Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Oslo 2022 Olympic Bid Shouldn't Be Approved - New Poll

Ooh boy. All this negative press for Sochi won't help if they're deciding by the end of January. It would be a shame if Oslo withdrew, but still, the people have to want it for it to happen.

I'm singing in the rain, just singing in the rain...

Got a glorious feeling...shall I say it now...or later???

Hold your horses....it's not decided...

^yeah, really. You never know, but Krakow could wind up withdrawing, too. Then it'll have Beijing 2022 written all over it! Lmfao! :-D :-P

Then a certain someone will be 'singin' in the smog' lol

Y should it? Oslo is/was never going to win (again), anyway.

When I look at the candidates bidding, Oslo is the safe option from a winter sporting power. What makes you think they were never going to win anyway?

When I look at the candidates bidding, Oslo is the safe option from a winter sporting power. What makes you think they were never going to win anyway?

Been there; done that. I think Krakow can stage an equally set of great Games; and at the same time, it brings in (2) new countries and a new region into the Host ranks.

• Like 1

I know its a shoulda, woulda, coulda but the USA should have bid. It would have been close to a guaranteed win.

Right, bcuz the IOC voted for "been there, done that" Japan for 2020. Such insight.

That's what I was thinking. It was also the safest option out of the bunch and the IOC might want stability once again here.

• Like 1

I know its a shoulda, woulda, coulda but the USA should have bid. It would have been close to a guaranteed win.

Of course I have a local bias, but I still think Munich had it in the bag basically, until the referendum came along. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, indeed.

At this rate we'll end up with Lviv, capital of newly independent Western Ukraine, by the time the IOC votes...

Right, bcuz the IOC voted for "been there, done that" Japan for 2020. Such insight.

yeah, Japan is the 3rd biggest economy in the world; what 140 million people? Tokyo is a great metropolis; home to 20 million+ plus.

What is Norway? Still at 5 million; or so. And even the WOGs have probably doubled in size since "cute" 1994. Krakow offers (two) domestic markets of some 48 million. Do the math.

Not to mention; they want to swing hosting honors around. Duh!! :rolleyes:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I'm singing in the rain, just singing in the rain...

Got a glorious feeling...shall I say it now...or later???

I don't see this as cause for rejoicing. We've known all along that Stockholm and Oslo were both uncertain due to the unanswered question of governmental support.

If Oslo drops out, that's a serious blow and a huge wake-up call for the IOC. Although it would be painful, perhaps that's exactly what needs to happen if spending is ever going to be reined in. The Olympics are too big.

Of course I have a local bias, but I still think Munich had it in the bag basically, until the referendum came along. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, indeed.

I think the majority of posters on this forum (myself included) would agree with you.

I don't see this as cause for rejoicing.

I'm only rejoicing in how I'm close to calling how the derby shakes out; not any schadenfraude for any particular candidate's withdrawal.

But also...ya know...one man's trash is another man's treasure; one or two cities' departure is another city's opportunity. Make hay (or snow) when the sun shines...

Edited by baron-pierreIV

What is Norway? Still at 5 million; or so. And even the WOGs have probably doubled in size since "cute" 1994. Krakow offers (two) domestic markets of some 48 million. Do the math.

Not to mention; they want to swing hosting honors around. Duh!! :rolleyes:

We've been through this before already, but okay, I'll play along again, but while Norway's population is smaller, their per capita spending power is over three times higher than Poland's/Slovakia's 44 million. So sounds like you need to do the math. :-P

And 1994 was in much smaller Lillehammer. This time Oslo is the one bidding, (with a lot of the facilities already in place). Which metro wise, is just as large as Krakow.

We've been through this before already, but okay, I'll play along again, but while Norway's population is smaller, their per capita spending power is over three times higher than Poland's/Slovakia's 44 million. So sounds like you need to do the math. :-P

And 1994 was in much smaller Lillehammer. This time Oslo is the one bidding, (with a lot of the facilities already in place). Which metro wise, is just as large as Krakow.

I posted this about a month ago, and as much as I hate to bring up an old argument..

Also, be careful where the population argument leads to because then someone is going to offer up the GDP argument. As it turns out, the GDP of Norway and Poland are pretty darn close to each other. So if you're talking about buying Olympic-related goods and merchandise, Norway has as much to spend as Poland does, but their per capita GDP is obviously a lot higher (among the highest in the world, in fact). So I don't know how much the population argument helps Poland in this case.

I posted this about a month ago, and as much as I hate to bring up an old argument..

You SO don't hate to bring it up. You love it. You couldn't restrain yourself even though the point had already been made.

Incidentally, it is a valid point.

You SO don't hate to bring it up. You love it. You couldn't restrain yourself even though the point had already been made.

Incidentally, it is a valid point.

Yea, funny how that works when someone makes a point, several people mention that he's off-base, yet that person continues to make that point as if repetition will make others come around to his viewpoint.

I don't think he enjoys to bring it up again anymore than Baron does. He's the one that keeps making the same old arguments for Krakow, even though many of us have already, validly countered his points. So why don't you blame him instead.

• Like 1

I don't think he enjoys to bring it up again anymore than Baron does. He's the one that keeps making the same old arguments for Krakow, even though many of us have already, validly countered his points. So why don't you blame him instead.

So u've countered them; so what? They still gave a SOGs to Athens -- regardless of the reasons; they still gave another WOGs to Korea...which shouldn't really be a new frontier since they've already hosted a SOGs in 1988. So, if the IOC just keeps going back to its same old customers, then INDEED you won't have new, WORTHY candidates wanting to line up. At a certain point, the Madrids, Istanbuls, Dohas -- and the current Krakow bid as at least more feasible than those, will stop bidding; followed by worthy newcomers like Krakow...and who will the dear old IOC be left with? Why, with FYI, of course!! ;)

Edited by baron-pierreIV