Sochi / Look of Games

paul

Vancouver's is my favorite look. It's cohesive and the color is very cool to the eye and the Vancouver 2010's look really described what the host city is about. A coastal and cosmopolitan city where the sea meets the sky.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've grown to like the Sochi look - the patchwork is growing on me. Don't really like the slogan though - doesn't really mean anything.

Does anyone know if Sochi chose the venue 'look' colours in any particular fashion like London did?

For example in London the water venues had a 'blue' look, the old/heritage/royal venues had a 'regal purple' look etc.

I really don't like the Sochi podium however - I find the plastic 'ice shards' very tacky - especially when you compare to the attractive wooden ones at Vancouver.

winners-Sochi-2014-slope-style-finals009

I've grown to like the Sochi look - the patchwork is growing on me. Don't really like the slogan though - doesn't really mean anything.

Does anyone know if Sochi chose the venue 'look' colours in any particular fashion like London did?

For example in London the water venues had a 'blue' look, the old/heritage/royal venues had a 'regal purple' look etc.

I really don't like the Sochi podium however - I find the plastic 'ice shards' very tacky - especially when you compare to the attractive wooden ones at Vancouver.

I love the quilted patchwork look since the beginning I think it's one of the strongest look in any Olympics. Hated the slogan until Dmitry Chernyshenko's opening speech. The Games will be hot because of the passion the Games will be cool because of the venues and the Games will be yours because of the Olympic spirit. I think it's his delivery and maybe the fact it's one of the small part of the speech I could understand :P

And that is your opinion. But mine is that it doesn't look as nice as Turin or Sochi, in my point of view.

Fair enough, I was only quoting your comment to continue the conversation, I wasn't attacking your opinion, not sure why such a defensive response.

I also like Turin's Piazza look and sochi's vyshevenya/embroidery look.

I love the quilted look. But am I the only one who thinks the ruffles over the shoulders are a bit much? I remember little girls having pinafores with that type of ruffles over the shoulder. Was quite surprised to see what I considered a very girlish touch on the men's bibs in the snowboarding. Is this a new trend or some kind of error?

I'm sure you weren't attacking my opinion. I didn't mean I was attacking yours, it's just that I didn't like Vancouver at all. I expected a national (Canadian) red colour. Turin used red and looked great in the snowy white of the ice complexes and mountains. I don't think green is so attractive on tv. Atlanta also used green, but psychologically it works on summer. I didn't like Vancouver sports pictograms either.

Vancouver suited the host as far as I'm concerned. It fitted a British Columbia games. And I don't mind when a definite limited colour palette is used.

Funny, I remember most of the criticism of Vancouver's look during its games were that it was too busy and distracting. Yet in that department it's pretty mild compared to Sochi's colourful and complex quilt - which I like as well.

Sochi's look also suits it IMO. I like the blocky cyrillic throughout the word brandings. Between the quilt and the almost Soviet wordmarking, it does touch on lots of Russia's traditions and imagery.

I love the quilted look. But am I the only one who thinks the ruffles over the shoulders are a bit much? I remember little girls having pinafores with that type of ruffles over the shoulder. Was quite surprised to see what I considered a very girlish touch on the men's bibs in the snowboarding. Is this a new trend or some kind of error?

Welcome, Edie.

Yeah, the shoulder ruffles on the bib are distracting. Are they trying to set some new fashion trend? Esp when it comes to the sleeker Xcountry & ski-jump outfits, those shoulder ruffles will look very girly-girly!! Visually, except for the Opening Ceremony, Sochi is a bleh.

Wasn't crazy about those Vancouver tentacles either. Loved Torino's look and Atlanta's own version of the Quilt of Leaves.

38e6b49f31196413ba7157ab40b48632.jpg

it all got a bit strange.

liked the very Vancouver colors, but same mix in all venues got monotonous

very tentacley

illustrations.jpg

pictograms.jpg

colours.jpg

I agree in retrospect it was a little monotonous, Vancouver perhaps could have done other related colours in the 2nd and third teirs of venues.

However that being said in the context of 2010 and not 2014, the only real example of multiple full venue colour schemes was torino with the blue green theme and the red orange theme.

All the other looks had a common dominant colour (atlanta, salt lake, sydney) or set of colours (Bejing and Athens).

Some looks did experiment with different colours in the higher tiers and banners (sydney as one example).

So I think Vancouver's rich detail and graphics in their look was quite groundbreaking at the time (and still is as it is the only look that did not only rely on patterns but shilleoettes aswell).

If it does look monotonous it is only in the context of the colour olympics of the new decade (London & Sochi).

The thing that did really bug me about the vancouver look was using the two line 'Vancouver 2010' wordmark on the venue overlay, i think the one line wordmark always looks better.

As an aside have we seen any led overlay for sochi yet, say in the hockey venue, that was always fun in Vancouver and London?

PS Sorry for quoting the pictures from paul's post, I did not mean to.

Artistically Salt Lake, Torino, Vancouver and Sochi have taken all those choices and came up with many different answers. I loved Torino's look, medal, venues, everything. Vancouver was a letdown here and there but overall was brilliant and spot on without being a cliche of Canada. Sochi is different, Russia and aesthetically not my taste.

My dream: A Parisian Games with an Art Deco/Art Moderne theme

Vancouver suited the host as far as I'm concerned.

......very diplomatic ^_^

Funny, I remember most of the criticism of Vancouver's look during its games were that it was too busy and distracting.

which goes unsaid

Yet in that department it's pretty mild compared to Sochi's colourful and complex quilt - which I like as well.

-sochi found methods of order and control of complex elements and schemes that resulted in a surprisingly effective display of culture, joy, speed, elegance, and celebration.

-vancouver is just a bit reckless and self indulgence - ive always been fascinated with not just the tentacle choice but their sometimes awkward curves, tapering and interaction. did the look compliment venues/athletes/broadcast or was the look to demanding? i do love the palette particularly at a distance or blurredgraphic_illustration_OlympiccoreFusion.j

that's exciting to think about!

Sir Rols, on 13 Feb 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:snapback.png

Vancouver suited the host as far as I'm concerned.

You may see it as diplomatic, but as someone who spent a good deal of time in Vancouver in the lead up and during the vancouver, the look did really suit and embody the spirit of the host city and BC as a whole.

It was young fresh and reflected the the forest and sea outdoor focused life most vancouverites say they live by.

I agree there might have been some design problems but i think Rols was on the mark and I think it will be hard to find any person from vancouver who did not think the look evoked the spirit of their city and province.

I agree this sounds very exciting to think about.

You may see it as diplomatic, but as someone who spent a good deal of time in Vancouver in the lead up and during the vancouver, the look did really suit and embody the spirit of the host city and BC as a whole.

for the recorded i am an alpine enthusiast, have spent many months with my family in whistler, lived in Vancouver, performed at BC place, and i love Vancouver.

i agree the color scheme captures much of the clear, clean, natural, often damp, saturated feel of the city and regional hues.

Ditto....But again I think your criticisms of that look are valid.

Back to Sochi 2014

I think another are where the look is applied very well is on glass and transperent surfaces (like the truce wall) and below as posted by paul previously:

12000370524_371b4c5e46_z.jpg

I don't recall anyone other look doing this as well as sochi.

Wasn't just being diplomatic - I genuinely liked the Vancouver look.

I agree that the mono-colour and glass-etched patterning around Sochi is great and very stylish.

Indeed, I do really love the Sochi look and probably rate it the one of best so far for a games, summer or winter. As I said above, even the blocky wordmarking has been evocative for me. It's definitely been a very pretty and visually impressive games on the surface and TV screens.

I think the Sochi graphics- rich, dark, complex, patchwork, naive yet sophisticated- really help sum up the big, brooding, diverse nation of Russia and its people.

What I really like is that the graphics are consistant across the games- across the website, venues, medals, costumes, comp gear etc.... in London I found the logo/ torch/ cauldron/ graphics/ medals/ costumes all seemed designed by different people of in different styles and materials (gold perferated metal torch, pink logo, bronze-ish cauldron, a mess of lines on the medals etc... so there was no graphic theme of the Games.

What I really like is that the graphics are consistant across the games- across the website, venues, medals, costumes, comp gear etc.... in London I found the logo/ torch/ cauldron/ graphics/ medals/ costumes all seemed designed by different people of in different styles and materials (gold perferated metal torch, pink logo, bronze-ish cauldron, a mess of lines on the medals etc... so there was no graphic theme of the Games.

That's slightly odd. Sochi has two main Look elements (modern lettering and traditional quilt patterns) and one unrelated Cauldron/Torch design. In London, there was one Look element (based on the "mess of lines") but separate Cauldron and Torch designs.

so there was no graphic theme of the Games.

Completely false.

Everything look-based came back to the grid that emanated from the logo. London was the most integrated look for its time, and Sochi have taken (dare I say even ripped off) various elements of it in terms of its system and strategy.

I don't see Sochi's quilt pattern as a basis for the torch or cauldron design, neither was it for London.

Archived