Sochi / Look of Games

paul

"Cheerful and folksy as it seems, it has a lot more to do with political maneuvering than with anything resembling traditional Russian design.."

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3026349/olympics-branding-to-the-world-russia-is-one-big-happy-family-dammit#6

Not necessarily a bad thing though, pushing looks of the games towards brand messaging and away from geographical and cultural cues will naturally occur in the future as the Games tries to maintain relevance in an ever-connected shrinking global world.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not looks related per say but wow, the snow in the nordic combined venue really looks dirty. Also not any hint of snow outside of the course.

Not looks related per say but wow, the snow in the nordic combined venue really looks dirty. Also not any hint of snow outside of the course.

There's still a fair amount of lying snow off the course, and mercifully the rain has turned to snow this evening, which should freshen things up a bit. For the future of Sochi as a resort, they really don't want to get a reputation of having a very short season of good snow.

Completely false.

Everything look-based came back to the grid that emanated from the logo. London was the most integrated look for its time, and Sochi have taken (dare I say even ripped off) various elements of it in terms of its system and strategy.

I don't see Sochi's quilt pattern as a basis for the torch or cauldron design, neither was it for London.

But at least the Sochi torch, community cauldron and Olympic cauldron all matched. Did Londons?

But at least the Sochi torch, community cauldron and Olympic cauldron all matched. Did Londons?

yes sochi did match but it looks so sub-par when you look at it. the touch is too chucky (and faulty) the community cauldron, even if it tries to be different, look, like an expensive table leg than a cauldron and the Olympic cauldron looks like a.... i have opinions you should just seek on the ceremony section.

and yes london did not do the match-match. but they are aesthetically and functionally beautiful

yes sochi did match but it looks so sub-par when you look at it. the touch is too chucky (and faulty) the community cauldron, even if it tries to be different, look, like an expensive table leg than a cauldron and the Olympic cauldron looks like a.... i have opinions you should just seek on the ceremony section.

and yes london did not do the match-match. but they are aesthetically and functionally beautiful

London's Cauldron was aesthetically beautiful I agree, but it is a stretch to say a cauldron that could not be seen for the first week of the olympics and had to be relit by a cherry picker is 'functionally beautiful'.

Clearly not, but there was some interesting playfulness going on with the community cauldron. It used the rounded-triangle plan-form of the torch, but in profile it widened out at the top in a manner reminiscent of the 1948 London Cauldron (to which the main 2012 Cauldron also paid homage, in its long-term siting).

London's Cauldron was aesthetically beautiful I agree, but it is a stretch to say a cauldron that could not be seen for the first week of the olympics and had to be relit by a cherry picker is 'functionally beautiful'.

That was a matter of ceremonial siting, not of cauldron design. Pretty much everybody, most importantly the IOC, agrees that more respect should have been paid to the "beacon" aspect of the cauldron, both in terms of location and staying alight throughout the Games- but I can't help feeling that Sochi went too far in that direction, both in the extravagant scale and in the disconnection from the Opening Ceremony spectators.

The real lowdown on Tara Lipinski and (mostly) Johnny Weir's wardrobe logistics for their Sochi assignment...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1967347-johnny-weir-and-tara-lipinski-packed-an-absurd-amount-for-sochi-olympics?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=olympics

Most of it is hilarious and outrageous!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived