CBC's Coverage

SkiFreak

The last time I saw graphics in another language was Albertville.

Back to CBC, I've been splitting my online viewing between NBC and CBC (via proxy). It amazes me that it seems CBC has more interruptions for ads than NBC and not always at the best of moments, they stick them in the middle of snowboard runs and just as somebody lines up at the shooting range in biathlon (granted these are during on-demand viewing and the action does pick up where it left off). CBC also uses it's own commentators, while NBC uses the neutral world feed announcers. Having the CBC feed has been a blessing when NBC has fallen short at times, but I'd have to split hairs to say which one is better.

I've been watching CBC with Ad Blocker (Chrome or Firefox) - works well, haven't seen a single ad.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Australia-born Spring made the decision to switch citizenship after his home country’s dismal three-medal performance at the 2010 Vancouver Games, and he’s unapologetic about the move."

Not sure who pissed of CBC but Australia's performance wasn't dismal considering the circumstances.

Source

The problem is streaming is that the CBC doesn't skip if your connection gets choppy, it pauses. So you slowly get further and further away from LIVE. In some cases like the Bobsleigh we knew the thing was probably over and the results posted, but we had to block out this info and watch it for ourselves.

Fortunately at work they installed TVs :)

I don't have cable but here's hoping my antenna signal is strong this sunday!

Being at work (or in school) is precisely the reason why more people will stream - they're more likely on their laptop, tablet or smartphone (unless you're lucky enough to have a TV in your office).

On a weekend, people are more likely to watch at home, in bars, at parties, etc - where they'll prefer TV over streaming.

I'm curious to see how many Canadians will watch the broadcast on Sunday, and whether CBC will break records. Most likely not.

The record for most watched TV broadcast in Canadian history is the gold medal hockey game in Vancouver 2010 (16.6 million viewers watched the whole game, 26.5 watched part of the game).

The second record is the opening ceremonies in Vancouver 2010 (13.3 million viewers).

More confirmation about Canadians being Olympic hockey watchers from the CBC, especially if

http://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/canadians-watch-olympic-hockey-matter-what.html

Canada is involved

Except for any of the medal games in Torino. ;) And they let Gretzky manage the team. Then look what he did with our cauldron in Vancouver... ;):P

I was hoping CBC would release a Blu-Ray or DVD set of these games, but I just read that CBC does not have merchandising rights for these games. So there won't be a Blu-Ray/DVD release. :( They did release a decent one for Torino.

Anybody happen to know how long CBC will leave all their clips up for? I want to watch a bunch of stuff I didn't get to watch, and same with my dad when he visits me next month. I really wished they'd do a blu-ray set.

For the Vancouver Games if you waited a couple of years, you can purchase the Blu-Ray sets for Olympic Hockey and Olympics for $10/each at HMV

Unfortunately CBC is not releasing a DVD/Blu-Ray set due to the lack of merchandising rights.

Anybody happen to know how long CBC will leave all their clips up for? I want to watch a bunch of stuff I didn't get to watch, and same with my dad when he visits me next month. I really wished they'd do a blu-ray set.

the CBC Sports Channel on YouTube has lots of clips and I assume they are permanent?

After a while the official Vancouver 2010 and London 2012 Channel posted full events on their YouTube channels.

the CBC Sports Channel on YouTube has lots of clips and I assume they are permanent?

After a while the official Vancouver 2010 and London 2012 Channel posted full events on their YouTube channels.

Clips on the CBC Sports YouTube channel are permanent but geo-blocked.

Clips licensed to on-demand cable/satellite networks (Videotron, Bell, Rogers, etc) are available until August 2014.

I'm not sure about the CBC Olympics website - I would assume they will be available at least until this summer.

Those using the CBC Olympics app for Android, iOS or Windows will see an update on March 7th; the app will be refreshed with Paralympic coverage.

CBC has launched its website for the Paralympic Games:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/paralympics

Broadcast plans have also been announced today:

http://www.cbc.ca/mediacentre/cbcradio-canada-leads-the-canadian-paralympic-committee-broadcast-consortium-that-will-provide-more.html

And here's the CBC-TV schedule:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/paralympics/broadcast-schedule

CBC will only have daytime coverage.

Live coverage is only available as online streams.

Sportsnet will air primetime coverage, including full replays of the Opening/Closing ceremonies on Sportsnet ONE.

Yeah, wow! The shock and horror of not going live! :D

Our buddy on these forums CanadianSports offers his post-mortem thoughts of CBC's Sochi 2014 coverage. Overall, he likes them a lot for continuing the CBC's high Olympic broadcasting standards (even better quality than Torino) with special praise towards CBC Olympic Latenight co-hosts Andi Petrillo and Andrew Chang, the CBC Olympic women's hockey studio team, Craig McMorris and Jeff Bean, and how they utilized new media, apps, social media, and online streaming. He does include some CBC Sochi vids to exemplify his points, both good and bad, but they're very likely geoblocked outside of Canada. :(

http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.com/2014/02/27/cbc-continued-high-canadian-standard-of-olympic-broadcasting-in-sochi/#comments

Considering CBC is a publicly funded (free) broadcaster, comparing it to a Comcast sports specialty channel is a little moot, especially when it comes to... sports.

Doesn't stop the comparisons during the Olympics, now does it. The funny thing is that the Opening Ceremony of the Paralympics is at 11am ET. CBC is showing it 3 hours later at 2pm ET. Again, if NBC did that, I can only imagine the amount of feigned outrage we'd be hearing about

Doesn't stop the comparisons during the Olympics, now does it. The funny thing is that the Opening Ceremony of the Paralympics is at 11am ET. CBC is showing it 3 hours later at 2pm ET. Again, if NBC did that, I can only imagine the amount of feigned outrage we'd be hearing about

But it's the Paralympics, not to mention the Winter Paralympics. Not exactly a hot seller in North America on tv.

Archived