Olympic Surfing to make entrance in 2024?

I have been hearing many rumors that Surfing could be included in future games thanks to modern technology. Personally I love the idea, but I think financially it could be too expensive and the venue used for this sport could become a white elephant.

Links: http://www.surfparkcentral.com/surf-parks-wave-pools-and-the-olympic-future-of-surfing/

Views, opinions, thoughts?

You so say there are many rumours? Where from?

I don't think this is going to happen. The cost for starters would be huge if you were to build an indoor stadium to generate the waves. It can only be used for one sport and would be a white elephant after the games.

I can think of other sports that would be included before surfing ever got near inclusion.

^

Check out the link. Yes I agree with what you say, maybe in the future when it's cheaper; not now. Also after the games it could be turned into a waterpark along with the other aquatic centers (depending on the host.). Then again for coastal cities it could be held in the ocean.

No way. Too difficult venue wise.

At best we'd be seeing competition held far from most host cities, and even outside nations- to get the type of conditions you need for world class competition.

Good for Durban, though! ;)

Built venues would be crazy expensive, and about as useful to most cities as white water venues-- which is why I think rafting should get the axe

No way. Too difficult venue wise.

At best we'd be seeing competition held far from most host cities, and even outside nations- to get the type of conditions you need for world class competition.

Good for Durban, though! ;)

Built venues would be crazy expensive, and about as useful to most cities as white water venues-- which is why I think rafting should get the axe

Nah you can always turn that into a nice little hobo outdoor bath-house. :lol:;) Or make it a river afterwards.

Yes I looked at the link, but I wouldn't call it many rumours.

There were a few more sites just couldn't find them.

I'm not in favor of including surfing, but a surfing venue could conceivably get a lot of use as part of a water park after the games. It's at least more useful than a velodrome or whitewater canoe venue.

Im not so sure about that! How many people actually surf? Also the cost to upkeep would be high. I know there are veledrone where the centre is used for other sports. For instance in Invercargill the centre of their veledrone is used for netball

You guys didn't read the article, did you?

Indoor or not - it will not work. As I mentioned in my above comment, indoor/manufactured water venues are extremely expensive, and often have the weakest 'legacy' factor. Sydney's is one of few that have actually maintained itself - but even then I was told recently it realise heavily on State Govt sport subsidies. London will probably have a similar experience.

Beijing and Athens have abandoned theirs completely.

These white water (and surfing venues) really would be the bobsled tracks of the Summer Olympics.

*relies heavily

Does the canoeing federation actually prefer an artificial river for the whitewater event? Maybe it's because I live in an area with natural whitewater rafting, but it's hard to imagine why anyone would prefer an artificial river even if they cost the same, and they obviously don't.

I think we should let the host city choose one local sport for inclusion. Sydney and LA could have surfing, Chicago could have baseball, Tokyo could have Sumo, London could have cricket, etc. Since a host is only going to choose a sport they already have venues for it wouldn't add too much to the cost and would help give a local flavor to the games.

Does the canoeing federation actually prefer an artificial river for the whitewater event? Maybe it's because I live in an area with natural whitewater rafting, but it's hard to imagine why anyone would prefer an artificial river even if they cost the same, and they obviously don't.

I think we should let the host city choose one local sport for inclusion. Sydney and LA could have surfing, Chicago could have baseball, Tokyo could have Sumo, London could have cricket, etc. Since a host is only going to choose a sport they already have venues for it wouldn't add too much to the cost and would help give a local flavor to the games.

Yeah I like that, but again both Sydney and LA would need to construct venues for surfing unless they aligned their games with the moon.

Indoor or not - it will not work. As I mentioned in my above comment, indoor/manufactured water venues are extremely expensive, and often have the weakest 'legacy' factor. Sydney's is one of few that have actually maintained itself - but even then I was told recently it realise heavily on State Govt sport subsidies. London will probably have a similar experience.

Beijing and Athens have abandoned theirs completely.

These white water (and surfing venues) really would be the bobsled tracks of the Summer Olympics. *relies heavily

Agree about the whitewater venues being white elephants. The good news is that london's I think will be fine, we have a few of these elsewhere in the uk already and they are well used. Nothing until now in the south east, I think so far it's had a lot of use. And unlike china and Greece we have a serious high performance canoeing squad who will also use it alongside the public.

• 2 weeks later...