Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Oslo 2022 Olympic Bid Shouldn't Be Approved - New Poll

Well Bird's Nest is more up to date than the Medeo. Also, Beijing have the Water Cube, that can temporarily be turned into ab ice hockey venue. Velodrome, temporarily speed skating venue. I could list more.

The bird's nest? That would simply serve as the ceremonies venue. Medeo in Almaty is at least being upgraded again in preparation for the 2017 Universiade (where it will host speed skating, bandy and ceremonies).

Many of the venues you have mentioned would require major alterations to make them suitable for ice events. We'll just have to wait and see in the bid books as to what Beijing has to offer.

Ok. You made your point. Calm down.

No way, bucko. You don't get off that easy.

You make us read all your garbage and talk down to us like we're idiots when really you know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

You claim you're "a man." Well, I've got news for you: a man acknowledges his mistakes, takes his lumps, learns and moves on.

You've got no right to ask anyone to "calm down." Not when you champion these bizarre views that have nothing other than your personal fantasies for support.

Apologize for making such stupid arguments and for REPEATEDLY refusing to do even the most basic research.

• Like 3

So you expect Almaty to easily blow to 50 billion + like Sochi has? I don't think they'll reach such a figure, especially with most infrastructure already there. Beijing on the other hand could easily reach the 20 billion it spent on the 2008 Olympics and more considering all the infrastructure it needs to build, as well as modifications to existing indoor venues

I didn't say that they'll necessarily spend that much. But they'll wanna indulge regardless, which is why the want to host the Olympics in the first place, so they can "show off" to the world.

As for Baku, it was alright on paper, but everyone knew it would not make it as a candidate despite having a much more solid plan than 2016.

Ummmm, not quite. Almost everyone knew, except for you. Since you were cheerleading for Baku-koo back then like you're doing with Almaty now.

The IOC knows what to expect with the Chinese sure, but do they really want to go through that all over again? Kazakhstan may have some unknowns, but the IOC should be happy to go with them given that they can deliver and have proved it and will prove it again.

If they have no other credible option, then yeah, they would. Which is the whole crux of the matter, for the umpteenth time. I'm not saying that the Chinese would be their preferred choice (IDK where you get that in the first), only their "last resort", which is what I've said all along. As long as Oslo & Krakow are in the picture, the Chinese will be second fiddle. Or in this case, third fiddle.

The Kazahks "can deliver" & "have proved it"? Far from it. I would hardly call a much smaller Winter Asian Games, that they co-hosted anyway) as 'proving' anything. Or another event that they still wouldn't have hosted by the time the 2022 vote comes around. The Chinese are the ones that have proven themselves, by hosting the Granddaddy of them all, the huge Summer Olympic Games! So they can handle a Winter Games that's merely a third of the size.

No way, bucko. You don't get off that easy.

You make us read all your garbage and talk down to us like we're idiots when really you know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

You claim you're "a man." Well, I've got news for you: a man acknowledges his mistakes, takes his lumps, learns and moves on.

You've got no right to ask anyone to "calm down." Not when you champion these bizarre views that have nothing other than your personal fantasies for support.

Apologize for making such stupid arguments and for REPEATEDLY refusing to do even the most basic research.

Sorry.

What's the nature of the source? Already against the Olympics from the start like the magazine that conducted the previous poll?

it is the government-owned television, they should at least pretend to be neutral.

Is there any recent poll commissioned by the Bidding Committee?

They're prob reliable. Numbers are real for the population as a whole.

Olympics get a lot of bad press due to the Sochi/Putin/gay/IOC/crazyprizetag thing.

Some regions are bound to be opposed at this stage.

There's a question of democracy here, that is interesting and should be taken seriously, but fact of the matter is that it's a representative democracy, so the politicians will decide, although IOC ( politician - for simplicity I refer to the institution IOC, though I agree with your point well made about its fragmented and individual-oriented nature) and (everyone else involved) would prefer to see as high popular support numbers as possible.

I don't think it's realistic with high popular support across the nation at this point in time. Much like London 2012 and what you'd see in other european countries.

There's always negative press before the Olympics. Then people see all the fun of the games, and the coverage changes.

Be interesting to see how different poll results are after the games, especially if the Norwegians do well.

Another poll from last evening.

Tough done by order from the Tromsø newspaper Nordlys, it's no reason to believe that has influenced the numbers.

National
Men
Yes: 35,5 %
No: 57,8 %
Don't know: 6,8 %

Women
Yes: 33,6 %
No: 54,1 %
Don't know: 12,4 %

Total
Yes: 34,6 %
No: 55,9 %
Don't know: 9,6 %

Northern Norway
Yes: 12,9 %
No: 81,7 %
Don't know: 6,4 %

Central Norway
Yes: 24,5 %
No: 65 %
Don't know: 10,5 %

Western Norway
Yes: 29,6 %
No: 63,6 %
Don't know: 6,8 %

Southern Norway
Yes: 36,6 %
No: 53 %
Don't know: 10,4 %

Eastern Norway except Oslo
Yes: 42 %
No: 46 %
Don't know: 12 %

Oslo
Yes: 44,8 %
No: 44,8 %
Don't know: 10,4 %

Clearly shows that the support hasn't changed during the Olympics so far. Which may be linked to the criticism from IOC regarding the mourning bands, and then criticism from Gerhard Heiberg about Norwegians being seen as arrogant.