Sign in to follow this  
SkiFreak

CBC's Coverage

Thought I'd start a thread for CBC's coverage.

I'm a little confused with CBC's webcast page. Slopestye is listed but I can't find a link to bring up a player. Anybody know where there is a link? I"m on this page right now:

http://olympics.cbc.ca/online-listing/index.html

:unsure:

...love how these broadcasters try to act so tech savvy and modern but cant keep a tiny feed up

I'm impressed with the webcasts on CBC. 720p for the most part. The sliding panel with live results and athlete profiles is useful. I hope their servers keep up with HD bitrate for the rest of the Games!

20140203-0139.jpg

I'm impressed with the webcasts on CBC. 720p for the most part. The sliding panel with live results and athlete profiles is useful. I hope their servers keep up with HD bitrate for the rest of the Games!

Once it got going is was pretty good. But going by the comments It looks like a lot of people had problems getting it going at first.

For those watching the Opening Ceremony online, it looks like you'll be able to choose between the broadcast (hosted by Peter Mansbridge) and the webcast (unedited OBS feed).

sOVf3LE.png

So, did CBC and Radio-Canada made an intro for the Opening Ceremony like CTV/RDS did for Vancouver, which I thought was great? Furthermore, what was the Opening Ceremony preview pre-show before the OC. What do you guys think? Would've like to see them from a Canadian POV. I noticed on the CBC's Olympic TV schedule that Radio-Canada Television isn't quite as wall to wall with its Olympic TV coverage as the CBC did; looks more like not going completely with each event (save for hockey) and going for the same time slots--RDS and TVA Sports go for their full events on their respective coverages.

CBC had a one-hour preview show. The production was very similar to CTV, with mini-features on Canadian athletes, a short retrospective of Vancouver 2010, a segment on Russia itself, a quick overview of the venues, the new events, and an introduction to the broadcast schedule planned for Sochi. One segment also mentioned athletes to watch from other countries.

In terms of coverage, I'd say the ratio is about 3/5th in English, 2/5th in French.

Radio-Canada is relying on RDS, TVA Sports, ArtTV, RDI and Explora to carry some of the coverage in French.

CBC has TSN, TSN1, Sportsnet, Sportnet One and CBC News.

There is a daily block between 5-7pm where none of the channels have Olympic coverage, leaving them clear for the news.

CBC had a one-hour preview show. The production was very similar to CTV, with mini-features on Canadian athletes, a short retrospective of Vancouver 2010, a segment on Russia itself, a quick overview of the venues, the new events, and an introduction to the broadcast schedule planned for Sochi. One segment also mentioned athletes to watch from other countries.

In terms of coverage, I'd say the ratio is about 3/5th in English, 2/5th in French.

Radio-Canada is relying on RDS, TVA Sports, ArtTV, RDI and Explora to carry some of the coverage in French.

CBC has TSN, TSN1, Sportsnet, Sportnet One and CBC News.

There is a daily block between 5-7pm where none of the channels have Olympic coverage, leaving them clear for the news.

OK, thanks for that! I knew that from the beginning of CBC's plans there will be slightly less French language coverage than in English. I need to study the entire CBC schedule more to see if there's more condensetion on the French side. Liked the intro with a re-recording of the CBC Olympics theme. Did CBC present an intro like what CTV and RDS did for the Vancouver Opening Ceremony? You know, that Stephen Brunt essay "More"? I do wish the multilingual coverage (OMNI, APTN, ATN) was retained, but it seems to hold greater interest when held in Canada and would be too cost-prohibited to do it again.

When they use footage from Vancouver do they use CTV commentary, or is it either OBS or no commentary. Not quite sure how the copyright works there - possible the IOC rather than CTV get the rights to the footage as it aired in Canada, and hence CBC can use it for archive footage purposes.

Here's the French version of the opener (until the IOC find it!) - easily the best I've seen this:

And the English version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZOa5hAzBmk

Did CBC present an intro like what CTV and RDS did for the Vancouver Opening Ceremony? You know, that Stephen Brunt essay "More"? I do wish the multilingual coverage (OMNI, APTN, ATN) was retained, but it seems to hold greater interest when held in Canada and would be too cost-prohibited to do it again.

CBC opened its pre-show with a 2 minute intro called 'Let the Games Begin' (the video is on YouTube but is geo-restricted; you can try to watch with Hola extension for Chrome/Firefox or via VPN).

There were more segments, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

I for one am happy to hear the ol' CBC Olympic intro music again. :)

It has pretty much been the same since Seoul 1988, just re-orchestrated with each Olympiad, adding a bit of local culture/sound into the mix.

Not the most impressed with CBC's coverage. Too much human interest/commercials

There's a lot of that in the winter because there's always several periods of downtime during the day at the Winter Olympics.

Not the most impressed with CBC's coverage. Too much human interest/commercials

Wait.. you mean NBC isn't the older broadcast that shows human interest stories and commercials?!!? Holy crap, I'm in shock and utter disbelief that could happen in Canada!!!

CBC is showing its medal table ranked with golds.

Yeah, so CBC joins the rest of the world!

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

Wait.. you mean NBC isn't the older broadcast that shows human interest stories and commercials?!!? Holy crap, I'm in shock and utter disbelief that could happen in Canada!!!

I'll just say this; CBC only does that for its Daytime and Primetime shows (when there are no live sports in Sochi time).

BBC does none of that. They don't even a studio (they do, but only using it as a command center).