The Mistake of 1986

Many of will disagree, but I stated before and still believe in it, it was a mistake for the IOC to have the winter games not in the same year as the summer games. It’s still makes no sense that putting the winter games in the same as the FIFA World Cup, Commonwealth Games Asian Games and also the YOG.

Last week I was in Brasilia, the main talk is the World Cup, many locals could care less about the winter games. Outside North America and Europe no one cares. The talk is the grouping of the World Cup. As for the Commonwealth Games its somewhere out there.

Couldn't disagree more. The winters has grown out of the shadow of the summer games now that it has its own year.reviously the build up to olympic year was dominated by the summer games, now the media and broadcasters can spend more time focussing on the winter athletes, which gives them greater exposure.

In addition the IOC can focus its attention on the preperations of each host individually rather than having the headache of two games in one year.

The sponsors too can spread their budgets. Instead of McDonald's having to make their yearly marketing budget spread over two games they can instead spend the money on two separate games - it means more money for the winters as well as the summers.

Most importantly though I think for sports fans it's great that instead of having to wait four years to see the five rings flying high, we get to do it once every two years.

• Like 3

Well, the WOG are always limited to few countries who are taking part and winning medals. This wouldn't change regardless in which year they're held.

If,let's say, they'd be in odd years, they'd only have maybe the Athletics World Champs to compete with globally, but people in Brazil still wouldn't care.

Anybody who thinks that was a mistake has to be in the minority. I remember the two Games years and then the three and half barren years in between, it was interminable.

Personally, I put a lot of preparation into getting ready for each Olympics and back then the summer games got short shrift because I only had a few months to focus strictly on them (remember this was before the internet and info was harder to come by). I also was quite fatigued by the end of the summer games and the split definitely eased the burnout factor.

From a business standpoint, it was a great decision because the winter games got to stand alone and I think they have become the better for it. The five rings get exposed every two instead of every four years which is better for any business.

As an avid WC follower, this has had little impact there as it is a single sport event. Of course as an American, I have little exposure to the Commonwealth and Asian Games (which are moving in 2019 anyway).

Nonsense. The Commonwealth games are a complete non-factor, the Asian games are getting moved up a year anyway and the World Cup and the Winter Olympics are completely different types of events. The Summer and Winter games, however, where directly competing against each other for attention.

Though I can remember the last time that both Games were held in same year, I've become accustomed to this present cycle and can't really imagine it any other way. For the IOC and the Games this must be better, but in the grand scheme of things I don't see the Winter Games as particularly significant. Minority sports, practised by a handful of first world countries, getting an uplift through Olympic status.

Many of will disagree, but I stated before and still believe in it, it was a mistake for the IOC to have the winter games not in the same year as the summer games. It’s still makes no sense that putting the winter games in the same as the FIFA World Cup, Commonwealth Games Asian Games and also the YOG.

Last week I was in Brasilia, the main talk is the World Cup, many locals could care less about the winter games. Outside North America and Europe no one cares. The talk is the grouping of the World Cup. As for the Commonwealth Games its somewhere out there.

What a shock that is that Brazilians are talking about a World Cup that THEY are hosting. When they have won a total of 0 medals in their Winter Olympic history. I would amend the "Outside North American and Europe" to include most of Asia as well, you know since they're hosting the next Winter Olympics and all. At which point you're talking 6 billion out of the 7 billion people in the world.

As I understand history, the move was made to ease the burden on sponsors and broadcasters so that they wouldn't have both events in the same year. Not so easy to follow a Winter Olympics with a Summer Olympics just 5 months later. Easier for everyone involved if they're in separate years. The only event of consequence they're up against is the World Cup, and the Olympics are more than 3 months clear of them. The CWG, the Asian Games, and especially the YOG are of little concern to the IOC. It was a smart decision then and remains a smart decision now.

• Like 1

Look at Torino, empty seats, but Vancouver and Salt Lake packed the IOC cannot rely on North America to have successful games. If the World Cup is in Europe many won’t care remember Madrid. Football is a passion in Europe a religion in South America.

What, so if it was Torino 2004, it would have filled up more seats, being an actual Olympic year?

I would amend the "Outside North American and Europe" to include most of Asia as well, you know since they're hosting the next Winter Olympics and all. At which point you're talking 6 billion out of the 7 billion people in the world.

Lol, no way. East Asia isn't "most of Asia". I wouldn't include all of Europe either, only the parts which have natural conditions for winter sports, that is Scandinavia, Eastern Europe and the Alpine regions. Do for example British people really care about winter olympics, not to mention the Meditarrenean region? I've seen with my own eyes how some parts of the world have zero interest in Winter Olympics due to not being able to even practise them. No, I repeat these are marginal sports practised by mostly the wealthy minority of this world.

Agree with the majority - the baffling thing is why they were ever in the same year in the first place.

Taking it back to the opening post and perhaps there is an argument that placing the Youth Olympic Games in Olympic years is a mistake. They are a relatively small event but if they do grow as I suspect the IOC would like them to moving them to odd years would surely then make sense - though then it's the tricky decision of whether a Youth Games should be placed in the year before or after the main games.

That was probably the main driving force of seperating them TBW. With each passing edition, both sets of Games themselves were growing, along with the work that came along with them, so it finally just made sense all the way around to give them each their own growing space.

I like things just the way the are. Having a steady stream of Olympic fever every other year. instead of being bombarded with Olympic fatigue in one year, then having nothing else until another four years later. Not to mention the bidding processes too. Would be overload one year here on gamesbids, then virtually nothing the following years.

I have to agree with most people here. Separating the summer and winter editions on different years to let them have their own space was a great choice, and has made the Winter Oympics have more spotlight on recent years, something which wouldn't had happened if not by this.

I think the Winter Games have grown stronger, in size, identity and recognition since splitting with the SOG. This winter period (Jan-Feb) is also strangely a quiet one on the World Cup front; the qualifiers are finished, the draw is done, too early for warm up friendlies, the host nation is usually in a frenzy of final building works, so I actually don't think it clashes at all.

I am sure the people of Qatar, a known powerhouse of football and winter sports, will be very concerned with the clash in 2022.

I think the Winter Games have grown stronger, in size, identity and recognition since splitting with the SOG. This winter period (Jan-Feb) is also strangely a quiet one on the World Cup front; the qualifiers are finished, the draw is done, too early for warm up friendlies, the host nation is usually in a frenzy of final building works, so I actually don't think it clashes at all.

I am sure the people of Qatar, a known powerhouse of football and winter sports, will be very concerned with the clash in 2022.

I'm guessing that last sentence was sarcasm.

• 2 weeks later...

In response to the first post, would Brazil actually care about the winter games if they were held the same year as the summer games? Brazil is a tropical climate and not much interested in winter sports. I am glad the winter and summer games are two different years. As a result, it is never more than two years between events. And the world cup takes place months after the Olympic winter games close. There is no conflict there.