GB Member's Usernames.

the-omen-damien-crosses.jpg

Ha ha ha! Close but no cigar! :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to go by the name "Kendegra" when I signed up here years and years ago which was a portmanteau of the lady in my life and her car (Kendra drove an Acura Integra). I explained that one years ago when this subject was first raised. Sort of a silly choice, really, and people often thought it was female, which the base of it was. So when I got the chance to change it, I made it "Kenadian" to keep some of the old branding yet reflect my nationality (I'm from Canada). So if you thought my real name was Ken...you're wrong. :D

I used to go by the name "Kendegra" when I signed up here years and years ago which was a portmanteau of the lady in my life and her car (Kendra drove an Acura Integra). I explained that one years ago when this subject was first raised. Sort of a silly choice, really, and people often thought it was female, which the base of it was. So when I got the chance to change it, I made it "Kenadian" to keep some of the old branding yet reflect my nationality (I'm from Canada). So if you thought my real name was Ken...you're wrong. :D

i'm pretty sure you said you thought it would be a great name for a city, actually.

oh btw, my first screen name on aol was darkcrow. i wanted scarecrow but it was taken. when i came here, i edged it up a bit as a calculated marketing strategy to appeal to the coveted 18-25 youth demographic for primetime. i'd say it worked because i get pretty good ratings.

I graduted from the University of Pennsylvania in 2001. School mascot for the sports teams is the Quakers. hence, Quaker2001

I'm actually Quaker, in the religious sense.

I dated a UPenn class of '02 guy for a while - we went to grad school together.

Re: my handle, for realz, I've had the same online for years - since I was a freshman in college and maybe before, can't remember... it couldn't have been earlier than senior year of high school though. It's a oblique reference to imagery in some of my horrible, angst-ridden high school poetry. Meant to be ironic, when I had so much perspective on bad poetry, as an 18 year old. LOL

With a budget of 50 billion (nearly 4 times the cost of a SUMMER games) you'd want to hope the opening ceremony is the most amazing thing to happen in the history of the Olympics.

Then I guess it'll be the laughingstock of Olympic history too, if the opening turns out to be a real dud.

Wow guys, how did you all see the ceremony so early? I didn't even know they performed it yet!

My point is, not one of the people here can make judgements on something that hasn't happened yet.

Tony, there is a certain possibility it will top London, given how much money they're spending.

Stir.ts, there is a possibility that it will try too hard, and fail in the process.

So perhaps, for now, we can speculate and such, and not make such definitive statements about something we know nothing about. More IFs and less WILLs.

Its bound to top London in terms of spectacular, Putin will see to that. London wasn't meant to be a state sponsored power trip after all. It just leaves the question as to whether the whole thing in the end is a bit hollow... all style and no substance.

Its bound to top London in terms of spectacular, Putin will see to that. London wasn't meant to be a state sponsored power trip after all. It just leaves the question as to whether the whole thing in the end is a bit hollow... all style and no substance.

Money doesn't always mean it will be a more spectacular ceremony. It's about dedication, organisation and hard work. My London 2012 Ceremonies were brilliant.

Money doesn't always mean it will be a more spectacular ceremony. It's about dedication, organisation and hard work. My London 2012 Ceremonies were brilliant.

I loved it too... but a lot of people here didn't rate it highly at all, in fact there's still aspects about it that seems to piss people off lots. That's fine - that's personal taste.

I loved it too... but a lot of people here didn't rate it highly at all, in fact there's still aspects about it that seems to piss people off lots. That's fine - that's taste.

That is correct. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and see things in different light to others, I respect that, but what really annoys me is that Russia and the Middle East (not the public, the government), think they can buy everything. All they think about is money. I get it that the Olympics costs money, I get it that money is a big part in the economy etc, but it's not everything. These athletes don't buy there medals, they earn them with hard work, well most do. Russia and Qatar brought the World Cup's in my opinion. Abramovich played a part in it, and Russia is well known for corruption as much as the Middle East is.

I suspect that the IOC and FIFA are going through a "learning cycle" about the need to chose their new frontiers more carefully. There's an inevitability to Qatar and Sochi - although I don't really have an issue with Russia 2018 since they've never hosted a WC before and their bid wasn't a total turkey like Qatar's.

Money does buy a spectacular ceremony - but it can be spectacularly soulless like Beijing. London was charming IMO, but not spectacular. I think the Industrial Rev segment was a spectacular moment in what was otherwise a charming and gentle ceremony.

Money does buy a spectacular ceremony - but it can be spectacularly soulless like Beijing.

That one is a bit tough - the crowd inside the stadium was absolutely enthralled. The sense of pride was immense. The issue with the Beijing OC was that a lot of it was designed for the rest of the world - a big introduction to Chinese history. However certain segments - the calligraphy dance and the space sequence - were truly breathtaking and transcended the technology to be - just my opinion - quite touching.

Archived