2012 Official Report

Well that is a half arsed effort. Volume 1 is like 80 pages, volume 3 is 130 or so and the official commemorative book is volume 2? Fucck me. Look at the Nagano, Lillehammer, Barcelona (even Athens) reports and then looked at the half arsed jobs Torino, Vanc and London have put out. Where are the gorgeous large format chapters on the look? Ticketing stats? A proper run down on the organising committees activities? Pathetic.

I tend to agree; the report (which was originaly published early in 2013, but so quietly that hardly anybody outside the IOC noticed) does feel rather "lite". I note that Puppy doesn't mention the last two volumes of the set; Appendices and Results- the latter is colossal, but for me the former are, though more technical than the main Report volumes, still lacking depth.

For details on the precise situation re availability, printed editions etc, see:

http://olympic-museum.de/o-reports/report2012.htm

As for the reasons behind the overal lack of depth, I wonder if the clue is in the IOC Coordination Commission's report on the games. That gives details of the week-long debriefing, and the wider Transfer of Knowledge process. It looks as if much information which would formerly have been made public via the Official Report is now kept within the Olympic movement, via internal documents and liaison.

I tend to agree; the report (which was originaly published early in 2013, but so quietly that hardly anybody outside the IOC noticed) does feel rather "lite". I note that Puppy doesn't mention the last two volumes of the set; Appendices and Results- the latter is colossal, but for me the former are, though more technical than the main Report volumes, still lacking depth.

For details on the precise situation re availability, printed editions etc, see:

http://olympic-museum.de/o-reports/report2012.htm

As for the reasons behind the overal lack of depth, I wonder if the clue is in the IOC Coordination Commission's report on the games. That gives details of the week-long debriefing, and the wider Transfer of Knowledge process. It looks as if much information which would formerly have been made public via the Official Report is now kept within the Olympic movement, via internal documents and liaison.

It is very light compared to other Olympic Reports. Beijing 2008 is much more in-depth! Very disappointed actaully. The Results are a big document, but I think by memory the 2008 report included the results in a CD. So there is no need to print them.

But there generally are a wider Transfer of Knowledge process that occurs between host cities. That is fine. But the official report is the lasting memory of those games, something that those interested in will refer back to on a regular basis.

It is very light compared to other Olympic Reports. Beijing 2008 is much more in-depth! Very disappointed actaully. The Results are a big document, but I think by memory the 2008 report included the results in a CD. So there is no need to print them.

Yes, the 2008 Report was overflowing with CDs and DVDs- basically the reporting equivalent of the Beijing OC! London just has the one disc, and its entire Report, including results, is a few hundred megabytes.

But there generally are a wider Transfer of Knowledge process that occurs between host cities. That is fine. But the official report is the lasting memory of those games, something that those interested in will refer back to on a regular basis.

What I meant was that maybe London relied more on the TOK process, rather than writing public reports that only GB and SSC fanatics are going to read. Mind you, it occurs to me that in the long run, 2012 may turn out to be one of the best-reported Olympics, as vast quantities of material have been deposited with the National Archives.

Yes I could save trees but then again I could just pay money to buy it! I have hard copies of all the reports since 1984, hence why I wish to purchase.

If that Olympic Museum page is to be believed (and I suspect it is) then you're probably out of luck- the Commemorative Volume is the only part which was published on paper. In theory, you could print out the files- pdf is a print-generation format, not an e-reader format.

I think the commemorative book is still floating around some UK bookshops now, try searching on Wh Smith or Waterstone's, they might have one you can order online.

I should add that I don't know if they'd send abroad, particularly as far as NZ, but give it a go :)

Archived