Toronto Won't Bid For 2024 Summer Games

GBModerator

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smart choice. There is no realistic opportunity for Toronto to win this up against potentials Durban and Paris - although I would have thought they would have held out making a decision a bit longer in order to get concrete info.

To the Toronto guys and girls on here - I imagine this would be bitterly disappointing --- but in the long run this will benefit Toronto as it means the city avoids Madrid style bid fatigue. I think the 2030s are realistically the time Toronto should aim for, and depending on how things go in 2024, 2028 has more potential.

On top of any other reason, it's a pity because this board would have lit up in activity for the next four years had Toronto bid.

Smart choice. There is no realistic opportunity for Toronto to win this up against potentials Durban and Paris

Neither are locks to enter, though. I wouldn't be that confident in today's bidding environment.

I still think the tension between a first African Olympics, and 'going home' to a third Paris Olympics --- both which have a strong case for wanting 'justice' from the IOC --- will bring out some interesting discussion.

Don't get me wrong - I think France is quite likely to enter, and if they do they'd be a favourite. But the recent examples of public cynicism towards bids in Germany, Sweden, Switzerland and Austria mean I wouldn't take it for granted yet either.

South Africa - I've long had a high regard for their unwillingness to jump into a bid before they feel they're good and ready and can do it responsibly. Again, I wouldn't be too surprised to see them sit another round out. I probably deep down feel they should go first for the 2022 CWGs and then a 2028 or 32 Olympic bid.

I sure wouldn't write the US off.

On top of any other reason, it's a pity because this board would have lit up in activity for the next four years had Toronto bid.

Judging by all the flame wars on here back in 2001 for 2008, I don't know that necessarily would be a good thing. Would make the nasty Castellanos that were here for 2020 seem like a walk in the park in comparison.

Judging by all the flame wars on here back in 2001 for 2008, I don't know that necessarily would be a good thing. Would make the nasty Castellanos that were here for 2020 seem like a walk in the park in comparison.

I suppose it's always fun to watch from the bleachers, but not so enjoyable to be in the trenches.

I suppose it's always fun to watch from the bleachers, but not so enjoyable to be in the trenches.

You're right. And when you put it like that, it would be just awesome if we had a Madrid/Toronto 2024 showdown!! It would be World War III around here then. It would be CLASSIC!! :D

Its funny how some cities tend to produce certain sorts of people online. I've noticed here and on other websites, Toronto in particular seems to have a really aggressive, self-assured online civic pride presence.

inferiority complex
noun
Psychiatry. intense feeling of inferiority, producing a personality characterized either by extreme reticence or, as a result of overcompensation, by extreme aggressiveness.
lack of self-esteem; feeling of inadequacy; lack of self-confidence.

Since Toronto isn't biding, this opens up the door for a USA bid to be one of the front runners along with Paris and Istanbul

No it doesn't. If a U.S. bid and Toronto were in the same race, I don't know how many people would back Toronto over a capable U.S. city. This maybe opens the door a tiny bit for the USOC. At the same time, if Toronto felt it wise to not enter the race, perhaps the USOC will follow suit and decide they don't think it's in the cards either.

Pittsburgh had said a while back that they're not interested anyway. Nashville's mayor was lukewarm, at best, about the idea. And Indianpolis, seriously. It's not like the USOC would pick any of those anyway. Nashville even got bypassed for 1996 in favor of Minneapolis & Atlanta, which we all know by now who obviously ended up with the nod. Anything less than the top ten U.S. cities is a joke. And even that is probably stretching it.

Archived