Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Oslo 2022 Olympic Bid Shouldn't Be Approved - New Poll

Beijing's Bid is much stronger than Almaty's.

Ah yes. Because you know so much about Beijings bid? I mean they haven't even bid before unlike Almaty which scored highly for the 2014 olympics. Yes they didn't make the shortlist, they had better options. However, a multi-national bid, a city in a country that is currently riddled with deadly riots, a city that's bidding future is currently unknown.

Please tell me what is so great about a city that just hosted the summer Olympics? Yes the IOC couldn't deny China the 2008 games. But now that they have had the games and want the winter olympics in the same city 14 years later, the issues they had before will be brought up again and may work against them. Poor human rights, air pollution.

You two Almaty lovers are so hysterical! What's so f'n "special" about Almaty?! "Compact" bid? So what (like if that's always a winning attribute anyway)! "Big mountains"? So what! "One village"? So what! Hosted Winter Asian Games? So what! Gonna host some winter universade? So f'n what! What a narrative, woohoo!! :-P

There's no compelling reason to award Almaty the Games. It would just be another Sochi 2.0 - the IOC won't want that type of headache again, "anti-gay laws", corruption, threat of terrorism, migrant workers, etc. At least the Chinese would deliver with much less fuss. And Oslo ain't out yet. Until they declare so, they're still in this race. Even Krakow has better odds, considering everything.

Tell me what's so f'n special about Beijing then? What puts them above Almaty? I feel like i've said this numerous times but seriously? Hosting both summer and winter 14 years apart? Not to mention the joint bid. Cities that are 200km apart. And it's not just one event in a seperate city, Zhanduieoeporfzoju has snow events while Beijing has ice events..

Oh wait and then we can all have fun in the air polluted city, they should reuse the old venues from 2008 olympics? It's not like they are doing anything anyway! They clearly had a great legacy! http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/world/beijings-deserted-olympic-sites-20120411-1wrzv.html

FUN! What winter events has Beijing even hosted anyway? I already said Harbin bid i'd throw my support behind but the same city 14 years apart. NO.

I don't think they'll win. I support Oslo first of course.

• Like 1

I never said Beijing was f'n special! I've also said it NUMEROUS times, though, why they have the edge over stupid Almaty! But it's like taking to little kids with you two (especially you).

The Olympic Charter states that a bi-national bid is not entirely out of the question under extenuating circumstances. Well the 2022 is turning out to be just that. I'm not saying that Krwkow is a shoo-in, but it certainly can't be discounted bcuz you don't seem to think it could work, even though the distance between them is actually a bit shorter than Oslo's proposal.

But anyway, I'm done with this merry-go-round. Come July, you'll be in dismay again like you were with Doha. But If two think that a Sochi part II is a good idea for the Olympics, be my guest then. Go make Almaty love on top of one of those big mountains over there & let's see how far you guys get with that. :-P

Well it depends if two bids falling out counts as extenuating circumstances. Funny that. I think Almaty can't be discounted just because you don't seem to think it would work.

Sounds the exact same with you. Sochi is awful and Almaty will be the exact same if not worse. A city that just hosted the summer games and won't host half of the events and is riddled with air pollution will be better than Almaty.

Thank god I don't have to keep arguing. Repeating the same points to you with you not replying to them is extremely tedious.

You two Almaty lovers are so hysterical! What's so f'n "special" about Almaty?! "Compact" bid? So what (like if that's always a winning attribute anyway)! "Big mountains"? So what! "One village"? So what! Hosted Winter Asian Games? So what! Gonna host some winter universade? So f'n what! What a narrative, woohoo!! :-P

There's no compelling reason to award Almaty the Games. It would just be another Sochi 2.0 - the IOC won't want that type of headache again, "anti-gay laws", corruption, threat of terrorism, migrant workers, etc. At least the Chinese would deliver with much less fuss. And Oslo ain't out yet. Until they declare so, they're still in this race. Even Krakow has better odds, considering everything.

I suppose the IOC wants a headache with another Beijing too. Almaty can be just as strong as Beijing if not stronger, especially given so many unknowns with regards to Beijing's bid. We'll have to of course wait till the bid books to see what either proposes, but on paper, Almaty is much stronger.

So what if it's Sochi 2.0. It's Sochi 2.0 for less than half the price, Beijing could be just as costly as a Sochi Olympics, which I've stated elsewhere could put off potential future bidders from wanting to bid.

Expect Almaty to pose a good bid and come close in the race, but not win. Perhaps even edging or beating Beijing in the voting round.

Beijing's Venues are more up to date than Almaty's.

What the ef are you talking about? Could you list the Beijing venues (not sure how you'll do that) and compare their up-to-dateness with Almaty's?

What the ef are you talking about? Could you list the Beijing venues (not sure how you'll do that) and compare their up-to-dateness with Almaty's?

Well Bird's Nest is more up to date than the Medeo. Also, Beijing have the Water Cube, that can temporarily be turned into ab ice hockey venue. Velodrome, temporarily speed skating venue. I could list more.

Also, be careful where the population argument leads to because then someone is going to offer up the GDP argument. As it turns out, the GDP of Norway and Poland are pretty darn close to each other. So if you're talking about buying Olympic-related goods and merchandise, Norway has as much to spend as Poland does, but their per capita GDP is obviously a lot higher (among the highest in the world, in fact). So I don't know how much the population argument helps Poland in this case.

But don't forget that 20 years ago Norway's GDP was twice bigger than Polish one. Now (2014 ) it's the same, so if you take into account trends it turns out that in 2022 Polish GDP will be much higher.

Poland is among the world's fastest growing exporters and will benefit from EU funds in next years. Definitely Poland has a propitious future.

Also, Beijing have the Water Cube, that can temporarily be turned into ab ice hockey venue. Velodrome, temporarily speed skating venue. I could list more.

