Medal Ceremonies

Agree with you Juso about the crossbars on the flagpoles - just makes it all feel even more staged than it is, adding to the souless feel of the ceremonies.

TV wise too I don't think a session of back to back medal ceremonies encourages broadcasters to show them - I do think more would be shown if they were at the venues after the events.

I hate the Ceremonies at a Plaza idea..... especially in this case where the Plaza is not in the centre of town where the people/ buzz is.

I haven't seen one ceremony on Australian TV, if they were at the venues straight after the event they would broadcast them all.

Also, I think the fans at the event, and some events are really short, deserve to see the medal ceremony as part of their Olympic experience.

I hate the Ceremonies at a Plaza idea..... especially in this case where the Plaza is not in the centre of town where the people/ buzz is.

I haven't seen one ceremony on Australian TV, if they were at the venues straight after the event they would broadcast them all.

Also, I think the fans at the event, and some events are really short, deserve to see the medal ceremony as part of their Olympic experience.

Actually, if you watch the Channel One overnight feed or it's replay during the day, they've shown parts of the ceremonies all three nights. I've watched the US slope style ceremony, The Canadian sisters and the Russian team skating ceremonies. All with full anthems. You usually wouldn't get any foreign ceremonies in Oz TV.

By the way: Is it just me or did they recycle the national anthem recordings for London 2012 for Sochi's medal ceremonies? The arrangement of the German anthem seems to be exactly the same. That's quite surprising, if you bear in mind how much money they spent for the Sochi Games - but they didn't have (or want to pay) the money for a new recording set of national anthems.

Worst still is the robotic flagpoles with the ugly crossbars. It makes what should be a special moment seem like dime a dozen which is a shame.

The funny thing I noticed is that there are two sets of 3 flag poles. They raised the flags on one while the other one is being prepped for the next ceremony. They go through medal ceremonies like a factory spits out widgets.

I am pretty sure we had a thread ages ago about the pros/cons of medal ceremonies. They started in Salt Lake City but they have become too contrived. Sochi also isn't taking full advantage of them as there are no clips of the athlete's performances used.

• Like 2

I did not know there two flag pole sets, thats even worse.

I think vancouver was a little better as they made a bit more of a show with the raising (mounties marching etc), vancouver was also a Venue standard vertical hand as there was a roof. I still think a natural flagpole with rope and soldier raising and artificial wind machine to avoid limpness would have been the best alternative.

It's interesting that for such a heavily militarily protected games, and all the Russian reputation for military pomp and spectacle, they've avoided any real military touches (since Peter the Great) at all in their ceremonials.

By the way, off topic (this is OC), but did anybody else notice they did indeed have a very brief and very subtle nod to the Great Patriotic War - a very brief broadcast of sounds of dive bombers an fighter jets?

. They started in Salt Lake City

They have been going on for 52 years now. Started in Squaw Valley 1960. Salt Lake just added the showier stage & concert.

I think for security reasons, they don't want people gathering longer than necessary in one spot..and which is why they are rushing the ceremonies. I believe that is what Security has advised them.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

It's interesting that for such a heavily militarily protected games, and all the Russian reputation for military pomp and spectacle, they've avoided any real military touches (since Peter the Great) at all in their ceremonials.

By the way, off topic (this is OC), but did anybody else notice they did indeed have a very brief and very subtle nod to the Great Patriotic War - a very brief broadcast of sounds of dive bombers an fighter jets?

Apparently the Patriotic War segment was intended to be longer, but the IOC vetoed it.

As for the "reputation for military pomp" element, I suspect that they're avoiding such displays precisely because that reputation is so strong!

Just as a reminder, since I'm not sure whether it was overlooked... ;)

By the way: Is it just me or did they recycle the national anthem recordings for London 2012 for Sochi's medal ceremonies? The arrangement of the German anthem seems to be exactly the same. That's quite surprising, if you bear in mind how much money they spent for the Sochi Games - but they didn't have (or want to pay) the money for a new recording set of national anthems.

Yes, and the impression of wartime searchlights on the stands during the plane noises.

I thought the enormous suffering of the Russia (and all other nations) during WW2 deserved just a little bit more. Stalingrad for example is very close to Sochi.

Maybe a recreation of Kursk, the greatest tank battle in history! Maybe not.

Honestly, what is contrived about the medal ceremonies? They haven't changed much over the years except they have added a musical accompaniment. And yes, they are showing highlights of the athletes prior to their appearance. The emotions and expressions of joy from the athletes are genuine. I also don't think there isn't a frustrated jock among us all who do not watch with some envy, just wondering how it would feel if we were up at the podium.

Looking at the photographs of the Sochi Cauldron, all I can think of is the inclined tower of the Montreal Olympic Stadium, (which was painfully incomplete at the time of the 1976 games, of course). In any event, that inclined cauldron certainly evokes images of Montreal.

You know, I was looking at Montreal in Google Maps one day and happened upon the Olympic Stadium, and I completely agree.

