Durban 2024/28?

baron-pierreIV

Looking at the weather statistics from the past few years at wunderground.com I would say Johannesburg could host the Games if they'd be able to push them to begin at the last week of August and end during the first week of September. Yes, the nights could be chilly but most outdoor events are held during daytime anyway, when, considering the constant high pressure and lack of rain in the Highveld, the powerful African sun would have a considerable warming effect by late winter-early spring. Cape Town with its Mediterranean winter rain season is climatically the least suitable to be a host of the three major SA cities IMO.

Although I don't think that Jo'burg is the best or most probable choice for South Africa due to reasons stated earlier.

Didn't realize the sun was more powerful in Africa than elsewhere :D

It's not that much warmer in early September than it is in August, so that's not going to be a big help. As baron noted, a lot of outdoor events are held at night, so if it's going to be chilly, that's going to be less than ideal. And if it's colder than the average during that period, then it's really going to be less than ideal.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't realize the sun was more powerful in Africa than elsewhere :D

It's not that much warmer in early September than it is in August, so that's not going to be a big help. As baron noted, a lot of outdoor events are held at night, so if it's going to be chilly, that's going to be less than ideal. And if it's colder than the average during that period, then it's really going to be less than ideal.

Powerful African sun, Mediterranean sun... I'll tell you a secret: the sun becomes more powerful the closer you get to the equator, and Johannesburg at the 26th latitude is quite well located in that regard. And yes, I know athletics finals are mostly held at night but at least also London (and maybe Sydney?) had many cool nights where thick overcoats could have been useful and that didn't bother anyone. Also I didn't say Johannesburg in late winter and early spring would be the most ideal as Durban fits that timeframe better, but it could be doable.

More importantly, Durban now has TWO revolving restaurants -- the surest indicator that it will be an Olympic city one day vs. only one each for Cape Town and Bloemfontaine -- and NONE for Jo'burg!!

:P

filename-img-4089-jpg.jpg

And for 1 OAK (below)...

20140202_003844%25280%2529.jpg

I didn't even know 1 Oak existed. Looks a nice cocktail bar

Powerful African sun, Mediterranean sun... I'll tell you a secret: the sun becomes more powerful the closer you get to the equator, and Johannesburg at the 26th latitude is quite well located in that regard. And yes, I know athletics finals are mostly held at night but at least also London (and maybe Sydney?) had many cool nights where thick overcoats could have been useful and that didn't bother anyone. Also I didn't say Johannesburg in late winter and early spring would be the most ideal as Durban fits that timeframe better, but it could be doable.

Yes, I've been to Florida, so I know about that powerful Florida sun. Here's another secret for you.. the effects of the sun are stronger at higher altitude. So maybe it'll feel warmer during the day, but it also means you're looking are those cooler. And that you mentioned London, I know it wasn't lost on some of the athletes (I remember a few of the beach volleyball players in particular) that they were playing in less than ideal conditions. That said, it's London, not Johannesburg.

If we're talking about Johannesburg in the context of "could be doable," perhaps it's wise if they don't. No, Johannesburg's weather does not disqualify them, but it's a big fat negative against them. Does their positives help them overcome that, let alone make them a better choice than Durban for an Olympic bid? My guess is probably not.

Yes, I've been to Florida, so I know about that powerful Florida sun. Here's another secret for you.. the effects of the sun are stronger at higher altitude. So maybe it'll feel warmer during the day, but it also means you're looking are those cooler.

No, Johannesburg's weather does not disqualify them, but it's a big fat negative against them. Does their positives help them overcome that, let alone make them a better choice than Durban for an Olympic bid? My guess is probably not.

And that's the key element for Jo-burg geographic issues. Also, the effects in personal health like oxygen and metabolism above 1,600 meters of the sea levels.

Another interesting story - 1986 Mexico (World Cup)

People declared the hardest play was between Soviet Union-Belgium. The heat was severe (After all, it's a dry plateau) and the altitude was a big problem concerning to the players and the visitors. The players ended sofocated by the geographical conditions.

Oh as an aside the bloemfontein one has been under planned maintenance upgrade for5 years, and nothing has happened.it has been closed all this time. The Cape Town one closed a few years ago

This is how Wiki shows the list. (You can do the edit, dysan.)

