• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

STFU

Can you stfu! this isn't about London or the Uk. FFS

They're really quite different. Vancouver focused on telling the story of the land (since you don't have too much human history. ) Russia told their history; their arts; their culture. But the

The non-opening ring, was the same as the last arm that didn't lift up during Vancouver 2010 OC, or the underwater cauldron that didn't raise for five minutes in Sydney 2000

Not exactly. Could you imagine if London had one of the rings fail to meet the others during it's Olympic Ring representation? Or what if the flame rings in the water failed to work for Athens? Torino 2006 where one or more of the rings fail to go into place?

They clearly leaked pictures of it working in rehearsals. It should have worked this time. I think they'll try to do the same snowflake to Olympic rings deal at the Closing Ceremony. Only to have it work this time.

Although it's not typical of Russia, I would have loved to have seen an in joke like Vancouver's failed cauldron piece at the Closing Ceremony.

You have a bunch of "workers" at the start attempting to finish the "surface" of the stadium by trying to pave it, or use a steamroller to surface it, or even try and lay down "video tiles"... Only to be ushered away by officials. Maybe an another joke about a "worker" wanting to install 2 toilets in the field, would have been too much? :P

Edited by Lord David

Well, can´t wait to actually WATCH it, since I am at work, but great time with you guys.

LIke 2010, I will be again a commentator for nordic events here in Brazilian TV, so won´t have much time to post it here. I will try to read and post it if I can.

You have a bunch of "workers" at the start attempting to finish the "surface" of the stadium by trying to pave it, or use a steamroller to surface it, or even try and lay down "video tiles"... Only to be ushered away by officials. Maybe an another joke about a "worker" wanting to install 2 toilets in the field, would have been too much? :P

if that was proposed, it obviously did not get the autocrat's stamp of approval.

re posting here

initial reaction

best bits:

the revolution(ussr)

starting part of war and peace

the carnival and the onion domes(i wanted more of that like the NHS bit in london)

the russian flag raising

and the parade of nations

sad bits:

the olympic rings. they did show a successful version after the lighting of the cauldron.

worst bits:

the mascots are too life like it's scary.

the jellyfish doves of peace

the ship bit ( i think it was entirely a non-starer)

the second half of war and peace (i might need more explanation)

the fireworks (we get it you have money to spend)

the cauldron ( love that they went pass all the ceremonies cast but the lighting was a bit dogey. also the not seeing from the stadium might be and irate for the IOC. of course all rules were in limbo since london)

DRAMA:

bach ( he went all bitchy and told the heads of states that you literally spitting on the athlete's face for not coming to sochi. DRAMA!!!!)

production stand point:

the props and the rail system the made was beautiful. i don't see it as olympic standard but it's beautiful.

i like the use of the floor projectors and films.

some elements of London were there. the forming of the rings, the audience lights (the used medals instead of putting wires in but still the same concept. Disney California adventure has those for there world of color fountain show.) the pillars from war and peace (some will say it's from Beijing but i think it's from London)

the little girl plot device has been done before but ok. the girl was no Nikki Webster.

the constellation part was a bit jarring. it might not be by the second watching.

pacing was good

the camera angles were atrocious (love or hate London, they had good angels to work with.)

these are initial reactions so i might mellow me reaction by the second viewing

if that was proposed, it obviously did not get the autocrat's stamp of approval.

I never said it was proposed. I merely said it would have been nice to have the Russians able to have a laugh at themselves. Show that they're not all authoritarian and such. It would have been a last minute inclusion before the countdown.

I never said it was proposed. I merely said it would have been nice to have the Russians able to have a laugh at themselves. Show that they're not all authoritarian and such. It would have been a last minute inclusion before the countdown.

russians don't laugh.

A retrospective of all past Games does not belong to opening ceremony tradition, even if it has been done several times in recent opening ceremonies. But I think they have definitely overdone it, and they simply don't need it at every new edition of the Games. It's always the same list of cities, only with another city added to it. ;)

However: I think that overall, this was a well produced, entertaining and quite a few times very impressive opening ceremony. It surely wasn't the best ever in modern Olympic history. Barcelona and Sydney (Summer Games-wise) and Lillehammer, Salt Lake and to a certain point Vancouver are still hard to beat, because they all had convincing narratives and in almost all cases perfect execution. BUT: Contrary to my initial fears, it was a lot classier and more coherent than Torino's opening and it also wasn't a purely effect-focussed ceremony as one might have expected, considering how much money they invested in that ceremony or the Games in general.