Having just heard God Save the Queen, I can confirm that, yes, it's exactly the same recording as they used in London.

Good to know these LPO recordings are getting a bit more use! And probably a relief for Russian Orchestras that they didn't have to re-record them all.

Made me laugh when Clare Balding said "interesting version of the anthem, not sure I've heard that before". Yep, you did Clare! 29 times, 2 years ago!

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

Medal ceremony starts at 8 every night. Two "hip" DJ-types come out to get the crowd fired up. Russian soldiers ceremonially march in the flags. Then at 8:14 (or 20:14) the first medals are given out.

First they announce the event, then show brief videos of the winners. Introduce the IOC bigwig and sport federation VIP who give out the medals. Bring on the athletes, give them medals and flowers, then the anthem. Flags are raised by soldiers turning cranks if it matters. Olympians then pose for pictures, waive to crowd - usually tossing flowers to countrymen in crowd - then head out for the next event. The five events take about an hour, ending 9:15ish

I've been the last two nights, and they've only used the one set of flag poles. No idea what the second set is for.

Big enthusiastic crowds when they Are Russians getting medals. Smaller crowds when not.

• Like 1

Having just heard God Save the Queen, I can confirm that, yes, it's exactly the same recording as they used in London.

Good to know these LPO recordings are getting a bit more use! And probably a relief for Russian Orchestras that they didn't have to re-record them all.

Made me laugh when Clare Balding said "interesting version of the anthem, not sure I've heard that before". Yep, you did Clare! 29 times, 2 years ago!

I think this might be the start of the IOC's leaner and more sensible 'Transfer of Knowledge' program. It is really redundant to have to record 204 anthems every 4 years. I always questioned that. While it was good opptys for local musicians and arrangers, it really didn't serve a larger, more noble, more spendthrift purpose. Each new OCOG will probably just be responsible for new/changed anthems.

I think this might be the start of the IOC's leaner and more sensible 'Transfer of Knowledge' program. It is really redundant to have to record 204 anthems every 4 years. I always questioned that. While it was good opptys for local musicians and arrangers, it really didn't serve a larger, more noble, more spendthrift purpose. Each new OCOG will probably just be responsible for new/changed anthems.

Very true. They could even use London's set of anthem recordings for every future Olympic host (even if I wasn't an extreme fan of, for example, their arrangement of the German anthem - the arrangements in general sounded a bit stale). Or the IOC commissions its own set of national anthem recordings and hands those out to every future Olympic host. And if any new NOC is added, they simply commission a new recording in the same style of the other recordings. Lots of money saved!

• Like 1

Very true. They could even use London's set of anthem recordings for every future Olympic host (even if I wasn't an extreme fan of, for example, their arrangement of the German anthem - the arrangements in general sounded a bit stale). Or the IOC commissions its own set of national anthem recordings and hands those out to every future Olympic host. And if any new NOC is added, they simply commission a new recording in the same style of the other recordings. Lots of money saved!

i agree with Baron and Olympian regard to this might be a result of the Knowledge Transfer Programme, more specifically, I imagine this is handled now by OBS.

What is becoming increasingly obvious watching Sochi from both the Canadian and Australian Broadcasts is that broadcasters are becoming increasingly reliant on the standard OBS feeds and are not even cutting in their own edits into the OBS master feed for most events.

I think a reason for this is, that while each broadcaster may want to edit for australian/other athletes in specific big draw card events, the demand of 6-8 channel live streaming means the many events only get commentary overlay and dont edit on top of the main OBS feed.

I actually think this is good in some ways and I think the universal OBS model, vs previous OBO's is a great step forward for consistency and allievates a good deal of pressure from olympic hosts. I suppose it is a shame in some ways as it limits the local tv production crews from having more comprehensive involvement/experience from hosting the broadcasting in a more complete way. I know for example the production value of the seven network was significantly better overall at live sport broadcasting after the sydney games involvement.

I do like the consistent graphics/score package used originally by the OBO's and now OBS.

I think the one being used now is version 2 that started in Beijing, as opposed to the more square version one that started in Sydney 2000 and used in Salt Lake, Athens, Turin. What is nice about this version is how it subtly used the look of the current games as blue on blue patterns but ties also ties the olympic footage together from different games and makes that older footage seem less aged despite fouryears between the footage.

Lastly, as much as I love custom broadcaster graphics packages (especially CBC's Sochi package), I think it is becoming a little jarring as the OBS graphics are used more and the local broadcaster's graphics are used less.

NBC will always do its own thing, but perhaps we will slowly see the OBS graphics take over completely to reaffirm a consistent brand.

i agree with Baron and Olympian regard to this might be a result of the Knowledge Transfer Programme, more specifically, I imagine this is handled now by OBS.

(in consultation with the ceremonies team)

It would be nice if they showed the medal ceremonies on a different type of channel. Something with art and culture. In the US maybe even the history channel. Here we have ARTE which is a French/German channel. It would be nice to see the entertainment. I mean it is only an hour.