GamesBids 100 years ago

Gangwon

The year is 1914. You are you. You live in wherever your ancestors lived. The internet has been invented and GamesBids also exists. What do you put under "location"?

I would be somewhere just north of Seoul, almost hugging the North Korean-South Korean border. Though I suppose I would technically be part of the Empire of Japan, being under Japanese occupation at the time.

Technically, I am allies with RobH, Daveypodmore, Lee and all the other Britons, though they'd probably look down on me. Whatever. I wouldn't fight for Japan anyway.

I guess I'd either be a subject of Der Kaiser, getting excited about Berlin 1916, or. Citizen of Sweden, still on a high from Stockholm 1912. At least as a citizen do Sweden, I wouldn't be practicing how to dig trenches.

And probably a supporter of the Alexandria 1920 bid - about time De Coubertin took the games to Africa!

I guess I'd either be a subject of Der Kaiser, getting excited about Berlin 1916, or. Citizen of Sweden, still on a high from Stockholm 1912. At least as a citizen do Sweden, I wouldn't be practicing how to dig trenches.

And probably a supporter of the Alexandria 1920 bid - about time De Coubertin took the games to Africa!

You should tell Ostersund to bid while they still can!

Either in rural central Germany or in the German-speaking parts of Austro-Hungary's Bohemian province, so obviously looking forward to Berlin 2016 and not having a clue at all yet that in a couple of months, the whole world here would fall apart.

Oops, Berlin 1916 obviously :-)

The year is 1914. You are you. You live in wherever your ancestors lived. The internet has been invented and GamesBids also exists. What do you put under "location"?

I would be somewhere just north of Seoul, almost hugging the North Korean-South Korean border. Though I suppose I would technically be part of the Empire of Japan, being under Japanese occupation at the time.

Technically, I am allies with RobH, Daveypodmore, Lee and all the other Britons, though they'd probably look down on me. Whatever. I wouldn't fight for Japan anyway.

And me, I'm from London, England. I would be your allies.

Close enough to where I am now that it'd make no difference to most reading this. A few miles West perhaps, or maybe more in the East End, depending on whether you go down my Mum's or my Dad's line.

Of course, if I was the age I am now 100 years ago I'd be a few months away from fighting in WWI.

One great grandad on my Dad's side, who I remember and was alive until I was about seven, was too young to fight in WWI.

My great, great grandad, on my Mum's side (pictured below), however, would've been 40 in 1914. He was killed in action two years later whilst in the East Surrey Regiment, probably in the Somme...

lwwq.jpg

Interesting responses, much more European focused. Poor Canada and Australia, we'd have no supporters here on GB.

And interesting lack of responses by the Americans as compared to the Canadians and Australians. Maybe they were already in America by then.

My family roots 100 years ago (in terms of great grandparent locations)

Dad's side:

-Noumea, New Caledonia (a Franco-Scot marriage, one from Metz and the other from Edinburgh)

-Adelaide, Australia

-Gippsland/Phillip Island, Australia (my ancestors were Phillip Island pioneers)

There was also a Dutchman via South Africa in there- but I think it was prior to 1916.

Mums side:

-Christchurch, NZ

-London (Hamstead, back then an 'outer' suburb of London)

-Or Buckinghamshire, if not off getting slaughtered in the Great War fighting the Krauts.

(Or about to be, 1914)

I'd be in Germany with you, just Munich...guess I'd run into young Adolf Hitler :wacko:

I don't know much about family history in terms of occupations or detail like that, but I've been told where my immediate ancestors were from, so taken from what I do know:

Father's side: Probably around Portsmouth area

Mother's side: Probably around southeast London, Erith, Dartford area.

I would be...

...living somewhere in the north part of Rio de Janeiro, capital of - at that time named - "United States of Brazil"...

I would be amazed that computers existed and I would be asking myself why everything else around looked outdated compared to them... :rolleyes:

Archived