Your country's Olympic Mount Rushmore

Gangwon

Make a Mount Rushmore out of your country's Olympians. Pick 4 Olympians who would be immortalized on a mountain. The criteria is they have to have won a medal for your country. So by that criteria, Wayne Gretzky cannot be on Canada's Mount Rushmore. It's up to you whether you want to include someone who is culturally significant to your country, but without having contributed as much as others to the Olympic movement. For example, someone like Michael Jordan.

Canada's Summer Olympic Mount Rushmore

George Hodgson - won Canada's first ever swimming golds in 1912, in the 400m and 1500m freestyle

Percy Williams - gold in 1928 in athletics 100m, greatest Canadian Olympian of the first half century

Marnie McBean - 3-time gold medalist in rowing in 1992 and 1996

Donovan Bailey - gold in 1996 in athletics 100m, the greatest Canadian Olympian of all time

Canada's Winter Olympic Mount Rushmore

Barbara Ann Scott - won Canada's first non-hockey winter gold in figure skating 1948, "Canada's Sweetheart"

Nancy Greene - won Canada's first alpine skiing gold in 1968

Mario Lemieux - captained the hockey team to its first gold in 50 years in 2002

Cindy Klassen - all-time Canadian medal record holder with six medals in 2002 and 2006, all in winter

Honorable mentions to George Orton (Canada's first gold medalist in 1900), Clara Hughes (6-time medalist, the only one to win in both summer and winter, and over 4 Olympics!), Alex Bilodeau (first Canadian to win gold on home soil in 2010).

You forget others like Alex Baumann (two gold, two world records), Gaetan Boucher (2 gold, 4 medals) and Marc Gagnon (5 medals, 3 gold) and even Charles Hamelin with the right performance in Sochi. And Marnie would be nothing without Kathleen. Also a gold medal in women's hockey would see two rise to the top as Canada's only 4 time Olympic Champions.

Nice question Gangwon. At first I got mixed up and thought this was a Sochi thread and that you meant winter medallists. In which case I was going to say by the time you took "Aussie" Dale Begg-Smith out of the equation, it's easy for us - Steven Bradbury, Alisa Camplin, Torah Bright and Lydia Lassila.

All time makes it an interesting debate though. I'd say:

* Dawn Fraser is a must

* Cathy Freeman is a must

* Betty Cuthbert

* Kieren Perkins

Among other possibilities, I'd say Ian Thorpe has never really been affectionately embraced here as others, Ron Clarke would be a contender yet is still "the greatest Aussie Olympic athlete never to gave won gold", Shane Gould withdrew from the public spotlight and attention, and it's hard to think of any athlete outside swimming and track who would win the country's affection or regard as much.

That's the beauty of it, you can only pick 4. I'll even condense it further, and combine the summer and winter:

Canada's Olympic Mount Rushmore

Percy Williams (1928 athletics)

Barbara Ann Scott (1948 figure skating)

Nancy Greene (1968 skiing)

Donovan Bailey (1996 athletics)

This takes care of 4 different generations too.

-Edwin "Teddy" Flack - first Australian gold medalist at Athens 1896. (Athletics)

-Dawn Fraser - four golds, Melbourne 1956, Rome 1960, Tokyo 1964 - and tireless advocate of Australian amateur sport since then. (Swimming)

-Cathy Freeman - one of the great female T&F stars of the 90s (Barcelona, Atlanta, Sydney), lit the cauldron in 2000 and won gold/world record in the 400m later in those Games. (Athletics)

-Ian Thorpe - now in the shadow of Michael Phelps, Thorpe was an extraordinary athlete in the pool, and contributed to Australia's hugely successful haul at Sydney 2000 and Athens 2004.

Honourable mentions to Steven Bradbury, and his iconic gold medal at Salt Lake City 2002 (speed skating), Shane Gould (swimming, 1972), Kieran Perkins (swimming - 1992, 1996) and Peter Norman (athletics, 1968).

I was trying to think of some of the older heritage medallists. As well as the ones you mentioned like Flack and Norman, I also mused Boy Charlton. It's hard though, when their names are not household names any more. But yes, any Aussie Olympic Mt Rushmore would have to include some of our pioneering greats.

