The first (I think) Gamesbids CWG logo comp!

yoshi

Winnipeg_2022.png

This is my Official Entry for the Winnipeg 2022 Commonwealth Games Logo Competition. It is inspired by the wavey roof of the Investors Group Field in Winnipeg, with it coloured in Red as a National Colour of Canada. Also, to add something more, 22 Maple Leafs surround the Logo, representing the 22nd Commonwealth Games (XXII). The Motto is 'Respecting the Surroundings, meaning from The Maple LEAF as a Natural Surrounding. Constructive Feedback is welcomed (Good and where I can improve).

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@yoshi. Forgot to add CWG and more. I think my logo is slightly copied one.

The idea comes from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_law_of_Singapore.So don't count my work as an entry :P . Scotguy created very good logo.

Phoenix and a dancing man,maybe. I'm looking forward to see baron's logo B) .

Ok, I won't count it if you don't want it counted :). The chewing gum law is probably the most famous aspect of Singapore in the west :lol:

I don't want it counted.But I hope to draw a man and a gum ;) .

Never mind, I'm planning on starting a comp and I am working on something really really big...

It's very nice of you that you are starting a new comp! Maybe Dec-Feb on GB is the season of logo festival! B)

When I posted that last post, I had already made the graphical element of the logo, but I was having difficulty devising a word mark. Nonetheless, I've decided to leave that for later. For now, I present the Motto and of course the Logo. Placement of motto is far from final, I just needed to fit it into the one picture. :P

k0CtV2u.png

So, a bit about the logo and motto. I'll start with the motto.

Wales' official languages are Welsh and English. So, I decided to include the motto in two parts. English, and Welsh. In English, the motto "Here be dragons" alludes to the flag of wales, depicting a red dragon. Dragons are very strong and fearful creatures, just as I'm sure the Welsh would turn out to be during the Commonwealth games. Additionally, map makers in historical times would put "Here be dragons" on maps to signify uncharted areas. This ties into Wales as it is the much less known part of England, yet is still surprising in it's offerings.

The second motto means "Wales forever" and is actually the official motto of wales. I decided to have two different mottos in two different languages as a nod to facade of the Cardiff Millennium Center who's facade has two lines of poetry in both english and welsh. The second language also gives the motto and element of secrecy, and provides a "secret message" to the people of Wales, supporting them during the CWG. I hope that makes sense.

The logo came about from some research about the two major landmarks of Cardiff, The Millennium Center/Roald Dahl Plass and of course, as Tony's already used in his logo, the Millennium Stadium. Both magnificent buildings in their own right.

The connection the Millennium Stadium is immediately evident, the logo's shape mimics the supports of the stadium. The stadium would presumably be the venue of some sports.

The logo also takes on the appearance of the rings of an old tree, albeit much more angular. This is a reference to the age and wealth of history in Wales. A very intriguing place, trust me, I've been there. :)

The colors and multiple lines of the logo are a design element from the Millennium center again. Parts of the Millennium center are made of layered slate brought from around Wales, which this logo references. The blue in the center references both the windows in the millennium center and of course Cardiff Bay. Traditionally Cardiff Bay has been a very important location in the city, for shipping. The way the logo revolves around the blue references this fact. Additionally it could be said that the logo is the coming together of nations and such in peace, as sports tend to do. Yadda yadda.

I hope you enjoy the logo. It's not quite done yet, and I welcome feedback, I probably need it. :P

Oh, and now that I look at it, the outer brown color could represent skin, the lighter pink represents flesh, and then the blue represents a crystal strong heart.

When I posted that last post, I had already made the graphical element of the logo, but I was having difficulty devising a word mark. Nonetheless, I've decided to leave that for later. For now, I present the Motto and of course the Logo. Placement of motto is far from final, I just needed to fit it into the one picture. :P

k0CtV2u.png

So, a bit about the logo and motto. I'll start with the motto.

Wales' official languages are Welsh and English. So, I decided to include the motto in two parts. English, and Welsh. In English, the motto "Here be dragons" alludes to the flag of wales, depicting a red dragon. Dragons are very strong and fearful creatures, just as I'm sure the Welsh would turn out to be during the Commonwealth games. Additionally, map makers in historical times would put "Here be dragons" on maps to signify uncharted areas. This ties into Wales as it is the much less known part of England, yet is still surprising in it's offerings.

The second motto means "Wales forever" and is actually the official motto of wales. I decided to have two different mottos in two different languages as a nod to facade of the Cardiff Millennium Center who's facade has two lines of poetry in both english and welsh. The second language also gives the motto and element of secrecy, and provides a "secret message" to the people of Wales, supporting them during the CWG. I hope that makes sense.

The logo came about from some research about the two major landmarks of Cardiff, The Millennium Center/Roald Dahl Plass and of course, as Tony's already used in his logo, the Millennium Stadium. Both magnificent buildings in their own right.

The connection the Millennium Stadium is immediately evident, the logo's shape mimics the supports of the stadium. The stadium would presumably be the venue of some sports.

The logo also takes on the appearance of the rings of an old tree, albeit much more angular. This is a reference to the age and wealth of history in Wales. A very intriguing place, trust me, I've been there. :)

The colors and multiple lines of the logo are a design element from the Millennium center again. Parts of the Millennium center are made of layered slate brought from around Wales, which this logo references. The blue in the center references both the windows in the millennium center and of course Cardiff Bay. Traditionally Cardiff Bay has been a very important location in the city, for shipping. The way the logo revolves around the blue references this fact. Additionally it could be said that the logo is the coming together of nations and such in peace, as sports tend to do. Yadda yadda.

I hope you enjoy the logo. It's not quite done yet, and I welcome feedback, I probably need it. :P

Oh, and now that I look at it, the outer brown color could represent skin, the lighter pink represents flesh, and then the blue represents a crystal strong heart.

Ok. I will do 1 Good, 1 where to improve and 1 Good - 1 Good = Love the way you made the Motto blend with the actual logo - Improve = Bit more colour, I understand you haven't finished yet though - 1 Good = Inspiration from known Landmarks. Also just to add in, Millennium Stadium would deffiently be a Venue if Cardiff Hosted the Games, much Like Glasgow 2014 with Hampden Park. I recon the Millennium Stadium would host the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, also a temporary Running Track for Athletics (Like Hampden Park), and maybe some of the Rugby.

Also Yoshi, I've made 4 Logos already, I will be making one for Canberra, and maybe Abuja and Wellington.

Canberra_2022.png

This is my Official Logo Entry for the Canberra 2022 Commonwealth Games Logo Competition. The Logo is inspired by the Letter 'C' in the name Canberra, with the Colours Yellow, Blue and White (The Background Colour), the Colours of the Canberra Flag. The Motto is inspired by how Sport and Life should be, 'Live to Respect and Succeed.

Remember, you don't have to enter all 7 cities (unless you want to of course) There's still loads of time, until the end of the Sochi Games, for anyone else to enter, or for anyone who already has a logo in to enter for other cities :) BTW, voting may start on the 25th Feb, so I can organise it all on the 24th.

Archived