GamesBids' Sochi 2014 Opening Ceremony Live Chat

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We know that the Opening Ceremony (aside from really important stuff) does a dry run a day or so before. Think NBC recorded that, and will show the rings actually forming the way they were supposed to?

Does it matter if they show it now? The whole world saw how it failed, and in our times and technology, that (iconic) picture will never be erased. It's perhaps a little unfair, but it happened for real and no re-run with cut in rehearsal footage can change that.

How would you rank the ceremony, Myles?

An A-; perhaps an 8/10.

They really tried new ideas; especially the use of the above-stage space; they stayed very much in the Russian character with WAR & PEACE, SWAN LAKE and were quite honest about their turbulent past. That I liked. (I also missed the first part; came in during the Parade of the Nations).

As I posted in the other thread, glad I didn't pay to go to Sochi only to have the highlight, the lighting of the cauldron, happen outside. I thought that was a disappointment.

Does it matter if they show it now? The whole world saw how it failed, and in our times and technology, that (iconic) picture will never be erased. It's perhaps a little unfair, but it happened for real and no re-run with cut in rehearsal footage can change that.

Well there are still some stupid people who didn't find a live stream like us fanatics and know nothing.

Overall an excellent effort. It's so hard to compare ceremonies when the technology keeps getting more and more advanced, and the budgets keep getting bigger!

Overall I enjoyed the show, was of course sad when the ring didn't work - I kept thinking back to london and how awful it would have been if one of our rings failed to move or fire. It's THE shot of the opening ceremony and it unfortunately failed. Just sad nothing else.

Other segments were almost all great. Personally loved the constellations, and the dove segment was the best I've ever seen the DVD done - very moving and just great music. Bachs speech was pretty good - at least less diplomatic than the rogge stuff we've got used to.

I'm less bothered about the cauldron lighting. I thought it was a pretty good group of final 6 and really good choice of final two. I'm glad there wasn't a weird situation with a second cauldron inside - and them running past all the cast and the props was quite emotional. But the empty park was a shame. The lighting mechanism didn't look too clunky from the angle it was shown from either.

Overall a good show, with the ring working it would be right up there! I think some of those segments might be classics that we refer back to here at future ceremonies.

We know that the Opening Ceremony (aside from really important stuff) does a dry run a day or so before. Think NBC recorded that, and will show the rings actually forming the way they were supposed to?

besides, in the hands of NBC, they whole ceremony might be botch to fit in an interview with michel phelps #london2012 #NBCfail #stillbitter

Dear friends, all in all, the ceremony was great, it was our ceremony, with a special Russian soul, which shows to whole world Russian history and culture. Unfortunately, the ring did not open, but it's machines and it could be, i loved this ceremony, please be polite, when say about our country, because some comments are very rude. We show Russia and do ceremony as we see, it is now history, so it would be useful for all to celebrate this wonderful festival.

p,s, I live in Sochi and we welcome whole world with big and warm heart!!!

On Prime TV (NZ) they had a small recap of the ceremony (It was pretty much a picture (video) slideshow that lasted a minute) after watching it and for some reason the showed the image of the failed ring, i was like this isn't something you want to highlight guys.

It was actually a much better ceremony than I expected. There's some stunning imagery especially love the medieval Russian onion domes (thought they were fun, quirky and colourful), the dove segment with swan lake score, the constellation of athletes, and my favourite is perhaps the whispering countdown at the beginning. I thought it was such a brilliant idea - evokes the silence of snowfall in winter and it almost set my imagination run wild about the tone of the opening segment ala Russian winter ala Anna Karenina. It was unexpected opposed to the usual high-octane countdown we usually see.

I thought the cauldron lighting isnt too bad, the cast cheering them on is quite moving. Shame when they were outside the stadium it suddenly became cold and empty. Should have arranged members of public lining up on the plaza too. Although the Olympic ring malfunctioned, I thought it could be one of the most beautiful Olympic ring manifestation of all ceremonies, it was quite ingenious. Only if it didn't screw up.

Overall, this ceremony reminded me a lot of Beijing 2008. A lot of huge floor projections, which I think is quite overdone, been there done that now. In comparison, I somehow like London's down to earth, old-school approach with real theatrical set rather than a lot of video, electronic wizardry. It's actually quite refreshing although the sacrifice was London's show might not appear as polished and 'high tech' as these shows. Good effort for Sochi overall, I'm glad we saw something very Russian. It is still a culturally and historically rich country after all.

Only Russia knows. I believe it was a coincidence and accident. They wouldn't make themselves look a fool to hurt another country.

that's totally wright, why do you think that Russians are so uncultural, we have our own way in history and if it not the same as the west world has, it is not bad, we are different and let be polite to each other and tolerant

that's totally wright, why do you think that Russians are so uncultural, we have our own way in history and if it not the same as the west world has, it is not bad, we are different and let be polite to each other and tolerant

I know I have criticised Russia's ways of Homophobia and Corruption which is true, but I stress it is not the public, it is Putin and his Government.

Just watched Vancouver 2010's cauldron malfunction for the first time on youtube. It's so reminiscence of Sydney where they waited for ages not knowing if the cauldron was going to function or not. I guess it's better to have 3 cauldron rather than none coming out of the ground at all! Can you imagine the nightmare if they really can''t manage to get the cauldron out? I dare not even imagine. All future ceremonies should really try not to be too gimmicky with all these moving parts - they can be so unpredictable eg. Vancouver, Sydney, Sochi. Thank goodness London and Athens moving cauldron functioned perfectly, they seemed particularly tricky too!

Ah, tolerance, a trademark of Russia.

yes tolerance is about us, the country in which 100 nations live, in country which defeat the world from nazis regime, which defeat Europe, but it is our deal what we do with LGBT, they are not punished here, i kniw several gays and they live free here whth no discrimination, maybe you should stop believing everything BBC and NBS say on TV, they did not show the real situation in Russia. I'm a student and I'm proud of my country for this ceremony

yes tolerance is about us, the country in which 100 nations live, in country which defeat the world from nazis regime, which defeat Europe, but it is our deal what we do with LGBT, they are not punished here, i kniw several gays and they live free here whth no discrimination, maybe you should stop believing everything BBC and NBS say on TV, they did not show the real situation in Russia. I'm a student and I'm proud of my country for this ceremony[/size]

LGBT...Pussy Riot, Greenpeace...you can do in your country what you want, but at least I can choose whether to watch independent TV news or state controlled ones.

But let's leave it like that. None of us will convince the other to change his views.

Archived