GamesBids' Sochi 2014 Opening Ceremony Live Chat

Despite the 25 rings failure, the horrible music during the parade of nations and the always cheerful Putin, the OC was marvelous.

Specially for my favourite parts, like the peter and imperial russia segment, and my order of favs woc is 1. Torino 2006 2. Sochi 2014 and 3 Vancouver 2010

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm fine - enjoying a nice Sydney summer morning watching the OC now - forgot to set my alarm, and when I half woke after it had started, thought I'd just lay in and watch it all in comfort this morning. Right now fast forwarding through the Parade of Nations to get to Russia.

Hope you're well.

I'm fine - enjoying a nice Sydney summer morning watching the OC now - forgot to set my alarm, and when I half woke after it had started, thought I'd just lay in and watch it all in comfort this morning. Right now fast forwarding through the Parade of Nations to get to Russia.

Hope you're well.

No idea where my original response to this went but anyway - I am fine hope everyone is ok and enjoying or going to enjoy Sochi 2014?

I noticed that some elements you usually find in this kind of ceremonies were removed (e.g. the official song, the famous foreign pop star who comes to sing a song) and others which are not usual were featured (e.g. the mascots).

I definitely liked the Sochi opening ceremony. I also noticed some traditional features didn't appear. And one of those is when they remember previous Olympic cities. One thing I loved from Barcelona'92, Atlanta'96, SLC 2002, Athens 2004 and Vancouver 2010. What I liked was the introduction of the olympic mascots just like Moscow'80 and Barcelona'92.

I also enjoyed Putin's face when the Olympic rings did't opened all, hehehe. The best highlight of the Olympics history ever! ;-p

Well there are still some stupid people who didn't find a live stream like us fanatics and know nothing.

Well I already found one back in noon. I was badly disappointed that NBC HD had promoted to a higher subscription package than the one I already have, and recklessly running for a Canadian VPN to watch the CBC footage which ended shredded out, like the last ring that didn't come out, flooding Facebook and Twitter with the worst blunder since Vancouver 2010

yes tolerance is about us, the country in which 100 nations live, in country which defeat the world from nazis regime, which defeat Europe, but it is our deal what we do with LGBT, they are not punished here, i kniw several gays and they live free here whth no discrimination, maybe you should stop believing everything BBC and NBS say on TV, they did not show the real situation in Russia. I'm a student and I'm proud of my country for this ceremony

I hope you're surviving Post-Soviet society...this is what Gorbachev warned you, as well as your Belorussian, Ukrainian, and Baltic neighbours by New Year's Eve 1991-92

It was raining this morning, couldn't resist a sleep in, so it was MySky for this opening ceremony, just finished watching it.

Overall, I was impressed, it had a great mix of technology and some beautiful artistic moments.

Thought the alphabet video, while confusing, was beautifully done.

Certainly took the 3d aspect to another level, the track system on the roof certainly worked.

Loved the Peter the Great segment, and especially the onset of revolution, had hints of Athens and Dimitris Papaioannou to that I thought.

Great to see a slightly self depreciating aspect to the final cultural section.

I did think though that the cultural portion almost felt a tad unfinished. We had been taken to the mid 20th century, and then was kind of left hanging.

Obviously the opening segment was fantastic, but the ring was a disappointment.

I wonder, if there is a bluray of the ceremony, would they use dress rehearsal footage for that, to make it look flawless?

Cauldron lighting was ok, visually great and I didn't think it was that bad leaving the stadium, it did give us another aspect of the humanity aspect, the people who put on the show, full of joy.

Overall, will probably watch it again tonight, which is the sign of a pretty decent ceremony.

The non-opening ring, was the same as the last arm that didn't lift up during Vancouver 2010 OC, or the underwater cauldron that didn't raise for five minutes in Sydney 2000

Does it matter if they show it now? The whole world saw how it failed, and in our times and technology, that (iconic) picture will never be erased. It's perhaps a little unfair, but it happened for real and no re-run with cut in rehearsal footage can change that.

This moment has gone viral within minutes.

tumblr_n0n5b0ptuh1qbphfbo1_400.gif

Thankfully it happened near the end of a segment, so the malfunction didn't linger on screen that long. That said, unlike Vancouver and Sydney's cauldron, this glitch was picturesque; too obvious visually. That's why the ring has gone viral all over the web, and it's now "the" shot every news outlet will show.

Although we still had this great reaction from Vancouver :

v6mzw9.jpg

A retrospective of all past Games does not belong to opening ceremony tradition, even if it has been done several times in recent opening ceremonies. But I think they have definitely overdone it, and they simply don't need it at every new edition of the Games. It's always the same list of cities, only with another city added to it. ;)

I thought it was a tradition to go through past Games? I remember Atlanta had flag runners (one of each Game), Salt Lake (same but on ice), Athens had the race runner (a finish line for each Game), Vancouver had the snowboarder, London showed all the posters, etc. Maybe it was never part of the protocol - more like an unofficial tradition ?

Athens was by far my favorite. Barely 2 minutes, but a great tribute to past Games (and two World Wars):

http://youtu.be/U3XWrUQZ-W0?t=58s

So, could we say that Sochi broke the tradition of a creative countdown for the start of the ceremony?

