Sign in to follow this  
krow

your top 3 favorite books

all these light threads lately + my reference to the fact that tony e. should read a book in the sochi nations thread (he really should; a tale of two cities, perhaps?) + the fact that we're all restless this month before sochi had me wondering what everyone's favorite books are.

this saturday is my weekend a month to drive downtown to the fantastic LA central library, so i'm wondering what i should checkout. if i respect you, i will certainly take your suggestions into serious consideration. if i don't, well, i guess you're posting for the rest of the board, baron, not that you've ever read any book but your own.

my favorite three, and this was hard because i was tempted to include frankenstein or david copperfield. maybe i should have made this top 5:

dangerous liaisons

lolita

the jewel in the crown by paul mark scott (great miniseries; better book)

PS tony e, one of the cities in "a tale of two cities" is LONDON. try not to skim the paris parts.

Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann

The Album by Mary Roberts Rinehart

The Greene Murder Case by S.S. van Dine

oooh i read death in venice at work and almost got fired for it because they caught me at my desk with my feet up. i will check out buddenbrooks, thank you CAF.

oh and the reason i almost got fired instead of written up, was because i also got caught reading myra breckindridge by gore vidal at work. i don't read at work anymore.

Buddenbrooks is a fantastic book

I am from Northern Germany and Thomas Mann did a great job (he was only 22 years old, when he started to write it) - and you should be sure that you get the new translation of Woods...

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

I would give my 3 favourite books but I am sure krow would find some way to make fun of them as immature, amateur, pretentious or some other insult.

I would give my 3 favourite books but I am sure krow would find some way to make fun of them as immature, amateur, pretentious or some other insult.

:( but it'd be witty at least.

Ooh! I love books. <- Tumblr in a sentence.

Let me think. I hope you'll allow me to include trilogies and such. Most of my favorite books are actually 3 or more :P Here are my favorites listed in no particular order:

The Mortal Engines Quartet by Phillip Reeve

I love these books. It's about gigantic moving cities that eat each other for materials in a post apocalyptic future. It sounds insane I know, but these are beautifully imaginative, and steampunk! For those of you obsessed with London, the primary setting of the books is on the moving city of London. I dare say, my first and as of yet only attempt at writing a book drew from this series. Not much to say about it. It's just such a fun read that really pushes your imagination.

Ender's Saga by Orson Scott Card

I.. wow. Reading these books was insane for me. I picked it up, and genuinely couldn't put it down. I've read it multiple times and it's still amazing. A movie was made of the first book, but I haven't seen it yet, people haven't said it's quite that correct to the book. Emm, a bit about the books. It's set in the future. Not so apocalyptic this time. I... don't know where to begin, just read it, there's so many sub plots and stuff. Holy Olympia, I can't even begin to explain it! It's amazing. The world the books are set in is so thought out, a lot of the books aren't about the same character, but still capture you in. Ugh, it's so addictive. I'd say it's written by a Lunatic, and in a way, it was. Orson Scott Card is a very vocal homophobe. But even if I don't like him, I can like what he makes, right? :)

Bartimaeus Trilogy Sequence by Jonathan Stroud

I had the great fortune to meet Jonathan Stroud once when he signed my copies of his books. It was at school and I was in a rush to meet him, and during the way I dropped my book, which I had also broken, so the pages naturally fell out everywhere. He saw me running in and I handed him the pile of pages. He remarked "I can tell you've read the book well" or something like that, I can't remember. It's stuck with me. :) Emm... so the books. It's set in modern day London (I hear London's pretty popular) in a world where the government uses demons to do it's bidding. The series follows one child being taught how to summon the demons (They're called Djinns pronounced "Gin" similar to Genie) , and the demon Bartimaeus whom he summons in their adventures. Lot's of stuff happens and it's really fun.

I guess, well, all these books series are absolutely amazing. I should probably go and re-read them again. I love them so much. <3 I'll give some runner-ups (Is that ok? Please don't hurt me.) , well, I suppose they're not quite runner-ups, as one series (again with the series Alpha, why don't you just read a single book?) is more of a painting book and the other is an author, albeit a very good one.

Dinotopia painted/written by James Gurney

These books are about a hidden island in the middle of the pacific (Lost anyone?) on which Dinosaurs never died out, and hence a society where humans and dinosaurs live alongside each other is born. The name is a portmanteau of Dinosaur and Utopia, a really fitting name. The paintings featured in the books are beautiful, and really pushes your imagination (There's that word again). I could talk for hours about this series, or I could just be quiet and imagine living there. It's simply a pleasure to read and look at. The thought that's gone into this world is tremendous, it's so wonderful. I'm not doing it justice at all by this snippet. (Actually that could be said for all of these books.)

Michael Crichton, write of Jurassic Park and others.

