The first (I think) Gamesbids CWG logo comp!

yoshi

Welcome, one & all, to what I think is the first ever Gamesbids Commonwealth Games logo design competition!

We have a lot of talent here on our boards, & I thought it would be fun to give you a slightly different challenge to take on. I must give credit to Sir Rols, the current king of comp organising, who's given me his blessing to tread on his patch :P. Now, I know that a lot of people on here, including our current SOG logo champ, Danny, aren't in the Commonwealth, so may be unfamiliar with the so-called 'Friendly Games'. This is for you: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_Games

So, I said the format would be a change, & here, you have a choice of 7 Commonwealth cities to make a logo for, & you can make a logo for as few or as many of them as you want, here they are, the cities:

Wellington, New Zealand

After Auckland twice & Christchurch once, NZ's capital wants its CWG chance at last.

Canberra, Australia

The Aussie capital wants to shed its image of a stuffy political city, what better than CWG to do it?

Abuja, Nigeria

It's Africa, but not South Africa. Abuja wants our help to design a less awful logo than its 2014 bid.

Singapore, umm...Singapore

It's going to happen eventually, but how would you brand a Singapore CWGs?

Bristol, England

The under-known southwest of England is looking to show itself, but how would you represent it?

Cardiff, Wales

Another near-inevitable future host of the CWG, but how would you show Wales to the world?

Winnipeg, Canada

AFAIK, the prairie provinces have never bid, but how would you show that they're more than wheat?

So, they're the magnificent 7, feel free to do whatever you like, as I say, we have some amazing talent here, I'm sure we'll see some incredible submissions.

THE RULES

You can enter only one logo for each city.

You may enter a logo for as many of the cities as you like, just 1 or all 7, it's up to you.

You have until the end of the Sochi WOG to submit, the deadline is the 23rd February, with voting starting on the 24th. So plenty of time for you to get involved.

When the voting begins, all logos will be up against each other, in a Eurovision-style vote, which will be open for 1 week. More details on that when it starts.

So, I think that's everything, all that's left is to say good luck, & may the best logo win! :)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's fine Palette, as I say, you (anyone who wants to take part) can pick 1, 2, 3, whatever, right up to all 7 cities, to design a logo for. There's plenty of time, & every logo I get will go straight into voting on Feb 24th :)

Spent all day on this haha. (yeah pretty embarrassing this is the best I could do)

Anyway the basic part is the marina bay sands hotel with the 3 hotels being combined by the large ship on top. If you haven't heard of it before you have to google it, it is stunning and the infinity pool on top is amazing! In the first hotel there is the Singaporean flag. In the second hotel is the lion head which is an alternative national symbol of Singapore (thank you wikipedia). And the third hotel contains Sinapores national flower the "Vanda "Miss Joaquim"". I also drew th CGF logo.

Everyone was drawn by me and not pasted from the internet.

VandaMissJoaquim_zpscc23c600.jpg

scde_zps9534d5d6.png

Morning all, some new entries here, keep'em coming :). 2022 was going to be the year, I see that's been decided democratically though :P

@LD, this is a games logo comp, just like our Olympic ones, but Darwin 2026 doesn't really fit :( Why not have a go at some of the cities though, you'll come up with a good logo I'm sure :)

BTW, I'm not taking part, as Rols doesn't in his logo comps.

Sorry! I just assumed it was 2022 cause it is the next games to have a bid announced haha.

I've been mistaken. I thought we all had to select city or cities first. I don't think I can create these 3 logos or even 1 logo. I'll be a spectator this time :P .

The first post says a choice between 7 cities :)

Wellington

Canberra

Abuja

Singapore

Bristol

Cardiff

Winnipeg

Yup, you can choose only 1, go crazy & do all 7, or anything in between. If you want to keep it real, like Rols's comps, pick any 2. It's all up to you, & everything goes into the vote. And thanks Darcy for bumping the list of cities :)

When I think Bristol I think of the Balloon Festival and the Clifton Suspension Bridge, as there is a bridge in the running already I went with the balloons.

sgc4.jpg

Sorry Davey. I must admit, I'm not good a drawing, so I took the easy option. Good luck everyone.

Spent all day on this haha. (yeah pretty embarrassing this is the best I could do)

Anyway the basic part is the marina bay sands hotel with the 3 hotels being combined by the large ship on top. If you haven't heard of it before you have to google it, it is stunning and the infinity pool on top is amazing! In the first hotel there is the Singaporean flag. In the second hotel is the lion head which is an alternative national symbol of Singapore (thank you wikipedia). And the third hotel contains Sinapores national flower the "Vanda "Miss Joaquim"". I also drew th CGF logo.

Everyone was drawn by me and not pasted from the internet.

VandaMissJoaquim_zpscc23c600.jpg

scde_zps9534d5d6.png

Nice Logo Darcy! Good luck.

Archived