Medal Ceremonies

It's entirely possible I've missed this somewhere, but do we have details on the various components of the medal ceremonies?

Final design of the medals plaza stage construction, the medal podium design, medal ceremonies music etc etc?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they might do it in front of the cauldron tower, but i'm not sure.

They most certainly will, the place where the cauldron tower is located has always been called the Medal Plaza (already since the times of Sochi's bidding process, if I'm not mistaken). And also the lights and fountains show below the cauldron is very much designed for the entertainment of the crowds during (or rather before and after) the medal ceremonies.

• 3 weeks later...

They most certainly will, the place where the cauldron tower is located has always been called the Medal Plaza (already since the times of Sochi's bidding process, if I'm not mistaken). And also the lights and fountains show below the cauldron is very much designed for the entertainment of the crowds during (or rather before and after) the medal ceremonies.

I wonder if the mysterious sixth ring of the fountains will have some special use during medal ceremonies :mellow:

I wonder if the mysterious sixth ring of the fountains will have some special use during medal ceremonies :mellow:

Heard from ISOH contact who is already in Sochi. He said the fountain area was fenced off earlier today (I am US west coast time; I guess he was responding Sochi AM time) and will try to get back to me if he has an answer.

My guess is that it is just some artistic license taken by the Soviet fountain designer. And while it doesn't really muck about the original 5 rings, the IOC will just let it go since it is only for aesthetic reasons and not any commercial ones.

Just watched the medal ceremonies in the plaza - jeez, it really does look bleak and sparse. Like a few dozen people milling about a dark car park in front of a stage. None of the vibe we saw from Vancouver or SLC. Are they doing nightly concerts? Be interesting to hear Puppy's accounts of the Sochi street vibe.

8207440.jpg

There are only the five Olympic rings there. I think the sixth might have been to trick people into thinking they were something different.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2014/02/8207440.jpg

I'm wondering what's up with those non-white tiles on the cauldron? It's like the space shuttle after re-entry.

Returning to the medal ceremonies: Is any video of those ceremonies out there on the internet yet? German TV has possibly not broadcast any yet, since German athletes didn't win a medal yesterday. What kind of music do they play for the ceremonies? Or are there any photos?

Thanks for the hint! I could already watch the medal ceremony for the men's snowboard slopestyle (http://olympics.cbc.ca/medalceremony/videos/video/medal-ceremony-men-snowboard-slopestyle.html) and it seems that the flower/medal girls wear some traditionally styled costumes with (probably fake) fur caps and in the quilted pattern they also use for the look of the Games. And they play some bombastic orchestral music.

Never understood why the Winter Olympics has a medals plaza - if they can have a "flower ceremony" at the venues they can have a medals ceremony there too. Surely too if the IOC are serious about cutting costs it would be one of the first things that could go.

The ceremonies got a rare outing on the BBC network coverage today thanks to Jenny Jones winning bronze - didn't seem to have any atmosphere at all and presenting the medals in the middle of an oversized stage just added to the sterile environment. And if you're doing the ceremonies in the middle of the Olympic park at least design the plaza in such a way that the cauldron is a focal point of it all - apart from a distant glimpse behind the flags you couldn't really see it.

Never understood why the Winter Olympics has a medals plaza - if they can have a "flower ceremony" at the venues they can have a medals ceremony there too. Surely too if the IOC are serious about cutting costs it would be one of the first things that could go.

The ceremonies got a rare outing on the BBC network coverage today thanks to Jenny Jones winning bronze - didn't seem to have any atmosphere at all and presenting the medals in the middle of an oversized stage just added to the sterile environment. And if you're doing the ceremonies in the middle of the Olympic park at least design the plaza in such a way that the cauldron is a focal point of it all - apart from a distant glimpse behind the flags you couldn't really see it.

Brekkie Boy I completely agree, I expected that the podium for the victory ceremonies was going to just in front of the cauldron and having the LED lighting and fountain peaking in the countries colours as the anthem is being played. Worst still is the robotic flagpoles with the ugly crossbars. It makes what should be a special moment seem like dime a dozen which is a shame.

Then having the military officers do nothing just amplify's it. I understand that they hang flags vertically on rigging in indoor venues, but this horizontal version looks horrible.. should have had normal ropes and flag raising on a normal flagpole and put some wind generators to make it fly like in the OC...

Returning to the medal ceremonies: Is any video of those ceremonies out there on the internet yet? German TV has possibly not broadcast any yet, since German athletes didn't win a medal yesterday. What kind of music do they play for the ceremonies? Or are there any photos?

Olympian don't worry, you are not missing anything.

The victory ceremony score is pretty disappointing compared to past games. It sounds patchy, very loud for the medal then dramatically soft again and looped for the next medal.

Brekkie Boy I completely agree, I expected that the podium for the victory ceremonies was going to just in front of the cauldron and having the LED lighting and fountain peaking in the countries colours as the anthem is being played. Worst still is the robotic flagpoles with the ugly crossbars. It makes what should be a special moment seem like dime a dozen which is a shame.

Then having the military officers do nothing just amplify's it. I understand that they hang flags vertically on rigging in indoor venues, but this horizontal version looks horrible.. should have had normal ropes and flag raising on a normal flagpole and put some wind generators to make it fly like in the OC...

In defence of Sochi: They also had those flags on crossbars in Vancouver (I seem to remember them at least from the medal ceremonies in Whistler). I don't like that either, but it seems to be more practical for them or anything, at least there must be a reason why one can see those crossbars more and more often at big sports events.

Plus: If they used flags on normal flagpoles, I doubt that they would need wind generators. Unlike the Olympic Stadium, the Medal Plaza should have lots of "natural wind", due to its openness and especially its location near the sea.

Looking at the photographs of the Sochi Cauldron, all I can think of is the inclined tower of the Montreal Olympic Stadium, (which was painfully incomplete at the time of the 1976 games, of course). In any event, that inclined cauldron certainly evokes images of Montreal.

Archived