Shanghai Should Consider A 2028 Summer Olympic Bid - Adviser

GBModerator

So China thinks they're the United States now and will just keep bidding no matter how soon it is after their previous bid/hosting?

If China wants to position Shanghai as their next Olympic host site, I don't think anyone will question that move. But 2028? Come on guys.. it's been 5 1/2 years since you last had a Summer Olympics. There's another Summer Olympics on the horizon scheduled for Asia. And for crying out loud, please don't give folks here creedence to think the 8s pattern might actually have a shot of continuing, 2020 notwithstanding.

So China thinks they're the United States now and will just keep bidding no matter how soon it is after their previous bid/hosting?

If China wants to position Shanghai as their next Olympic host site, I don't think anyone will question that move. But 2028? Come on guys.. it's been 5 1/2 years since you last had a Summer Olympics. There's another Summer Olympics on the horizon scheduled for Asia. And for crying out loud, please don't give folks here creedence to think the 8s pattern might actually have a shot of continuing, 2020 notwithstanding.

Quite honestly - I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them.

Obviously with talk of 2022 also, it is clear China has ambitions on a second Olympics - but like Canada and the US, it needs to choose its direction as it likely can't have both.

Aside from the U.S., China is just about the only country that could legitimately ask for a second Olympics so soon - remembering that countries with far less significance have asked for the same (albeit unsuccessfully, but my point is that they were accepted so why can't China?) with Canada (Toronto 1996 after 1976) and Spain (Madrid 2012 after 1992).

Also, as mentioned, Shanghai is China's global city - it is its largest city and its growing economic powerhouse. Beijing got first shot for the Olympics because it is the capital and there were politics at play, but having been to both several times I could honestly say that Shanghai is probably more appropriate for the Olympics anyway - it is extremely photogenic and in a way much more beautiful than Beijing with its distinctly different districts.

I'd imagine any serious Olympic bid would be centred on the 2010 World's Fair site by the river?

While if push came to shove I wouldn't support a Shanghai bid over potential bids from Paris, Durban or a major American city, I still think it would make a legitimately competitive bid, and one that could (if the cards fell right, and other darling bids underwhelmed) could win.

I could see Shanghai being an Atlanta to Durban's Athens - if a potential South African bid in someway shows signs of weakness - the IOC would know they'd be getting 110% quality delivery with China.

PS - I also think Tokyo 2020 has a lot to do with this. China's ego is bruised. I think they were taken by surprised by Tokyo's win, and didn't expect their own event to be eclipsed in Asia so soon.

• Like 1

Shanghai is playing it smartly, knowing that 2024 is coming to Europe, even though I think 2028 will go to Africa, probably Durban. 2036 I recon will be Shanghai VS Toronto. 2032 will be Europe.

I think air quality is an important consideration. They had to undertake extreme measures in 2008 just to get passable air quality. I'm interested in seeing how Beijing handles it for next year's IAAF World Championships.

The media would make less attention to the World Championships with all due respects.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite honestly - I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them.

Obviously with talk of 2022 also, it is clear China has ambitions on a second Olympics - but like Canada and the US, it needs to choose its direction as it likely can't have both.

Aside from the U.S., China is just about the only country that could legitimately ask for a second Olympics so soon - remembering that countries with far less significance have asked for the same (albeit unsuccessfully, but my point is that they were accepted so why can't China?) with Canada (Toronto 1996 after 1976) and Spain (Madrid 2012 after 1992).

Also, as mentioned, Shanghai is China's global city - it is its largest city and its growing economic powerhouse. Beijing got first shot for the Olympics because it is the capital and there were politics at play, but having been to both several times I could honestly say that Shanghai is probably more appropriate for the Olympics anyway - it is extremely photogenic and in a way much more beautiful than Beijing with its distinctly different districts.

I'd imagine any serious Olympic bid would be centred on the 2010 World's Fair site by the river?

While if push came to shove I wouldn't support a Shanghai bid over potential bids from Paris, Durban or a major American city, I still think it would make a legitimately competitive bid, and one that could (if the cards fell right, and other darling bids underwhelmed) could win.

I could see Shanghai being an Atlanta to Durban's Athens - if a potential South African bid in someway shows signs of weakness - the IOC would know they'd be getting 110% quality delivery with China.

PS - I also think Tokyo 2020 has a lot to do with this. China's ego is bruised. I think they were taken by surprised by Tokyo's win, and didn't expect their own event to be eclipsed in Asia so soon.

Excellent points

Not only that. Shanghai is the largest city in the world.

I don't have a problem with them bidding so soon after Beijing. You can't fault a city for bidding. If the IOC doesn't want to go back to China so soon they can simply vote for somewhere else.

However I think the USA getting so many Olympics is massively overstated. Los Angeles got the games in 84 because they were the only city bidding, and Atlanta didn't face an alpha city (IE Paris, Rome, Berlin, etc.) China is free to bid again but I doubt the IOC chooses them unless they don't get another strong city.

Not surprised by this at all, I think dismissing them so early is an outrage as well. Shanghai is quickly becoming China's showcase city and after the 2032 games which I'm still seeing as America's games, China is a shoe-in. Their only threat in that race that's possible is a potential Australian bid, I think it's safe to say that both Sydney and Melbourne handled their legacy's in a far better way then Beijing, and with the IOC trying to fix their legacy they may not want to have another Bejing/Sochi.

On the dole, Shanghai seems like NYC. They are both their nations showcase cities and ideal hosts, but all the cards have to fall into place.

Shanghai looks certain to be China's next Candidate for a Summer Olympics, with Shenzhen or Guangzhou being their closest competitors. But Shanghai is far ahead.