For those who wonder why I have created this Topic, my reasons are that I'm fascinated about City comparisons. So I would like to hear everyone's opinion's on the 2 Cities I put up against each other each time. The only rule is, is that Member's from one of the Cities or Countries of the City Competed cannot vote (this is to stop Bias opinions). Here is the first 2 Cities:

Taipei:

VS

Kuala Lumpur:

Fucking (Austria) vs. Dildo (Canada)

Needmore (USA) vs. Cockburn (Australia)

Why (USA) vs. Boring (USA)

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch vs Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu

(These are actual places)

• Like 2

If you want to judge favorite cities why don't you just ask for a top 5 and least favorite by continent? It will be easier to answer that since relatively few people who don't live in Asia have been to both Taipei and Kuala Lumpur.

My favorites are . . .

Top 5 North America:

1. New York

2. San Francisco

3. Miami

4. New Orleans

5. Seattle

Worst: Las Vegas

Top 5 Europe:

1. London

2. Rome

3. Paris

4. Lisbon

5. Stockholm

Least: Milan

• Like 1

ok well this thread sucks, so i'm just going to talk about my favorite cities for a bit like nacre.

taipei.

a while back they were going to have this conference in taipei that sort of related to my work, but it was brand new and very international, while we were domestic oriented. anyway they called me up on the phone and told me that if i went they'd pay for my hotel and all i'd have to do was pay the airfare, but i couldn't get my company to pay for me to go to taipei for no discernible purpose. except i read about these night market thingies and they seriously look so cool. basically, you go shopping for food and chinatown stuff but late at night, kind of like when you go to the carnival an hour before it closes and the only people you see are cool teens without their parents being cool. tony e.: that's what the cool kids in your class are doing on friday night while you're on here annoying the **** out of us. anyway: night markets. i really want to visit them. and i also have this idea that taipei is the new tokyo. just in my head, that's all.

shilin-night-market-taipei.jpg

montreal.

i lived here for a bit and it's seriously such a cool, cool, cold, freezing, frostbite city. so cold. and in the summer? humid. horrible weather. i have a theory that they do that on purpose so that uncool people don't live there because everyone is so cool in montreal. and they have this underground city thing. it's so random. once, my friend kiran showed me a new top she bought and i asked where she got it and she said "at the mall in the metro station" and i asked which one and we realized EVERY METRO STATION HAS A SHOPPING MALL. that is seriously so cool. and the french they speak is so inscrutable, it's kind of sexy. and on american apparel bags, it's the first city listed so that should tell you something.

here's a pic of the spanish burning down montreal.

c%C3%A9l%C3%A9bration_de_la_victo-Boulev

new york.

this isn't in order, btw, it's just my own order of cities that come to mind, which subconsciously might be an order in and of itself. new york is where i grew up and it's pretty much the best city in the world. it has this amazing energy that no other city has. it's fun to just be there. and it's prohibitively expensive and the weather's not much better than montreal. but it's still the best city in the entire world by a long mile. i don't even have to sit here and give you reasons why like i do for other cities. it's new york. it doesn't need me to speak for it. all other cities suck when you compare them to new york. that's just like science. and have you ever had a snowball fight on the UWS outside natural history? no? well. + gossip girl. i can't step foot inside grand central without thinking "someone saw serena at grand central station." can you? enough said. oh, and also this one time me and my ex were walking by st. mark's sqaure on a spring night and this girl outside trash & vaudville said "i need a sweater. this skank ass bitch stole mine." like she only had one! i sent it to overheardinnewyork for wednesday one liners but they didn't publish it.

below, buskers! omg, who doesn't miss new york terribly after this post?

59th_StreetndashColumbus_Circle_New_York

vienna.

this city is like a museum. every avenue is manicured and has sculptures on it, and the buildings are so ornate and magnificent. and everything is so efficient: the escalators don't move unless someone stands on it. it's so foreign to american's because we don't have anything like that. we have strip malls. europe gets renaissance and enlightenment architecture and we get jamba juice and juanita's hair and nail anchored by a bed, bath & beyond. i suppose it's the price for freedom, though.

63_big.jpg

san francisco.

it's not fair to compare SF to new york, but it's a cool city on its own. the hills and the pastel colors and the cable cars and the little power lines strung up over every street to help the buses give it this charm. most cities i like to go get lost in on foot because that can be a lot of fun when it's not raining, but you can't do that in SF because of the hills. have you ever been to the haight? i love how none of the stores open before 1. like i said, charming.

