The Sochi 2014 Underdogs

BBC outlined the underdogs to watch out for over the next couple of weeks. Of course the Jamaican Bobsled Team, but also Vanessa-Mae the violinist?

BBC: Sochi 2014: 10 unlikely contenders at the Winter Olympics

In case you didn't know who Vanessa-Mae is...

"Well, it's kinda a winter sport you know..."

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the first run of Women's GS. The conditions of the run absolutely suck, rain and crappy snow. Reminds me of a few times when I used to race GS in high school back on Vancouver Island on Mount Washington. Lots of girls DNFed, but I did catch Vanessa-Mae's run and surprisingly, she finished! Hardly any spectators in the stands. I did like the old guy with the souvenir bag on his head.

New Zealand has pretty much finished it's Olympics here in Sochi. Last chance to podium was today with the Wells brothers comming up oh so short in the half pipe. A good result in the 10k Speedskate...but really, we are not a major winter sports nation and this hasn't been our strongest team.

Crook puts British Virgin Islands back on Winter Games map

To Adam Crook it made no difference that he finished second-last men's ski halfpipe qualifiers on Tuesday, it was enough that he had become the first athlete from the British Virgin Islands to compete at a Winter Olympics for 30 years.

Speedskater Errol Spence, who raced in Sarajevo in 1984, is the only other athlete the Caribbean nation has sent to a Winter Games, and it almost did not have one in Sochi either.

"When we first went to the British Virgin Islands Olympic Committee, they thought I was talking about water skiing," the 21-year-old told reporters.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/thesochinetwork/crook-puts-british-virgin-islands-back-winter-games-180402496.html

Archived