CBC's Coverage

SkiFreak

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait.. you mean NBC isn't the older broadcast that shows human interest stories and commercials?!!? Holy crap, I'm in shock and utter disbelief that could happen in Canada!!!

I assume you mean 'only' instead of 'older'. CBC is a public broadcaster, it use to be almost no commercials. They've always had human interest, but it was once every couple of hours, they also had historical sight/local flavour and other segments to showcase the host country/region/city. Their work on that for Beijing was very good. But this time its over and over again the same athlete and hometown profiles shown 6 or 7 times.

I assume you mean 'only' instead of 'older'. CBC is a public broadcaster, it use to be almost no commercials. They've always had human interest, but it was once every couple of hours, they also had historical sight/local flavour and other segments to showcase the host country/region/city. Their work on that for Beijing was very good. But this time its over and over again the same athlete and hometown profiles shown 6 or 7 times.

I think Vancouver 2010 is the year where we've seen a dramatic increase of attention and pride towards Canadian athletes. With 'Own the Podium' being rolled out for the first time and a record Games in terms of medals. CTV/Bell Media capitalized on this aspect further with the 'I Believe' campaign. They're the ones who started doing sponsored segments, with advertisers like RBC and Rona looking to capitalize on the strong feelings of pride and patriotism. This created a vicious circle, because athletes (especially medal-winning athletes) started gaining more visibility; almost superstar status. And more sponsors wanted to associate with CTV segments. The same formula continued with London 2012.

This year, CBC has more or less followed the same format for its Daytime and Primetime show: Raising an Olympian, and lots of profiles. Thankfully, the Overnight and Morning shows haven't been affected as much (due to live events being shown). And the key difference with Sochi is that we can watch the webcasts instead of the simulcasts. Webcasts don't have any 'special segments' or commercials.

The correct way. Here's hoping the Russians win far more medals than the US, but not as many golds, to teach NBC a lesson.

Uhh what lesson? And it's not only NBC, US media usually ranks by total, I don't think I've come across any that don't. But, I don't understand why this causes so much conflict on the internet? What is the big deal? Like for real most sites allow you to sort however you feel like now, even the Sochi site allows you to sort by total if you want.

Random time to do so, but CBC randomly decided to make like NBC and the old CTV coverage and make their opaque and coloured... in between intermissions at a hockey game. (SN and TSN are still using their translucent ones; specifically, ones they used on regular programming on the lead-up to London)

You begin to wonder why they didn't do that, uhh, 7 days ago?

Sorry for the double-post (why is there not an edit button?), but I meant bugs, sorry.

Could it be because of the big time difference? I wake up in the morning and find out on Facebook or other online media who won what while I was sleeping. There's a 12 hour difference between Sochi and Vancouver, for example, and 9 hours for the Montreal-Toronto time zone.

Could it be because of the big time difference? I wake up in the morning and find out on Facebook or other online media who won what while I was sleeping. There's a 12 hour difference between Sochi and Vancouver, for example, and 9 hours for the Montreal-Toronto time zone.

i have to say it sucks. who can watch short track at 4 in the morning?

Music that CBC is using:

http://musiccanada.wordpress.com/tag/winter-olympic-games/

There's also others like Pink's "Try" that they used in one of the montages.

Here's tonight's video segment ("Broken Teeth" by Sam Roberts Band):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3AkEvbWO5M

This was the one on Day 4 with "Try" by P!nk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awxV9BpTuq4

I just discovered this option on CBC (maybe a bit late), but it's amazing. Anyone saw this too?

You can watch up to four simultaneous streams in split screens.

8gVN9kil.jpg

Adding simultaneous streams:

* Open any CBC webcast:

* Wait for streaming to load.

* Click on Today's Video to bring a list of other available videos.

* Click on the third little icon; your screen will split in four. Do this again with another event to get up to 4 streams.

* You can also click the first icon instead (for picture-in-picture)

* Switch audio channel by clicking on the video itself.

I just discovered this option on CBC (maybe a bit late), but it's amazing. Anyone saw this too?
You can watch up to four simultaneous streams in split screens.
8gVN9kil.jpg
Adding simultaneous streams:
* Open any CBC webcast:
* Wait for streaming to load.
* Click on Today's Video to bring a list of other available videos.
* Click on the third little icon; your screen will split in four. Do this again with another event to get up to 4 streams.
* You can also click the first icon instead (for picture-in-picture)
* Switch audio channel by clicking on the video itself.

Oh dear, I am only discovering this now. Thanks!

Craig McMorris is a horrible commentator. It is horrendous having to hear is inane ramblings.

I think he was okay for Slopestyle and Half-pipe because he actually knows the tricks (something that is often not the case). But he clearly has no place commentating snowboardcross. Like, does Mike Robertson have a stutter we don't know about?

I really, really hope he won't be doing alpine snowboarding.

Archived