South Africa[edit]

Eureka!! So those updates would therefore solidify Durban's spot as a pre-ordained Olympic city per Baron's RRofWOI (Revolving Restaurants of the World Olympic Index) and make my Index even more scientific and 98% prophetic than GB's BidIndex!!!

Yes, I've been to Florida, so I know about that powerful Florida sun. Here's another secret for you.. the effects of the sun are stronger at higher altitude. So maybe it'll feel warmer during the day, but it also means you're looking are those cooler. And that you mentioned London, I know it wasn't lost on some of the athletes (I remember a few of the beach volleyball players in particular) that they were playing in less than ideal conditions. That said, it's London, not Johannesburg.

If we're talking about Johannesburg in the context of "could be doable," perhaps it's wise if they don't. No, Johannesburg's weather does not disqualify them, but it's a big fat negative against them. Does their positives help them overcome that, let alone make them a better choice than Durban for an Olympic bid? My guess is probably not.

I guess we agree that Durban has many attributes over Johannesburg and Cape Town like weather, coastal location and an existing stadium fit for the Games. I never claimed that Johannesburg would be a better choice, just argued that the climate doesn't have to be such a major obstacle that some made it to be. The altitude is probably much more limiting to their chances and there might be also other issues more important than the weather. I didn't understand the highlighted phrase though.

According to that internet thing.. Average hi/low

London, England:

1st week August: 22-13

last week August: 20-12

Johannesburg, RSA

1st week August: 18-7

last week August: 20-9

Plus, lots of rain in London. Almost none in Johannesburg.

Gee, that's great research, zeke. Maybe next you can use that Internet thing to look up when the London Olympics actually took place (hint: it wasn't the last week of August)

Gee, that's great research, zeke. Maybe next you can use that Internet thing to look up when the London Olympics actually took place (hint: it wasn't the last week of August)

Good point. I should have posted the temperatures for the first week of August too.

According to that internet thing.. Average hi/low

London, England:

1st week August: 22-13

last week August: 20-12

Johannesburg, RSA

1st week August: 18-7

last week August: 20-9

Plus, lots of rain in London. Almost none in Johannesburg.

Again with this?! You look really desperate now.

For a TENTH TIME - It's not only the weather which makes a full obstacle for Jo-burg. You seem to love researching random data on Internet, well, search closely:

-The medical effects for athletes in a city above sea level, heck even for average people.

-A topographic study of the South African plateau

-The political database of South Africa, including the biographies of recognizable leaders

-A comparative study for every day related to weather on the last five years

I guess we agree that Durban has many attributes over Johannesburg and Cape Town like weather, coastal location and an existing stadium fit for the Games. I never claimed that Johannesburg would be a better choice, just argued that the climate doesn't have to be such a major obstacle that some made it to be. The altitude is probably much more limiting to their chances and there might be also other issues more important than the weather. I didn't understand the highlighted phrase though.

Neither did I. I think what I meant to say was that because of the altitude, that powerful sun you speak of might warm up the city during the day, but it also means it could get really chilly at night.

When you say that the climate doesn't have to be such a major obstacle, that's a matter of perspective. Remember who the voters of the IOC are. Something that might seem insignificant to us (hey, if it's cold, bring a jacket.. no big deal) is something that might sway them. And I do agree with you it's the altitude that's as much a factor as the weather, but it all somewhat ties together.

• 1 month later...

Why not Cape Town?

Old threads:

-Weather in Cape Town wasn't ideal for a SOG like Durban in Winter/Spring

-Lack of proper infrastructure. Durban was adapted in a big city since 2006 and after getting the Commonwealth Games the infrastructure will be there.

-Historical values. Cape Town is the crane of the Afrikaaner nation while Durban is the heart of the NAC.

Old threads:

-Weather in Cape Town wasn't ideal for a SOG like Durban in Winter/Spring

-Lack of proper infrastructure. Durban was adapted in a big city since 2006 and after getting the Commonwealth Games the infrastructure will be there.

-Historical values. Cape Town is the crane of the Afrikaaner nation while Durban is the heart of the NAC.

That was who RSA choose last time they bid. It might be their choice again.

Ok. Thanks. Durban is a very good place too.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived