Sochi / Look of Games

paul

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an interesting article. It seems the OCOG were keen to redefine the logo away from the traditional and head in the web address direction. And yet, as far as I'm aware, the Sochi 2014 website is hardly anything ground breaking. Is this really the first digital Olympics? Are people in their droves heading to the website instead of the TV, etc? I just don't see it. The brand 'message' and the reasoning behind the logo doesn't seem to resonate with the Games themselves.

It's all gone full circle because now they're infilling the logo with the quilt pattern, but even this seems a random act and not something that is an integral part of the look system.

And yes, I agree with Rob about the peddling of the cost of London's logo, which wasn't for the logo, but the whole system behind it and the various iterations it appeared as. And Futurebrand, Iris and Someone didn't get any money for designing the Look, mascots or the pictograms, and considering the wealth of design and coherency of work created by various other agencies working for London 2012 as a result of such a well thought out and good branding system, £400,000 was worth it many times over.

Why weren't those agencies paid for their work?

Well Futurebrand didn't because McCann Worldgroup were a service provider to the Games which paid itself back in advertising that fact alone. Iris and Someone were named checked from the start as being agencies responsible for mascots and pictograms and received massive exposure for that fact (Someone regularly talk about the pictogram work as the best work they've ever done simply from the exposure it got them). The Olympic licensing issue that a lot of agencies had to apply for before advertising their work for the Games after it occurred usually were the ones that received a payment of some sorts. But even then many recognised the fact being involved in the project would be nothing but positive.

I'm really loving the way the Look looks up close on those banners (both the full look, and the ones with the logo/rings), but I'm not so sure I like the wrapping of the venues. It might be similar to Vancouver's look for me, in that I loved the way it looked outdoors, but found it to be too busy indoors in the FoP. We'll see how it stands up to TV, though. Nice to see some warm colors, anyhow.

Athletes In Sochi Are Taking Some Cool Photos With The Olympic Rings

While there are some nightmare stories about the conditions in Sochi being reported by journalists, so far the Olympic athletes appear to be having a great time.

One of the more popular things for the athletes to do upon arrival in the Olympic Village is to climb on one set of Olympic Rings and pose for photos with the mountains in the background.

Some of the athletes have gotten creative and artsy in their photos. Here are a few of our favorites so far.

Five members of the Austrian alpine ski team struck a pose.

rtx187dg.jpg

Reuters

U.S. speed skater Maria Lamb climbed all the way to the top for her photo.

rtx187hl.jpg

Reuters

Rebekah Wilson and Paula Walker of the Great Britain bobsled team look like they are going for a swing.

466845793.jpg

Getty Images

Four members of the New Zealand bobsled team stop to take a break.

466840719.jpg

Getty Images

Not every Olympian is willing to climb up on to the rings. Here is a member of the Polish Olympic team.

rtx187kr.jpg

Reuters

U.S. cross-country skiers Sophie Caldwell and Sadie Bjornsen hang from the rings while wearing their skis.

466914657.jpg

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/athletes-sochi-photos-olympic-rings-2014-2#ixzz2sXAuIvKV

Archived