Toronto Won't Bid For 2024 Summer Games

GBModerator

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toronto Canada pulling of of 2024 is an real shame 2024 was the best slot, Los Angeles USA is now a clear frontrunner, Los Angeles has been there when the IOC needed it that city saved the Olympic movement 2 tmes in 1932 and 1984 with out LA then there would be no Olympics Games today.

France future is uncertain and Marine Le Pen could be very well be the next President of France if the polls are right she is the Putin of Western Europe and if she is the President then say goodbye to the 2024 and 2028 and maybe 2032 games for France, Italy economy is not doing good at all and Berlin Germany is also uncertain that they will bid.

Los Angeles USA is the clear city to host the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games South Africa is still not ready for it and need to host the Commonwealth Games 1st. So Los Angeles will be the Beijing 2008 of the 2024 race.

Toronto Canada pulling of of 2024 is an real shame 2024 was the best slot, Los Angeles USA is now a clear frontrunner, Los Angeles has been there when the IOC needed it that city saved the Olympic movement 2 tmes in 1932 and 1984 with out LA then there would be no Olympics Games today.

France future is uncertain and Marine Le Pen could be very well be the next President of France if the polls are right she is the Putin of Western Europe and if she is the President then say goodbye to the 2024 and 2028 and maybe 2032 games for France, Italy economy is not doing good at all and Berlin Germany is also uncertain that they will bid.

Los Angeles USA is the clear city to host the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games South Africa is still not ready for it and need to host the Commonwealth Games 1st. So Los Angeles will be the Beijing 2008 of the 2024 race.

I think that the USOC will go with DC or San Francisco because they haven't held the games yet. My personal preference would be NYC.

Washington & San Fran are bureaucratic messes, & I doubt that they have anything seriously in the works for the USOC to go along with them. And New York is just plain not interested anymore. The likely candidates are Los Angeles, Dallas, Boston & maybe Philadelphia, in order of seriousness from these cities. With the USOC more likely being partial towards L.A. And despite those, the USOC may still not bid, due to them still not feeling confident enough in winning due to a lack of a compelling candidate/narrative.

Don't rule out Toronto just yet. This decision was made by the crippled Toronto city council led by powerless "crack smoking" Rob Ford.

The study is complete and the IOC nomination isn't until late 2015. Toronto is the only COC choice for summer and the Toronto Mayorial race is this fall so everything could change by then.

No promises, but you heard it here first.

Don't rule out Toronto just yet. This decision was made by the crippled Toronto city council led by powerless "crack smoking" Rob Ford.

The study is complete and the IOC nomination isn't until late 2015. Toronto is the only COC choice for summer and the Toronto Mayorial race is this fall so everything could change by then.

Hopefully the voters know to do the right thing and kick that weirdo out...

Its a real shame. I hope we see Chicago come back for 2028/32.

As mush as I agree, Chicago will not foot a bid in the near future. In the months leading up to the vote, the bids approval went down. Chicago is still too corrupt and there is not any mass support for a bid. They made the right decision saying no.

Rob Ford is now making a comeback in the polls 35% of Toronto will vote for him again by the polling Chow comes at 2nd place at 30% so we will be seeing more of Rob Ford in the next 4 1/2 years.

Well there goes a possible 2028 bid...

Did you hear that from someone else? It was unanimously voted down by the Economic committee so I just find it hard to beleive they would revive this come the fall.

Washington & San Fran are bureaucratic messes, & I doubt that they have anything seriously in the works for the USOC to go along with them. And New York is just plain not interested anymore. The likely candidates are Los Angeles, Dallas, Boston & maybe Philadelphia, in order of seriousness from these cities. With the USOC more likely being partial towards L.A. And despite those, the USOC may still not bid, due to them still not feeling confident enough in winning due to a lack of a compelling candidate/narrative.

Even though New York isn't interested anymore they really should bid because they would make the best games with an olympic park at Newton creek where the creek branches off.

While I think Toronto would make a great host, this was ultimately the right choice.

• 2024 is still too early after Vancouver 2010. The Olympics are supposed to be a once-in-a-generation type of event; 14 years is not a big enough gap
  • Toronto has other, more significant issues to contend with (i.e. governance and infrastructure).
  • Toronto doesn't need the Olympics to develop its waterfront. There's already progress on that front, and the examples of London and Melbourne (as mentioned above) show that we don't need a big event to kickstart great development.
  • Ultimately, Toronto can't afford it. When the city (province and feds) still can't figure out a way to fund more public transit lines, it doesn't make any sense to spend billions hosting a three week event.

Maybe Toronto in the 2030s or 2040s will be a better bet. But in the meantime, I'm happy to see other cities/countries have the opportunity to host the world.