houses-columbus-ave-northeast-san-franci

las vegas

okay, yes, i'm only including this because nacre said this was the WORST city in the US, but that's so uncool. (i bet you don't live in montreal). there is no city in the world that is so unabashedly hedonistic as las vegas. the gulf cities? pssh. their whole thing is to be the "vegas of the middle east" with all the trump-style development but without the booze and gaming. first, if you have to be the ___ of your region, that means your second rate right there. plus, they built a freaking pyramid. think of human civilization for a second. think of how many hebrew space alien slaves it took to build the original pyramids and then think of how flippantly vegas built its. for kicks and kitch. this is america: we built a freaking pyramid next to a medival castle, and that's now considered the declasse part of the strip. when i go there twice a year, i blow $500 on slots and drink myself stupid and hit on straight guys. and i won $600 once on lotus jasmine! true story. i bought a pair of shoes at feragamo at caesars, which is exactly what they want you to do.

slot%20machines.JPG

sydney

i went here once a few years back. cool city. it's like LA + SF + topical birds. very expensive though. loved manly. loved bondi beach and meeting australians. i actually can't reminisce atm because i have to go do something else because i'm bored. no time for a pic. imagine that damn opera house here, or something (cool tour, btw, totally worth it. it was built in shells by some scand or something, and they kicked him out of australia because that's what they do to all non convicts who contribute to the country's architectural heritage.) btw, did you ever read the fatal shore? brutal book, but so good. my favorite line: "But the great mystery for the Aborgines was the sex of the whites. They poked at the marines' breeches. Finally King ordered his men to satisfy their curosity. The embarrased marine fumbled at his fly, and the first white cock was flashed on an Australian beach."

Edited by krow
  • Like 3

(My) London, England. :D

Yes, but you're a bit biased, aren't you? ;)

Fucking (Austria) vs. Dildo (Canada)

Needmore (USA) vs. Cockburn (Australia)

Why (USA) vs. Boring (USA)

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch vs Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu

(These are actual places)

Why Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch of course! Denied the 2020 Un-Olympics or whatever they were called because they supposedly had room and land to host Equestrian events or something like that. :P

okay, yes, i'm only including this because nacre said this was the WORST city in the US, but that's so uncool. (i bet you don't live in montreal). there is no city in the world that is so unabashedly hedonistic as las vegas.

Las Vegas isn't really even a city, but rather a massive theme park for vice. It has no art or culture of its own, it just steals stuff from other places. If you aren't a hedonist it's a really boring and depressing place to go. I've never been able to decide if the seniors gambling away their retirement funds in slot machines or the single moms who abandon their kids in hotel daycare to go get wasted are more sad.

For a gay guy who enjoys flirting with straight dudes I'm surprised you haven't run into trouble. Vegas seems to be much less gay friendly than LA, Austin, Miami, San Francisco, Seattle, New York, etc.

Las Vegas isn't really even a city, but rather a massive theme park for vice. It has no art or culture of its own, it just steals stuff from other places. If you aren't a hedonist it's a really boring and depressing place to go. I've never been able to decide if the seniors gambling away their retirement funds in slot machines or the single moms who abandon their kids in hotel daycare to go get wasted are more sad.

For a gay guy who enjoys flirting with straight dudes I'm surprised you haven't run into trouble. Vegas seems to be much less gay friendly than LA, Austin, Miami, San Francisco, Seattle, New York, etc.

Las Vegas is a City.

Vegas isn't for everyone, but it is a great city. If you don't like to gamble or drink, there is shopping, dinning, entertainment, spas, easy access to some great natural environments, the Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon.

My favourite American cities are New York and Denver.

Las Vegas is a City.

It isn't structured like most cities.

Its economy is built more like an amusement park rather than a normal city, with a massive percentage of the city's GDP based on tourism and hospitality. A huge percentage of the population is made up of short term residents, with only Anchorage rivaling Vegas. There's little actual development of arts or culture in the city: Las Vegas just copies stuff from other places around the world. Outside of the strip Las Vegas is just suburbia.

Compare it to New Orleans. NO has plenty of stuff to do if you want to party, but also has its own culture, cuisine, history, pro sports teams, etc.

Vegas isn't for everyone, but it is a great city. If you don't like to gamble or drink, there is shopping, dinning, entertainment, spas, easy access to some great natural environments, the Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon.

The Grand Canyon is a four and a half hour drive from Las Vegas. The surrounding area is just desert.

Las Vegas is a great place to party, but I don't think that makes it a great city.

that was a bit of an overstatement. you know, since those paragraphs are so dense you have to pack them with sexy jokes or no one will read them. i just chat them up a bit at the slots. crack a few jokes, small talk. nothing really untoward. and no, vegas isn't particularly gay friendly (although shockingly they do have baths...) but no, i've never had a problem, or thought of the city as particularly homophobic. although the bars are more than a little sad, you can say that about most places.

and as for vegas the city: i've spent some significant time there. it does have a real community of permanent residents and an economy outside the strip, even if it is a little boring. and it does have culture, if you know where to look. the recently revamped smith center springs to mind. other than that, i'm not going to really argue with you because i find myself more agreeing than disagreeing with what you wrote.