New records in countries, athletes, events

Gangwon

Sochi 2014: 88 participating countries, 2880 athletes, 98 events

Vancouver 2010: 82 participating countries, 2566 athletes, 86 events

Lake Placid 1980: 37 participating countries, 1072 athletes, 38 events

If you thought Vancouver was big, it just keeps on growing. Soon we'll be at 100 countries, 3000 athletes, 100 events.

90 nations at a Winter Games. I never would have believed that as I thought we had maxed out in the low 80s after having 80 and 82 at the last two games.

I think the event program has reached the perfect size and will not grow much more, besides what more could be added?

The thing is there are already so many obscure nations that provide 1 or 2 athletes. I suppose it's possible another 10 non-winter nations can provide 1 or 2 athletes of their own in addition to the 90.

1980 and 1984 had roughly the same number of events, but by 1984 there were 200 more athletes and 8 more countries. I do hope that the number of events stop growing. Even most of the new events for Sochi were unnecessary. The exception being women's ski jumping, which is a great natural addition.

There are more events that could be added for sure.

These are actual events that happen on the world cup circuit or Youth Olympics:

-Alpine team event

-Freestyle skiing dual moguls M/W

-Synchronized skating (totally against this btw)

-Snowboard big air for M

-Short track 3000m for M and W

-Speed skating team sprint event for M and W

-Hockey skills challenge M/W (like the youth event)

-Ski jumping women's large and team events

-Monobob M/W (which will be tried out at the 2016 Youth Olympics; though the sliding track is at its maximum I believe for events)

-Curling mixed doubles

That is 16 or so events

A lot of nations piggybacked of athletes born elsewhere. Malta, Togo, Paraguay, Timor Leste, Dominica, five of the seven nations had all their athletes born outside the country, while Zimbabwe had their athlete leave at the age of 2. So as we progress we might see skiers from other countries debuting. Eritrea will likely be there in 2018 and benefit like the other 6 have.

90 nations at a Winter Games. I never would have believed that as I thought we had maxed out in the low 80s after having 80 and 82 at the last two games.

I think the event program has reached the perfect size and will not grow much more, besides what more could be added?

90 nations -- why, that's TEN MORE than there were in Moscow. So I think the Russians will be thinking they have more friends this time than 34 years ago.

Yep Baron, just like the Americans felt more loved when 50 more countries showed up in Atlanta than had in LA.

BTW, I wish the quote button would actually work. It seems to for some, but I know others are having issues too.

According to some reports Russia will be the largest team with 225 to the USA's 224 and Canada's alleged 222 (I only count 217). Weirdly Russia's wikipedia page says Russia qualified 26 in freestyle, but on the freestyle page it says Russia qualified 21.

Archived