While I think Toronto would make a great host, this was ultimately the right choice.

• 2024 is still too early after Vancouver 2010. The Olympics are supposed to be a once-in-a-generation type of event; 14 years is not a big enough gap
  • Toronto has other, more significant issues to contend with (i.e. governance and infrastructure).
  • Toronto doesn't need the Olympics to develop its waterfront. There's already progress on that front, and the examples of London and Melbourne (as mentioned above) show that we don't need a big event to kickstart great development.
  • Ultimately, Toronto can't afford it. When the city (province and feds) still can't figure out a way to fund more public transit lines, it doesn't make any sense to spend billions hosting a three week event.

Maybe Toronto in the 2030s or 2040s will be a better bet. But in the meantime, I'm happy to see other cities/countries have the opportunity to host the world.

Your 1st Point I totally agree with. That's why Beijing won't get 2022.

Also, now we know that New York and Chicago won't Bid, America's best bet is Los Angeles.

Even though New York isn't interested anymore they really should bid because they would make the best games with an olympic park at Newton creek where the creek branches off.

Let's just be clear: no one really knows where New York City stands. There have been no murmurings and no buzz. That's all we know. There's also been no conclusive "we're not interested."

For the umpteenth time, I don't like the idea of Olympics in NYC and I'd be just fine if they were off the radar screen. For the record though, there is no concrete answer on where New York stands.

Let's just be clear: no one really knows where New York City stands. There have been no murmurings and no buzz. That's all we know. There's also been no conclusive "we're not interested."

For the umpteenth time, I don't like the idea of Olympics in NYC and I'd be just fine if they were off the radar screen. For the record though, there is no concrete answer on where New York stands.

At some point (and that day of reckoning may be soon), that complete and total lack of buzz is going to seem pretty conclusive. No one in or involved with the city of New York has any obligation to make a statement to the city's interest in the Olympics and I still believe we're never going to get one.

I do think it's incorrect to say "New York isn't interested anymore" though because that would imply that at some point, New York was interested. Which doesn't seem to be the case. New York has not shown any interest in the 2024 Olympics. That's pretty much a statement of fact at this point and cannot be disputed.

2 things to note on the New York front though for those who still think there might be a glimmer of hope (although I'm not 1 of them).. there's a moderately big sporting event occurring in the NYC area in the next 2 weeks. So that has probably had a lot of people's attention and taken up their time over the past couple of years. Once that has happened, maybe then there are folks out there who will begin to set their sights on the Olympics.

That's the good news. The bad news is that there's a new mayor in town and Bill de Blasio doesn't strike me as the type of mayor who will encourage a long term urban planning initiative such as the Olympics. Maybe someone comes along and can convince him otherwise, but I'm not counting on it.

Ok back to Toronto

I am unhappy about the reasoning behind why Toronto will not bid, but happy with the result. Toronto bidding is throwing good money after bad. Instead of spending 100 million on a bid that will ultimately end in failure, it would be better spent on summer sport so that Canada can have more than 1 Olympic Champion.

Though this decision could send Canada's hopes of an Olympic Games back by 30 years if Calgary bids for 2026 now.

Haven't heard yet from Africa. They're the...uhmmm...elephant in the room.

Oh right, Africa. That place with 13 or 14 of the 110 IOC members and a bevy of human, political and economic issues.

OK let me reconsider what I said.

2024 is going to Europe.

At some point (and that day of reckoning may be soon), that complete and total lack of buzz is going to seem pretty conclusive. No one in or involved with the city of New York has any obligation to make a statement to the city's interest in the Olympics and I still believe we're never going to get one.

I do think it's incorrect to say "New York isn't interested anymore" though because that would imply that at some point, New York was interested. Which doesn't seem to be the case. New York has not shown any interest in the 2024 Olympics. That's pretty much a statement of fact at this point and cannot be disputed.

2 things to note on the New York front though for those who still think there might be a glimmer of hope (although I'm not 1 of them).. there's a moderately big sporting event occurring in the NYC area in the next 2 weeks. So that has probably had a lot of people's attention and taken up their time over the past couple of years. Once that has happened, maybe then there are folks out there who will begin to set their sights on the Olympics.

That's the good news. The bad news is that there's a new mayor in town and Bill de Blasio doesn't strike me as the type of mayor who will encourage a long term urban planning initiative such as the Olympics. Maybe someone comes along and can convince him otherwise, but I'm not counting on it.

I agree, Bloomberg was the mayor for NY of they really wanted the Olympics. There were other mayor hopefuls that were on the NYC2012 committee but they didn't make it far. De blasio seems more of a helping out citizens then a urban planner.

Archived