There are tons of things Beijing *could* do. But at the moment, they don't have any venues. They don't have a bid. So you *can't* say their non-existent venues are more up-to-date since they, you know, don't exist yet.

And while there are tons of things Beiing could do, I'm pretty sure turning a velodrome into a long-track speed skating venue isn't one of them.

Well Bird's Nest is more up to date than the Medeo. Also, Beijing have the Water Cube, that can temporarily be turned into ab ice hockey venue. Velodrome, temporarily speed skating venue. I could list more.

For somebody who loves venues, you don't seem to know much about them. The Water Cube is now a recreational water park and can't just magically become a hockey stadium. And a velodrome into a speed skating venue? Even if that we're possible, don't you think the Chinese want a world-class velodrome?

For somebody who loves venues, you don't seem to know much about them. The Water Cube is now a recreational water park and can't just magically become a hockey stadium. And a velodrome into a speed skating venue? Even if that we're possible, don't you think the Chinese want a world-class velodrome?

I do know about the Venues. You didn't seem to see the critical word. TEMPORARILY into a speed skating venue. TEMPORARILY into an Ice Hockey Venue.

Thank god I don't have to keep arguing. Repeating the same points to you with you not replying to them is extremely tedious.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean about tediously repeating things over & over again, bcuz you tediously keep asking me the same dumb thing over & over again. :-P

You're entititled to your own opinion, but it certainly isn't a very pragmatic one, which is certainly why I don't agree with it.

I suppose the IOC wants a headache with another Beijing too. Almaty can be just as strong as Beijing if not stronger, especially given so many unknowns with regards to Beijing's bid. We'll have to of course wait till the bid books to see what either proposes, but on paper, Almaty is much stronger.

So what if it's Sochi 2.0. It's Sochi 2.0 for less than half the price, Beijing could be just as costly as a Sochi Olympics, which I've stated elsewhere could put off potential future bidders from wanting to bid.

You don't know that. And exactly, "on paper" Almaty might look good (just like Baku did), but in reality it could be a whole other story.

As far as I'm concerned, there's more "unknowns" with Almaty than with Beijing. I'm sure they IOC wouldn't be "so what" at the prospect of Sochi part II. Sochi wasn't suppose to blow up to $50-plus either, so ya never know. The IOC already knows what they could expect with the Chinese. Not so much with the unknown Kazahks. All you care about is just another bid book to stroke yourself with (just like with Baku-ku).

I do know about the Venues. You didn't seem to see the critical word. TEMPORARILY into a speed skating venue. TEMPORARILY into an Ice Hockey Venue.

You don't seem to have any understanding of how difficult/expensive/impractical it is to TEMPORARILY turn a water recreation park into a world class hockey rink or a velodrome into a world class speed skating oval.

For crying out loud, you thought the Rose Bowl was down on its heels and it just finished major renovations and hosted the BCS national championship.

You talk a lot but don't seem to bother with facts much.

The do tell us how you turn a velodrome TEMPORARILY into a speed skating venue. 'Cause I'm having a hard time figuring out how you do that.

The do tell us how you turn a velodrome TEMPORARILY into a speed skating venue. 'Cause I'm having a hard time figuring out how you do that.

Anything is possible with modern techniques. The Velodrome flooring can temporarily be covered. The Speed Skating Flooring can temporarily be put on top of the Velodrome track.

Anything is possible with modern techniques. The Velodrome flooring can temporarily be covered. The Speed Skating Flooring can temporarily be put on top of the Velodrome track.

Psst - how big is a velodrome track? Not to mention the whole banking thing

Beijing National Aquatics Center as it stands today..

waterpark.jpg

So tell us about these modern techniques that will turn this into a hockey venue. Or should the Chinese just throw a ton of money out there to renovate the building and then turn it back into a waterpark?

As for the velodrome..

Velodrome%20racing.jpg

Velodrome track length - 250 meters.. Speed Skating track length - 400 meters (measured from the center of the oval, but still). Again, tell us how modern techniques are going to solve that problem?

But don't forget that 20 years ago Norway's GDP was twice bigger than Polish one. Now (2014 ) it's the same, so if you take into account trends it turns out that in 2022 Polish GDP will be much higher.

Poland is among the world's fastest growing exporters and will benefit from EU funds in next years. Definitely Poland has a propitious future.

Did not know that. Thank you Aquilani, that's one of the best contributions that has been made to this thread, yet. I mean that sincerely, it's good to have a piece of actual useful information offered up here.

You don't know that. And exactly, "on paper" Almaty might look good (just like Baku did), but in reality it could be a whole other story.

As far as I'm concerned, there's more "unknowns" with Almaty than with Beijing. I'm sure they IOC wouldn't be "so what" at the prospect of Sochi part II. Sochi wasn't suppose to blow up to $50-plus either, so ya never know. The IOC already knows what they could expect with the Chinese. Not so much with the unknown Kazahks. All you care about is just another bid book to stroke yourself with (just like with Baku-ku).

So you expect Almaty to easily blow to 50 billion + like Sochi has? I don't think they'll reach such a figure, especially with most infrastructure already there. Beijing on the other hand could easily reach the 20 billion it spent on the 2008 Olympics and more considering all the infrastructure it needs to build, as well as modifications to existing indoor venues.

As for Baku, it was alright on paper, but everyone knew it would not make it as a candidate despite having a much more solid plan than 2016. 2024, would be a better shot, where they would boast the 2015 European Games as experience and have many more venues completed, like their Olympic Stadium.

The IOC knows what to expect with the Chinese sure, but do they really want to go through that all over again? Kazakhstan may have some unknowns, but the IOC should be happy to go with them given that they can deliver and have proved it and will prove it again.