If GamesBids existed 30 years ago...

A different twist than the other thread: it's January 1984. The last Olympics we had was Moscow 1980. What thread titles would be seeing here on GamesBids? I'll go first:

"Will the Olympics still exist in 10 years?"

Can Brisbane win 1992?

This is actually a fun topic...

In that context:

"Yugoslavs are greedy - they have the Winter Games next month and now also want to bid for Summer 92?"

"JAS wants 92 in his hometown - all fixed!"

"Paris must bid for 92, they are the perfect host"

"Albertville? Never heard of it...ROFL!"

"Berchtesgaden bid is facing difficult local vote before going ahead"

• Like 1

"But the Soviets on these boards seem so friendly..."

"Get real, newbie. The Winter Olympics will NEVER be held in separate years from the Summer Olympics!"

"TORONTO 1992" (inside the thread, someone will guarantee that 1992 is reserved for Paris and 1996 for Athens)

• Like 1

Can Brisbane win 1992?

Oh my god, I'd be trolling those banana benders so badly.

Wouldn't have looked too good for Sydney and Melbourne-- Brisbane was certainly on a roll, 82 CWG, expo 88 and the 92 Olympic bid.

My thread in Jan 1984:

Will Sarajevo try to match the pomp and ceremony of Moscow?

Will Sarajevo & Calgary alienate future small hosts?

"Do you think the LA cauldron will be bigger and better than the one used in 1932?"

"I hope Bruce Jenner lights the flame. His face is the ideal image of the All-American man."

"First Moscow and now Sarajevo? Are all future Olympics going to be in Commie countries?"

"The Winter Olympics are just too small for a city like Calgary."

"Olympics in China? World Cup in South Africa? Never!"

I would be a dreamer talking about remote future chances of Olympic Games in Brazil... And everybody would be sure that the first games in South America would be hosted in Argentina.

"Brazil? No way, shut up, Danny, you are crazy, look at the financial situation of your country... 220%/yr inflation, no democracy and Rio? C'mon, there are only naked people and monkeys in the streets".

Actually, nobody would care about my posts (not much different from now... *rolleyes*)

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1

You're quite wrong about Rio, Danny. I ALWAYS dreamed of Rio as being THE ideal location for South America's first Olympics and I'm sure II'm not the only one!

And what do you mean nobody cares about your posts? You're one of the best posters on here. I may not always reply to them but I sure as hell read and appreciate them. Never stop posting and keeping us up to date with what's going on in Brazil. With Sochi 2014 spoiled for me by Putin's and the Russians's weird homophobic obsessions, I can't wait for the action to move to your sunnier, more tolerant, more open-hearted country! Roll on Rio 2016! :)

Edited by Mainad

You're quite wrong about Rio, Danny. I ALWAYS dreamed of Rio as being THE ideal location for South America's first Olympics and I'm sure II'm not the only one!

And what do you mean nobody cares about your posts? You're one of the best posters on here. I may not always reply to them but I sure as hell read and appreciate them. Never stop posting and keeping us up to date with what's going on in Brazil. With Sochi 2014 spoiled for me by Putin's and the Russians's weird homophobic obsessions, I can't wait for the action to move to your sunnier, more tolerant, more open-hearted country! Roll on Rio 2016! :)

THIS...Rio, if only you could come sooner!

It's funny because 20 years ago or maybe less, Brazil was really an unknown country. Football/soccer apart, almost nobody abroad could even name the capital of the country or say something not related to Amazon, football or naked people/carnaval...

I'm glad you always think like this.

About my posts. I know how boring I am... :rolleyes:

Edited by DannyelBrazil

I would be a dreamer talking about remote future chances of Olympic Games in Brazil... And everybody would be sure that the first games in South America would be hosted in Argentina.

"Brazil? No way, shut up, Danny, you are crazy, look at the financial situation of your country... 220%/yr inflation, no democracy and Rio? C'mon, there are only naked people and monkeys in the streets".

Actually i'm glad the first SOG in South America will be in Brazil, but I understand your point, maybe the headlines will be something like:

1995:

-Buenos Aires will be the first SOG host city in South America. Come on, Buenos Aires is the "Latin American Paris".

-Argentinian economy is growning and Menem is respected

-¿Brazil? ¿Rio? No way. It's like thinking that South Africa will host a World Cup...

Another threads:

1980:

-Of course Japan will win. The IOC won't choose a country with environmental, political and human right issues like South Korea

1986:

-Come on, the swedes have secured the 1992 WOG...

-Why I support Manchester

1991:

-Really? Sydney? There aren't sharks near to the coast, right?

1998:

-Where the **** is Sochi? Isn't an Italian town?

-A Russian WOG? Please, Yeltsin can't even keep the country on float.