CBC's Coverage

SkiFreak

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you're referring to "Reach For The Sky" by Maestro Fresh Wes ft Classified & Blue Rodeo.

Selected by CBC on Feb 7th as one of the theme songs for their Sochi coverage.

Link to YouTube video

It's also on iTunes, Soundcloud, etc.

That's the song. Thanks. B)

One thing that I noticed based on the non-geoblocked CBC Sochi 2014 YouTube clips uploaded by others is that the English portion of the CBC used the official OBS graphics for Sochi. Radio-Canada Television by contrast opted for using its CBC/Radio-Canada graphics and font based from all the official Sochi branding there. I presumed since, as a major broadcaster in the elite tier, both would go and stay consistent. But they didn't. Did the CBC eventually stick with its own along with the OBS graphics? It was used for the Opening Ceremony, especially with the Parade of Nations I noticed in a screenshot.

CBC's press release explaining its overall Sochi 2014 coverage that it planned to show an enhanced encore version of the Opening Ceremony with Canadian Olympians' reactions. Had any of you saw it, what are your reactions to it? Was the viewing experience improved than the original first-run broadcast? Did Radio-Canada do likewise with its French-Canadian Olympians?

That CBC/Radio-Canada Sochi 2014 intro surely took some pages from the Canadian Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium's from Vancouver and London.

I was watching the GBR/SWE curling match online and they were using BBC (?) commentators.

Yes I believe it was the British commentators on the stream and Colleen Jones and someone else on the sportsnet feed.

They'll be OBS commentators then rather than the BBC. Similarly the BBC had used the OBS feed for most non-British games.

One thing that I noticed based on the non-geoblocked CBC Sochi 2014 YouTube clips uploaded by others is that the English portion of the CBC used the official OBS graphics for Sochi. Radio-Canada Television by contrast opted for using its CBC/Radio-Canada graphics and font based from all the official Sochi branding there. I presumed since, as a major broadcaster in the elite tier, both would go and stay consistent. But they didn't. Did the CBC eventually stick with its own along with the OBS graphics? It was used for the Opening Ceremony, especially with the Parade of Nations I noticed in a screenshot.

Do you mean the opening intros or the on screen graphics during competitions?

Do the OBS even do their graphics in other languages. It being the Olympics I assumed they did, but read something prior to Sochi which suggested they didn't, which wouldn't really be in the Olympic spirit. I wouldn't be expecting every language to be covered, but you'd expect for Sochi they'd at least have a French version and Russian version.

Do the OBS even do their graphics in other languages. It being the Olympics I assumed they did, but read something prior to Sochi which suggested they didn't, which wouldn't really be in the Olympic spirit. I wouldn't be expecting every language to be covered, but you'd expect for Sochi they'd at least have a French version and Russian version.

I don't think OBS ever had graphics in other languages than English. That would probably be a logistical nightmare, having to produce several feeds with graphics in other languages

The last time I saw graphics in another language was Albertville.

Back to CBC, I've been splitting my online viewing between NBC and CBC (via proxy). It amazes me that it seems CBC has more interruptions for ads than NBC and not always at the best of moments, they stick them in the middle of snowboard runs and just as somebody lines up at the shooting range in biathlon (granted these are during on-demand viewing and the action does pick up where it left off). CBC also uses it's own commentators, while NBC uses the neutral world feed announcers. Having the CBC feed has been a blessing when NBC has fallen short at times, but I'd have to split hairs to say which one is better.

The last time I saw graphics in another language was Albertville.

Back to CBC, I've been splitting my online viewing between NBC and CBC (via proxy). It amazes me that it seems CBC has more interruptions for ads than NBC and not always at the best of moments, they stick them in the middle of snowboard runs and just as somebody lines up at the shooting range in biathlon (granted these are during on-demand viewing and the action does pick up where it left off). CBC also uses it's own commentators, while NBC uses the neutral world feed announcers. Having the CBC feed has been a blessing when NBC has fallen short at times, but I'd have to split hairs to say which one is better.

On Demand viewing would be algorithm or time controlled ad breaks, that why it would interrupt the stream at strange times, i guess NBC may be a bit more attentive to this. Comparing Australian vs CBC coverage the commentary is definately more informative on CBC for most winter sports and the hockey coverage as an extension of Hockey Night in Canada is unmatched by any other broadcaster.

I have not seen any NBC coverage these games but there has been alot left to be desired at previous games. great to hear NBC getting better, but watching Ten Australia/CBC this year has shown how much standardisation is now occuring with OBS becoming the dominant force (comparatively to Beijing (no OBS) and Vancouver (First OBS)).

Question remains is NBC getting better or is it just because of OBS? (I'm not sure - open for debate)

Archived