USA Mount Rushmore of Olympians

Michael Phelps Swimming-22 medals 18 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze

Carl Lewis-Track& Field 10 Medals 9 Gold, 1 silver

Apolo Ohno Short Track Speed skating 8 medals 2 gold, 2 silver, 4 Bronze

Jenny Thompson Swimming-12 medals 8 gold, 3 silver, 1 bronze

And leave out Jesse Owens??????

Scottish Mount Rushmore of Olympians

Sir Chris Hoy - 2004, 2008, 2012 Cycling Gold Medalist

Andy Murray - 2012 Tennis Gold Medalist

Alan Wells - 1980 100m Gold Medalist

Shirley Robinson - 2000, 2004 - Sailing Gold Medalist

For Germany, maybe a mix of Winter/Summer, Male/Female and reflecting the decades of separate teams:

Carl Schuhmann - 4 golds in Athens 1896

Ulrike Meyfarth - high jump gold 1972 and 1984, icon of the Munich games

Katarina Witt - figure skating gold 1984 and 1988, East Germany's darling

Markus Wasmeier - double gold in Lillehammer or Georg Hackl, 3 gold 2 silver in Luge 1988 - 2002

Nice question Gangwon. At first I got mixed up and thought this was a Sochi thread and that you meant winter medallists. In which case I was going to say by the time you took "Aussie" Dale Begg-Smith out of the equation, it's easy for us - Steven Bradbury, Alisa Camplin, Torah Bright and Lydia Lassila.

All time makes it an interesting debate though. I'd say:

* Dawn Fraser is a must

* Cathy Freeman is a must

* Betty Cuthbert

* Kieren Perkins

Among other possibilities, I'd say Ian Thorpe has never really been affectionately embraced here as others, Ron Clarke would be a contender yet is still "the greatest Aussie Olympic athlete never to gave won gold", Shane Gould withdrew from the public spotlight and attention, and it's hard to think of any athlete outside swimming and track who would win the country's affection or regard as much.

I must disagree

Dawn Fraser

Cathy Freeman

Ian Thorpe

Libby Trickett

Well the last one i'm sure would be disputed. I personally loved Libby Trickett. Dawn Fraser definitely one of our olympic highlights same with Cathy Freeman.

Ian Thorpe was an amazing athlete. Confused as to why you think Kieren Perkins should be up there? I'd even put Grant Hackett above him.

Awesome, I just learned about Dawn Fraser and Cathy Freeman. It's cool learning about what each country values, and who shaped the country.

I'm guessing you wanted to include both winter/summer? I didn't even expect Ohno but that's a good choice.

Nah.

I'd put:

- Greg Louganis

- Jim Thorpe

- Mary Decker

- Tonya Harding, the Bad Girl of Figure Skating!!

This is a good topic

For me (New Zealand) I think

Peter Snell 3 Gold Medals (Athletics 1960-1964)

Jack Lovelock 1 Gold Medal (Athletics 1936)

Ian Ferguson 4 Gold Medals, 1 Sliver (Canoeing 1976-1992)

Mark Todd 2 Gold, 3 Bronze (Equestrian 1984-2000, 2008-2013)

Reserve:

Barbara Kendall 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze (Sailing 1992-2008)

Yvette Williams 1 Gold (Athletics 1952)

Tough to do one for the United States because there are so many choices, both Winter and Summer. Hard to get it down to 4 (and I appreciate a Canadian starting this thread based on referencing a famous American monument) I have a feeling if you polled 100 Americans, no 2 people would have the same list. Here's mine..

SUMMER (you could fill about 4 Mount Rushmores with the number of famous American Olympians there have been)

Jesse Owens

Michael Phelps

Mary Lou Retton

Carl Lewis

(** - I wanted to put Greg Louganis in to have all 4 of the big sports represented, but I can't justify him over Lewis or Mary Lou)

WINTER

Eric Heiden

Bonnie Blair

Dick Button

Peggy Fleming

(** - I thought about Ohno, but didn't think there should be 3 speed skaters on here.. maybe in time his legend will grow)

Archived