This guy wrote the original book that Jurassic Park (Wow, more dinosaurs?) is based off of. He's written a bunch more, some of my favorites include Pirate Latitudes, a book about pirates in the (not "of the") Caribbean, and Airframe, a book about plane crash investigation. You can tell his writing is varied but the one unifying factor is how freaking amazing it is. He writes amazingly well, and just pulls you in. Unfortunately he died recently. But his name will most certainly live on in my book collection.

Well, that's all. I hope this post wasn't too long. I do that sometimes. :P I just love all these books/series/authors/paintingbookthings. I hope you guys enjoy this post, I spent a while on it. :)

P.S. My little snippets about the books do not do any of them justice. They all stand amazingly well on their own, and are so amazing it's hard to describe them.

P.P.S. My copy of 20,000 leagues under the sea is also amazing as well! Ugh, I wish I thought of it while writing that post.

"The Drowned World" by J.G. Ballard

"Domain" by James Herbert

"The War of the Worlds" by H.G. Wells

(but if playscripts were eligible I'd include:

"The Bed Sitting Room" by Spike Milligan and John Antrobus)

Perfume by Patrick Süskind

It Can't Always Be Caviar (english version available for a lot of money only) by Johannes Mario Simmel (other title, but same book: The Monte Cristo Cover-Up (english version available for little money))

The Past is Myself by Christabel Bielenberg

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

The mortal engines series is absolutely fantastic and I'm pleased somebody else put that on the list! So many people I have recommended them to and people love them!!

I'll have to give the Mortal Engines series a try, always glad to come upon some good new sci-fi.

Bit hard to pin down my top three for any genre, much less overall. I'll just give my current faves in a few categories:

Sci-Fi: Ender's Game's already been mentioned, so I won't put that (and BTW, actually liked the movie as well). I'll nominate Stephen Donaldson's Gap series - really good space opera/saga with a gritty edge. Sorta Game of Thrones meets Star Wars.

Fantasy/historical: Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle - it's hard to categorise this - alternative history? historical romp? quill-punk sci-fi? Whatever, a really rambling, fun trilogy through the Restoration and Baroque eras, from Isaac Newton to the barbary Coast to Versailles.

Thriller: I've mentioned the Philip Kerr Bernie Gunther Berlin detective series before. I'll add the Shardlake series by CJ Sansom, a hunchback lawyer/detective in Tudor England who gets involved in all sorts of cases that puts him into conflict and intrigue with the Royal Court.

• Like 1

"The Invisible Cities", by Italo Calvino - one of the most beautiful pieces of 20th century literature. People who enjoy traveling and exploring citiescapes will connect with this book

"The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas", by Machado de Assis - groundbreaking novel of 19th century literature in Brazil. A cynical dead guy narrates his life in the afterlife. Very acid humor.

"Wuthering Heights", by Emily Bronthë - a guilty pleasure...

(cityscapes...)

at random...why i'm not certain....keep going back.....

The Idiot

Music for Chameleons

The Great Thoughts

I dont really have 3 favourite books as such but more favourite writers

Leo Tolstoy - Anna Karenina, War and Peace

Charles Dickens - Oliver, Great Expectations, Christmas Carol etc

Jane Austin - Emma, Pride and Prejudice etc

I am more of a classics person - can't stand the dribble that they publish today

I think my 3 would have to be ....

- Beijing Coma by Ma Jian

- Imperium by Robert Harris

- Fatherland by Robert Harris

Actually, anything by Robert Harris is amazing.

Fatherland - Robert Harris.

Margaret Thatcher the Authorized Biography Part 1, Charles Moore.

The entire Southern Victory novel series - Harry Turtledove.

Okay, after consideration, my favourite classic books (those I actually enjoyed reading rather than just felt worthy that I read them):

* Catch-22 - Joseph Heller (I actually re-read this again just a few months ago - it hasn't lost its appeal).

* Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen (or as Scotguy put it, just about anything she wrote)

* Catcher In the Rye- JD Salinger (This is the only one of the three I haven't read again since I was a teenager, but still remember really enjoying it. Isn't this everyone's favourite serious "teenage angst" book?)

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

Not necessarily the greatest books I have ever read but we were asked to name 3 personal favourites. So (in no particular order):

The Sleepwalkers by Arthur Koestler ( a quirky and different take on the heroes of the 16th and 17th century Scientific Renaissance).

A Distant Mirror by Barbara W. Tuchman ( a highly readable account of the turmoil of 14th century Europe)

Q by Luther Blissett (a clever historical detective novel set during the 16th century Reformation)

Edited by Mainad

3. ?

Paulette...look below at my logo!!

Mine...in ascending order:

1. All My Patients are under the Bed by Louis Camuti... http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/542736.All_My_Patients_are_Under_the_Bed

2. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil...and

3. see below.... SotOC!! :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Well, since Krow made this thread I thought I'd answer in the style of a typical Krow post on the site: give a sarcastic response that contributes nothing to the forum.

So, my favourite three books are:

Clifford the Big Red Dog

The Berenstein Bears

Any of the Goosbumps books by R.L. Stein.

• Like 1