Sign in to follow this  
paul

Sochi / Look of Games

is this the first time pictograms are on bibs?

im falling in LOVE with this look in all competitions so far.

is this the first time pictograms are on bibs?

im falling in LOVE with this look in all competitions so far.

No they've been on the bibs for many games now. At least since salt lake can't remember before that but guessing its been a while.

Yes, I think the Look is far more important than the logo in retrospect even if the logo gets the attention pre-Games. Thing is with Sochi though, as I've already said, they designed such a brilliant wordmark that it annoys me that they're not using it, instead using SOCHI 2014 in uppercase.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the SOCHI in uppercase as well, and think it's weird they abandoned the logo word mark. On the other hand, I like it that they're using the Cyrillic version widely (alternating evenly with the Romanski I think). I remember being a bit disappointed that Athens seemed to only fleeting use Greek lettering in its look branding, and never saw Beijing in Chinese characters in the 2008 look at all (well, I know the logo was sorta meant to be it in stylised form, but still). I just like to see a bit more of local flavouring in a games through such things.

I love the fact that the luge has uphill sections, but the look is rather rough compared to the Whistler slides for Vancouver. Lots of unfinished wood, and random debris in the sight lines as the camera followers the competitor round the track. One might argue it doesn't matter if the course is great ...

I love the fact that the luge has uphill sections, but the look is rather rough compared to the Whistler slides for Vancouver. Lots of unfinished wood, and random debris in the sight lines as the camera followers the competitor round the track. One might argue it doesn't matter if the course is great ...

Yeah, the unfinished wood, with the scrawl of numbers and marks, is a bit off-putting.

After watching several hours of competition from several venues, I'm really loving the "quilt" graphics. It adds great texture, and I really appreciate they way it looks so different from any other look we've seen. My only real complain is the colours they've chosen. The purple from the snowboarding and biathlon venues just seems so...off? Sour? Harsh? I'm not sure how to quite describe it. Especially compared with the purple London used, it just looks less good than it could. The same way with the blue of the skating/hockey arenas, and that ugly rusty red of the snow jumping... it's so jarring and unpleasant.

Another peeve is the wrapping of the temporary grand stands. Both London and Sochi chose to leave the scaffolding open, with only a few look pieces. I think a well branded grandstand can be one of the best looking parts of any Games. The stands in Vancouver and Salt Lake were stunning.

I'm loving the look--it works really well on TV. Totally pops without being distracting. The matruschka doll on the slopestyle FOP is awesome!

• Like 1

I think the look is great overall, but just like i feel the sliding course is really cheaply built, I think the look is very cheaply printed and applied in sections. eg I don't ever remember such pronounced gap linees between branding strips like you see on the inner rim of the figureskating and speedskating venues. they even look like the edges are curling up...

It is a shame because the look is great.

i haven't noticed anything sloppy with print quality, in fact i felt the opposite

and certain venue wraps follow their structures functional needs *, i've seen nothing stray far from that parameter.

i'm speechless on all the variations and things i love about this program, it's so beautiful in every venue and on camera. the color use and layering is brilliant.

just my opinion
^_^ -love it

181213-Charles-Hamelin-02.jpg

Edited by paul

i haven't noticed anything sloppy with print quality, in fact i felt the opposite

and certain venue wraps follow their structures functional needs *, i've seen nothing stray far from that parameter.

i'm speechless on all the variations and things i love about this program, it's so beautiful in every venue and on camera. the color use and layering is brilliant.

just my opinion

^_^ -love it

181213-Charles-Hamelin-02.jpg

Fair call on the speedskating vancouver photo i stand corrected.

Fair call on the speedskating vancouver photo i stand corrected.

Its probably just more prominent for me because the look is applied in a less busy manner (not a criticism per se of vancouver, i really like both looks).

I wonder if this trend of venue colour themes by london and sochi will be a permanent addition to look programmes. I love it so far. (except maybe the sochi orange/red theme)

There are few look of the games I definitely like as Sochi. I do agree with many, Turin was clever. Atlanta, Mexico City and Barcelona, just like these 2014 Olympics displayed great views from their local cultures and cosmogonies very well linked to the Olympic spirit. But Vancouver and what we have seen from PyeongChang seem to be boring to me.

On the other hand, I like it that they're using the Cyrillic version widely (alternating evenly with the Romanski I think). I remember being a bit disappointed that Athens seemed to only fleeting use Greek lettering in its look branding, and never saw Beijing in Chinese characters in the 2008 look at all (well, I know the logo was sorta meant to be it in stylised form, but still). I just like to see a bit more of local flavouring in a games through such things.

I've noticed that too and it's a nice touch. Hopefully Pyeongchang and Tokyo will follow the path. I would actually wish to extend the use of hosts' language to cases where Latin alphabet is used if the local version differs from English, like Munich. Even if it's the same there are still the slogans and other stuff.

I love the look of the Sochi games, from the branding around the events to the clothing .
That patterned branding really is fantastic.

But also and this is a big surprise, how strangely similar to London 2012 the look of the games is
It Is brining back great memories of London 2012.

Some of the slop side furnishing are very similar to London’s Olympic street furniture.
Including the colour purple.

Well it's just the same four venue colours - purple, orange, blue, a bit of pink. In fact watching the speed skating you could be mistaken for watching the London 2012 velodrome albeit different sports obviously.

There's a lot of elements from London that Sochi have adapted to match their brand.

Terrible and boring look of the games. The Canadians could have done it better.

I really disagree, I think the Vancouver 2010 look was really quite innovative, it wasn't loud, but neither are canadians.

• Like 1

Sochi 2014 is what happens when Euro 2012 and London 2012 collide.

True point, though the euro 2012 embroidery pattern was more Ukrainian and Polish. Sochi does a good job of using alot of distinctly russian patterns (there are one or two in there that are commonly in Ukraine, Poland & Belarus).

But its a good observation Rob and I think Sochi's look pattern reminds me of the euro2012 look when it is subtly applied - ie light blue on blue background - like on the back of the victory ceremony stage or white on blue background like the kiss and cry.

Sochi has the best of both, looks great in in full colour and even better in subtle pattern washes

euro2012-logo.jpg

Euro subtle

140207042858_USATSI_7717539_114815583_lo

Sochi Kiss and Cry

IOC-President-Sochi-stage-is-set-for-exc

looks great in press center with Bach (this in particular shows the maturity in the sochi look and restraint in application)