that far ahead when planning their Olympic viewing, but you can't give us the "at the time I posted" excuse, because the complaint was never valid in the first place.

Switching gears a little :

After a day of watching and testing various feeds, I think the most striking difference with NBC so far is the commentary.

The two men commenting ladies moguls were all over the place. No idea who they were, but in Primetime, they spent more time gossiping about the athletes' home towns than analyzing tricks. Until they got to Hannah Kearney, then they paid attention and got technical all of a sudden. For that event, commentary was a far cry from CBC's Jenn Heil.

Slopestyle was the worst. About half of the jumps and rotations were not even called. We had to guess.

Maybe it was Day -1 and NBC commentators were being a little tentative?

And again, it's NOT like I am going to scout all the VARIOUS coverages around the world to find out better ones which I CAN'T get anyway. So what's the point of all the comparisons & b*tching? I've got NBC and I'll live with it. It's NOT like it's going to change my life any. Jeeez.

Right, you complained because YOU hadn't found the information you were looking for. And instead of trying to find the information (or asking the crowd here), you stopped looking.

I didn't stop looking. I posted here so I could get into a conversation with you, earning us both multiple +1's, while I got the answer from TVGuide.

And again, it's NOT like I am going to scout all the VARIOUS coverages around the world to find out better ones which I CAN'T get anyway. So what's the point of all the comparisons & b*tching? I've got NBC and I'll live with it. It's NOT like it's going to change my life any. Jeeez.

That's your contribution to this thread? Seriously? If people were making comparisons and bitching about the Opening Ceremony, would you say what's the point?

I don't usually complain much about NBC's coverage, but the first two hours of NBC's afternoon coverage has been a rebroadcast of events shown earlier today on NBCSN. They started the broadcast with the exact same report on the men's downhill that aired this morning, and then they showed the women's skiathlon and men's 5000m speed skating. The women's skiathlon has now aired THREE times--NBCSN re-aired most of the race during a break in the figure skating. I don't mind NBC re-airing the figure skating events since the coverage will be different, but showing all of the events twice is not the most efficient use of airtime.

I don't usually complain much about NBC's coverage, but the first two hours of NBC's afternoon coverage has been a rebroadcast of events shown earlier today on NBCSN. They started the broadcast with the exact same report on the men's downhill that aired this morning, and then they showed the women's skiathlon and men's 5000m speed skating. The women's skiathlon has now aired THREE times--NBCSN re-aired most of the race during a break in the figure skating. I don't mind NBC re-airing the figure skating events since the coverage will be different, but showing all of the events twice is not the most efficient use of airtime.

Funny how people for years have been telling NBC to do exactly that.. show events live and then re-air them on NBC. Now they're doing it and saying it's inefficient. And we wonder why it seems like NBC can't win!

Why is it ANY LESS valid than the other bitches here, including you?? :angry:

You hadn't posted once in this thread. Someone made a note about the commentary and your response was "it's not like I am going to scout the coverage. So what's the point of bitching. I've got NBC. It's not like it's going to change my life" That's pretty self-serving, even by your standards. You're basically bitching about someone else bitching (to be fair, I'm bitching about that). Someone else points something out and you need to tell us how little you care because it doesn't affect you? come on, baron.. I'm trying to play nice with you here, but what was the point of telling us that? Fine, you don't care. So then don't jump into the conversation to tell us how you don't care because it doesn't affect you. No one cares that you don't care. If you have something about NBC's coverage you want to bitch about, let's hear it. But don't tell us Jeeez because another poster wants to note something about the coverage that doesn't interest you.

Funny how people for years have been telling NBC to do exactly that.. show events live and then re-air them on NBC. Now they're doing it and saying it's inefficient. And we wonder why it seems like NBC can't win!

Yeah, when it's reasonable for the entirety of the US to watch those events live. Opening Ceremony would have been reasonable for the entire of the US to see live. Yet it's delayed for no reason.

Yeah, when it's reasonable for the entirety of the US to watch those events live. Opening Ceremony would have been reasonable for the entire of the US to see live. Yet it's delayed for no reason.

It's delayed for a very good reason. Not a reason that benefits you or me as viewers, but reasons that benefit NBC's bottom line and their advertising partners. And unfortunately, they're more important to Comcast than you or I. Not streaming the Opening Ceremony was stupid.. NBC's own research tells us they should have done that. Not televising the OC live though, that one upsets me, but I at least understand why they do it.

I have no problem with NBCSN airing major events live and then re-packaging them for NBC daytime and primetime. I loved the live figure skating coverage this morning. I just think NBC could find a better use for airtime than to show a cross-country race three times.

Today's Scott Hamilton Tone-It-Down Award goes to Steve Schlanger and Chad Salmela. The screaming and shouting during the biathlon event was way too much. Salmela in particular was shouting so much that he was hard to understand. I'm surprised NBC didn't coach him on that after Vancouver--he got a lot of negative reviews in the media for getting overly-excited in his commentary.

It's delayed for a very good reason. Not a reason that benefits you or me as viewers, but reasons that benefit NBC's bottom line and their advertising partners. And unfortunately, they're more important to Comcast than you or I. Not streaming the Opening Ceremony was stupid.. NBC's own research tells us they should have done that. Not televising the OC live though, that one upsets me, but I at least understand why they do it.

Do you think their bottom line would have been hurt if they showed it twice; once as it aired with no commercials, and once later in primetime, tape-delayed, edited, and commercialized?

I know the ratings wouldn't be as good in the morning as the evening, but still, there's something to be said for being proactive.

I have no problem with NBCSN airing major events live and then re-packaging them for NBC daytime and primetime. I loved the live figure skating coverage this morning. I just think NBC could find a better use for airtime than to show a cross-country race three times.

Today's Scott Hamilton Tone-It-Down Award goes to Steve Schlanger and Chad Salmela. The screaming and shouting during the biathlon event was way too much. Salmela in particular was shouting so much that he was hard to understand. I'm surprised NBC didn't coach him on that after Vancouver--he got a lot of negative reviews in the media for getting overly-excited in his commentary.

I was joking on another forum that Salmela almost makes John Morgan's bobsled commentary seem tame! I hope for his sake he doesn't run out of gas before the end of the Olympics considering there's a few days with both a cross-country race and a biathlon race.

And not disagreeing with you about the re-airing of events. I had said a while back I had hoped NBCSN would take the onus off of primetime which could then focus on fewer events. Of course that went out the window when it was announced that figure skating would be live on NBCSN. Let's see what they have in store in primetime. Slopestyle and moguls had multiple rounds, so I'll be curious to see how much of each they show.

I really thought the speed skating coverage was good today. Robinson and Jansen are a pretty good team. It's not that easy to find enough things to talk about during 13 pairs for the 5000.

On the other hand, for cross-country it seems as though Trautwig has decided that talking a lot about ski wax is going to be his thing for this Olympics. Yay! Can't wait to hear him beat that to death for the next 2 weeks.

Archived