It was nice to see a lighter side of Russia, but also a highly cultural one. But: The ceremony certainly lacked the deeply human and moving side of Vancouver's opening ceremony, for example. I agree that the "little girl" narrative was stale, half-hearted and simply old stuff. The strong side of this ceremony, however, was the imagery. There were truly iconic scenes in it that could pop up in any future reviews of the history of Olympic ceremonies or the Olympic Games in general. The ballets were great, just like the Peter The Great and St. Petersburg segment or the Soviet and Space Age segments. And the Olympic constellations were magnificent, too. Too bad that that fizzled out completely by that letdown of cauldron lighting. It completely lacked excitement, the empty space between hangar and cauldron simply looked bleak and the lighting mechanism was boring and highly conventional as well, just like the choice of final torchbearers.

Overall, I would give it 8 out of 10. It was one of the better opening ceremonies, but with slight imperfections like the parade of nations music (but that is a matter of personal taste, of course) and the cauldron lighting. And I won't mention the "fifth ring" flaw here - I would count that as a mere accident.
Of all the winter ceremonies of the past 20 years, it was a lot better than Torino's OC and also considerably better than Nagano's, but slightly weaker than Vancouver's (at least in terms of "human spirit") and considerably weaker than Lillehammer's and Salt Lake's.

• Like 1

Sounds like it was a spectacular show!! The bear mascot looks somewhat like Misha(A nod to the 1980 Moscow opening/closing festivies?) Too bad that the political grand standing and boycotts prevented many from seeing the Moscow festivies i n 1980. Not a bit surprised who they chose to light the flame. Salt Lake City had Mike Eruzione and the 1980 "Miracle on Ice" team light the flame. Russia answered with Tretiak!!

So, could we say that Sochi broke the tradition of a creative countdown for the start of the ceremony?

Now here's someting I must be honest: if I was inside the stadium I would have probably been dissapointed because there was no chance of seeing the cauldron lighting from inside.

Am surprised there were no naked pictures of the Leader!! But I guess they plastered that in the hotel rooms!! LOL!!

I'm really curious at what point they decided to do away with a heavy ice show featuring a lot of their champion skaters and go with a purely 'dry stage' production instead.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

So, could we say that Sochi broke the tradition of a creative countdown for the start of the ceremony?

Now here's someting I must be honest: if I was inside the stadium I would have probably been dissapointed because there was no chance of seeing the cauldron lighting from inside.

oh yes the alphabet countdown..........visually nice. can't follow the damn thing

Am surprised there were no naked pictures of the Leader!! But I guess they plastered that in the hotel rooms!! LOL!!

I'm really curious at what point they decided to do away with a heavy ice show featuring a lot of their champions skaters and go with a purely 'dry stage' production instead.

think when they wanted to make the athletes enter underground, the whole ice stage idea was scrap

oh yes the alphabet countdown..........visually nice. can't follow the damn thing

Nice, but it should have had the Cyrillic spelling on screen so us non Cyrillic users would easily follow that the word spoken starts with said letter. It should have also started slow, then gone faster and faster.

think when they wanted to make the athletes enter underground, the whole ice stage idea was scrap

But that shouldn't have been the determining factor in the creative direction of a show. No; I think there was more to it than that. I think an "ice show" would've limited them very much (I mean, it would've been just another Ice Capades show); and I think getting all the past champions on the same page, stage and hall, was another big deterrent. That's my guess so far.

And then when they decided to build the full cover, that changed the whole creative direction. And notice, they only ended up using two Russian 'stars' - the Bolshoi ballerina who played Natasha and Anna Netrebko. I imagine many pop stars are lined up for the Closing.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

But that shouldn't have been the determining factor in the creative direction of a show. No; I think there was more to it than that. I think an "ice show" would've limited them very much (I mean, it would've been just another Ice Capades show); and I think getting all the past champions on the same page, stage and hall, was another big deterrent. That's my guess so far.

They could still do something during the closing ceremony?