"It is our intention to bid": USOC on 2024 Olympics

GBModerator

I don't know anyone in nyc who wants to deal with the hassle.......JUST to host an olympics

I'm torn. I was thrilled that my city and the area hosted the Super Bowl, but it most definitely affected my daily commute, among other things. But I think you're right that on the whole, most New Yorkers wouldn't want to deal with it. The key is finding a plan that offers the least amount of disruption to the daily lives of New Yorkers. I think we learned the hard way that the 2012 plan as originally intended wasn't it.

If you have most other venues done and all that is needed are the core ones, then you might be able to fund such a venture. The billions that would have been spent on other infrastructure and stadiums could be spent here.

No. If you pitched the idea to anyone in a position of authority in Manhattan, you would get laughed out of the room. To offer up this plan for an Olympic bid is not going to work. Even if you had the best legacy plan in the history of Olympic bidding, the amount of time, money, and other expenditures couldn't possibly justify trying to pull this off. I know you're fixated on this concept and you say it can work, but in reality where there are actual people and money involved, it's never going to happen.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm torn. I was thrilled that my city and the area hosted the Super Bowl, but it most definitely affected my daily commute, among other things. But I think you're right that on the whole, most New Yorkers wouldn't want to deal with it. The key is finding a plan that offers the least amount of disruption to the daily lives of New Yorkers. I think we learned the hard way that the 2012 plan as originally intended wasn't it.

No. If you pitched the idea to anyone in a position of authority in Manhattan, you would get laughed out of the room. To offer up this plan for an Olympic bid is not going to work. Even if you had the best legacy plan in the history of Olympic bidding, the amount of time, money, and other expenditures couldn't possibly justify trying to pull this off. I know you're fixated on this concept and you say it can work, but in reality where there are actual people and money involved, it's never going to happen.

I agree, and also it most likely wouldnt pass even if you had the time and money because it will go threw a protest like west side stadium because all of the residential apartments on the west side

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! New to the forums but not to GamesBids.com's website!

I have to agree with those who think the USOC is more likely to sit a 2024 bid out, and possibly a 2028 bid as well, depending on who the other applicant cities are. I don't believe there are any particularly strong candidate cities that are interested in bidding for a Summer Olympics. There is, though, some very strong interest in a 2026 Winter Games bid from the US, which I think has a stronger chance of winning.

It's hard to handicap the 2022 race though it would seem that Almaty and Oslo are the leading options at this point. I question if Oslo can win because of the lack of public support. But, I have a hard time envisioning an Asian nation being awarded the Olympics for the third time in a row. The IOC likes to move the Games, both Winter and Summer, around too much. I'm not sure how strong either the Krakow or Lviv bids are, and frankly, I think if the USOC had been able to pull together a bid for 2022, it would be looking really strong right now.

As others have noted, Rome, Paris, possibly also Istanbul and South Africa, aren't going to be passed up again. While Russia doesn't plan on bidding for 2024, a St Petersburg or Moscow 2028 bid, especially if South Africa wins in 2024, could also not be discounted too easily.

Which leads to 2026. By that point, it will have been 16 years since any Olympics have been held in North America (it doesn't look like there will be a Canadian bid for 2024), and 10 years since it was anywhere in the western hemisphere. The USOC and a good bid (Reno/Tahoe or SLC) would be in a outstanding position to win. The IOC will want to bring the Olympics back to North America by then, having traveled to Russia, then Asia and likely back to Europe since 2010.

Whenever the USOC does get around to bidding for another Summer Games, I really don't think it will be NYC or Chicago. Perhaps San Francisco (but transportation in the Bay Area is always chaotic, so I can't see any bid gaining traction when people start considering the environmental impact - look how long it took to replace the Bay Bridge) or possibly even Dallas. I just don't see any strong contender for the Summer Games from the US at the moment once you start considering the logistics of hosting an Olympics. Better to focus on something you can win, like the 2026 Winter Games bid, than something you might not win until 2032 or even 2036.

