Yeah, I'd agree with that. The sense of expectation and excitement was palpable at the start of Beijing, but as it wore on I became a bit awed-out and I just couldn't shake the feeling something was missing... soul. Maybe a lot was lost in translation but it seemed a bit plastic and totally unrealistic. These ceremonies always are to a certain extent but you usually get a sense of place and people. I couldn't say that Beijing or its people really featured in the ceremony; it was just an impressive heaving mass of clones.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I suspect that the IOC and FIFA are going through a "learning cycle" about the need to chose their new frontiers more carefully. There's an inevitability to Qatar and Sochi - although I don't really h

That one is a bit tough - the crowd inside the stadium was absolutely enthralled. The sense of pride was immense. The issue with the Beijing OC was that a lot of it was designed for the rest of the

Ceremonies speculations here start just after the president opens the envelope.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. The sense of expectation and excitement was palpable at the start of Beijing, but as it wore on I became a bit awed-out and I just couldn't shake the feeling something was missing... soul. Maybe a lot was lost in translation but it seemed a bit plastic and totally unrealistic. These ceremonies always are to a certain extent but you usually get a sense of place and people. I couldn't say that Beijing or its people really featured in the ceremony; it was just an impressive heaving mass of clones.

You're saying they all look the same?!

f.gif

• Like 1

Western Civilization shaped itself around is its own convulsions, be it political, artistic or scientific and we're very proud of that kind of chaos. East Asia is all about finding perfect balance. Maybe it's a western impression people have, that extreme synchronization and calculation of every detail looks soulless and, on a larger scale, totalitarian. Even Nagano '98 shows - obviously not on the same level as Beijing - was considered by some people to be boring and lacking of real, spontaneous emotion.

(why we're talking about this?)

CORRECTION: were considered

I suspect that the IOC and FIFA are going through a "learning cycle" about the need to chose their new frontiers more carefully. There's an inevitability to Qatar and Sochi - although I don't really have an issue with Russia 2018 since they've never hosted a WC before and their bid wasn't a total turkey like Qatar's.

Money does buy a spectacular ceremony - but it can be spectacularly soulless like Beijing. London was charming IMO, but not spectacular. I think the Industrial Rev segment was a spectacular moment in what was otherwise a charming and gentle ceremony.

Well said, And money DOES buy a spectacular ceremony. Of course -- for the enlightment of a certain 16-yr old who thinks he knows everything, $$ will buy the most spectacular effects and the creativity behind it -- unlike the misfires of Danny Boyle who knew very little about how to stage Stadium-theatre, altho like you, Tony E, thought he knew everything. ???