I kinda liked the countdowns. Athens was creative (heartbeat). Salt Lake was very simple (fireworks). Beijing, way over the top (2008 drummers). Vancouver and London, a bit meh (projections/lights).

oh yes the alphabet countdown..........visually nice. can't follow the damn thing

Oh that was their countdown? Hmm. I couldn't follow either. But it made the parade of nations somewhat interesting.

And this guy, of course:

Bf4vTZHIEAASCuj.jpg

Other segments were almost all great. Personally loved the constellations, and the dove segment was the best I've ever seen the DVD done - very moving and just great music.

All I could think of : jellyfish.

enhanced-5246-1391797834-18.jpg

Dear friends, all in all, the ceremony was great, it was our ceremony, with a special Russian soul, which shows to whole world Russian history and culture. Unfortunately, the ring did not open, but it's machines and it could be, i loved this ceremony, please be polite, when say about our country, because some comments are very rude. We show Russia and do ceremony as we see, it is now history, so it would be useful for all to celebrate this wonderful festival.

p,s, I live in Sochi and we welcome whole world with big and warm heart!!!

Anything can happen live. We in Canada were thinking "no problem bro, we've been through it as well"!

Overall, a good show.

By the way, did anyone notice how there were no military for the ceremonial portion? Was it by choice?

I remember soldiers carried the nation flag and hoisted the Olympic flag in recent Opening Ceremonies... Beijing, Athens, London, Vancouver. Why not here?

Even the Summer Universiade in Kazan had Russian soldiers carrying the flag :

http://youtu.be/5bm2rjPz0Ic?t=36m13s

When the final torch bearers pair finally emerged outside, and as they ran 100 metres or so over to the Cauldron base, it was like they stepped on to the moon, or somewhere which had closed for the night, desolate, empty and disconnected from the usual surrounding crowds and atmosphere at the ignition podium. The whole setting was picturesque and very pretty lighting even though devoid of people.

Has anyone heard any reaction from stadium audience bloggers about what they felt about being disconnected from the pivotal moment of the OC?

When the final torch bearers pair finally emerged outside, and as they ran 100 metres or so over to the Cauldron base, it was like they stepped on to the moon, or somewhere which had closed for the night, desolate, empty and disconnected from the usual surrounding crowds and atmosphere at the ignition podium. The whole setting was picturesque and very pretty lighting even though devoid of people.

Has anyone heard any reaction from stadium audience bloggers about what they felt about being disconnected from the pivotal moment of the OC?

They should've put the cauldron on the edge of the stadium where everyone can see it (like Athens).

They should've kept the "running past the volunteers and cast" (easily the most emotional part for me), but instead, do it across the middle of the field.

It would've given a chance for the entire cast to join the rest of the audience for the cauldron lighting - seen from their own eyes.

It was raining this morning, couldn't resist a sleep in, so it was MySky for this opening ceremony, just finished watching it.

I just finished watching it too... same excuse (bar the rain - perfect summer sunshine here!). Bed was just too enticing by the time I half woke around the time the OC had already started.

Before I watched, I had made a brief trawl through the comments and critiques here. Main message I was getting was: rings fail, cauldron yawn, pretty good but not a perfect 10 all over. I guess that, and all the leaks and images on the board in the past week, lowered my expectations. And for that, thanks! I ended up being very pleasantly surprised.

Random thoughts:

* All in all, very cohesive and apart from those of glitches like the rings and Anna Netrebko's sound, very well executed. But the odd glitch always helps give it a human element. Doubt you'd ever get a perfect 10 scored ceremony.

* Great the parade of nations was done early in the ceremony, and speeded up a bit with the centre field entrance. Still fast-forwarded through a good nine-tenths of it, but the entrances I did view were at a good brisk, but unhurried, pace.

* The middle artistic segment(s) - St Basil's to the Soviet era - were all really gorgeously executed. Especially loved the Moscow in the 60s street scene, and the revolutionary segment leading up to it. Stylish and artistic.

* Liked that, bar the odd snatches of t.A.t.U and techno here and there, that for the main it was Russia's classical music treasure trove that connected it. Nice to have a predominantly classical score for once.

* Netrebko did a nice Olympic hymn (and I don't actually usually like the boring dirge) when the sound finally came right. When I told my partner Netrebko sang, it really sparked his interest to watch the ceremony again with me tonight.

* The dove was beautifully done. Okay, I can see the "jellyfish" comment, but the way they were lit when they twirled from an overview really did look like a flock of flapping dones. Probably my favourite non authentic-avian dove segment.

* The cauldron lighting I was expecting the least from judging by pre-reading comments here. Again, exceeded those expectations. Okay, it wasn't a Barcelona (or Sydney ;) !), and the walk outside the stadium to the base of the tower was spartan and devoid o people. But loved that just before that they walked through the ranks of the performers and props, who were joyful, proud and letting their excitement show. That gave the spontaneous, warm, human element that was perhaps the main thing lacking in the rest of the ceremony.

* I don't mind an out-spoken IOC president, or frankness at an OC. And at least Bach was even-handed in his barbs.

** Who was the guy siting behind Putin in the jacket wit the bid Red Star on i?

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the mascots appearance too, wasn't too hokey at all. Certainly no crying Misha or Cobi Silver Boat, but still a nice inclusive moment for the kids I guess.

Archived