Well that's the problem right there, the USOC would have to go and do a whole domestic bid race for cities who actually want to bid and choose one from a vote there. You can't be like some nations where there's only one viable host and go and submit the bid on the last day or minute, that would have gotten other cities in the US angry for not being consulted or part of a domestic bid race.

Of course a Winter Olympics is far easier for the US to win, especially if it were to knock out any chance for a US Summer Games anytime soon.

Well that's the problem right there, the USOC would have to go and do a whole domestic bid race for cities who actually want to bid and choose one from a vote there. You can't be like some nations where there's only one viable host and go and submit the bid on the last day or minute, that would have gotten other cities in the US angry for not being consulted or part of a domestic bid race.

Of course a Winter Olympics is far easier for the US to win, especially if it were to knock out any chance for a US Summer Games anytime soon.

If you had followed the news, you would know that the USOC does not need to hold a complicated domestic race.

It is precisely because American Winter Games would indefinitely postpone any hope of American Summer Games that makes the prospect so problematic.

If you had followed the news, you would know that the USOC does not need to hold a complicated domestic race.

It is precisely because American Winter Games would indefinitely postpone any hope of American Summer Games that makes the prospect so problematic.

Well, it wouldn't postpone any hope of an American Summer Games indefinitely. It would, however, postpone it until at least 2032 or 2036 at the earliest. But, given that South Africa is planning on bidding for 2024 and Europe wants a Summer Games to return to them, probably no later than 2028, I think that the earliest any North American city will get the Summer Games again is 2032 anyways. And, given how poorly Toronto has always fared when they've put forth a candidacy, I think the right US city would trump Toronto any day (SF, NYC, Chicago, LA, maybe even DC, Boston or Dallas). Now, Vancouver, on the other hand, could make a very credible bid to become the first city to host both a Winter and Summer Games if it were to wind up as a Canadian candidate city instead.

Wait did NYC say yes to bid for the olympics.

I was just throwing out the leading US cities, especially ones that have bid domestically or internationally in the past 10-12 years (which, I suspect, is what some of the articles that have been in the mainstream press, have done). I've never thought NYC would bid again, at least not for a very long time.

Well, it wouldn't postpone any hope of an American Summer Games indefinitely. It would, however, postpone it until at least 2032 or 2036 at the earliest. But, given that South Africa is planning on bidding for 2024 and Europe wants a Summer Games to return to them, probably no later than 2028, I think that the earliest any North American city will get the Summer Games again is 2032 anyways. And, given how poorly Toronto has always fared when they've put forth a candidacy, I think the right US city would trump Toronto any day (SF, NYC, Chicago, LA, maybe even DC, Boston or Dallas). Now, Vancouver, on the other hand, could make a very credible bid to become the first city to host both a Winter and Summer Games if it were to wind up as a Canadian candidate city instead.

You think the IOC is going to award the US the 2032 Summer Games in 2025, on year before the US hosts 2026 and you don't think Toronto would be a factor. You're brimming with optimism.

In my opinion the above scenario is pure foolishness .

You think the IOC is going to award the US the 2032 Summer Games in 2025, on year before the US hosts 2026 and you don't think Toronto would be a factor. You're brimming with optimism.

In my opinion the above scenario is pure foolishness .

Well, that assumes that a bid from Toronto gets off the ground. And, I think the likelihood of that happening is about as strong as NYC making another bid in next decade. But, you are correct to point out the unlikelihood of the US being awarded the 2032 Summer Games sometime in mid-late 2025 right before hosting a 2026 Winter Games.

I suppose it all really depends on which cities start lining up to try for both 2024 and 2028, and which cities are on the winter docket as well. Scary that it's looking like it could very well wind up being a 36 or 40-year gap between North American Summer Games, but that's what might very well happen if the USOC passes on bidding for 2024 or 2028.

Archived