Figure Skating

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Each country will need to select one member/pair from each discipline (but the choice is made for those who only have one in a discipline). The 10 countries qualified will do the short program/original dance. The top 5 teams will progress to the next round and do the long program/free dance where substitutions are allowed but they must announce within 10 minutes after the conclusion of the first round if they intend to do so.

The scoring works like this: the first place in each discipline gets 10 points, second gets 9 all the way down to tenth getting 1. Scores do not carry over.

I'm confused. You mean the team members have to perform their exact same routines twice at the Olympics? Why don't they just add up the scores from their individual/pair skates and award another medal at the end? Sounds like a waste of time and resources.

Added figure skating sessions equal more ticket revenue.

So max score is 80?

So thinking it out for Canada, men's probably between 18 and 20 points, women's 12 points, pairs 16 and ice dance 18 to 20? So Canada's hopes really depend on if Osmond can get into the free skate? So it is going to come down to if Osmond or an American pair finishes in the top 5 in the short?

Added figure skating sessions equal more ticket revenue.

So max score is 80?

So thinking it out for Canada, men's probably between 18 and 20 points, women's 12 points, pairs 16 and ice dance 18 to 20? So Canada's hopes really depend on if Osmond can get into the free skate? So it is going to come down to if Osmond or an American pair finishes in the top 5 in the short?

I'm not sure tbh. At the World trophy earlier this year each athlete got points once (but there was two in each event per country and only 6 teams). At the Olympics there is 10 teams and only 5 can move on so score should be 80.

The top 5 teams overall move on and with Canada's depth in the other three event Osmond is almost certain of being in the free skate.

I'm not sure tbh. At the World trophy earlier this year each athlete got points once (but there was two in each event per country and only 6 teams). At the Olympics there is 10 teams and only 5 can move on so score should be 80.

The top 5 teams overall move on and with Canada's depth in the other three event Osmond is almost certain of being in the free skate.

I just asked based on the previous world championships. You can assume that Japan, USA, Italy and Russia will have their skater move on to the free skate, but it would be between Canada and China for the 5th spot.

Or do you mean, that after the 4 short programs, the 5 teams with the highest combined score will have their skaters move on to the long program?

I just asked based on the previous world championships. You can assume that Japan, USA, Italy and Russia will have their skater move on to the free skate, but it would be between Canada and China for the 5th spot. Or do you mean, that after the 4 short programs, the 5 teams with the highest combined score will have their skaters move on to the long program?

I guess it will be the highest combined score, otherwise if 5 teams advance, they would have to be the same top 5 in each individual event too. Very unlikely to happen, but I don't get the addition of that particular event anyway.

I'm confused. You mean the team members have to perform their exact same routines twice at the Olympics? Why don't they just add up the scores from their individual/pair skates and award another medal at the end? Sounds like a waste of time and resources.

A lot of people have said this - will it affect their performances at the non-team competition, etc. Theoretically if you are in top condition, you should be able to do your programs several times in a week. However, with the mental toughness issues figure skaters experience... it's a can of worms. I don't know how it will go over. Plus you have someone from a teeny fed like Yu-Na - she'll essentially get a bye from this event and not have to skate it, whereas the top skaters from the big feds will be called upon to skate this. Nice for her, huh?

Honestly, I would have rather them add synchronized skating instead of a team medal. It's a lot of fun to watch. I think the team medal is going to bomb.

Kinda dumb addition -- or was it added just so Plushenko could skate??

LOL. Cinquanto has been wanting to have this competition for a looooooooong time. It's his pet project. Well, Plushenko's idea was not kosher anyway - you are only allowed to use your Olympic team to skate. They can't bring him in just for the team event. Well, not unless they say he's their man and then he magically is injured, has mental breakdown, whatever, before the men's event.

A lot of people have said this - will it affect their performances at the non-team competition, etc. Theoretically if you are in top condition, you should be able to do your programs several times in a week. However, with the mental toughness issues figure skaters experience... it's a can of worms. I don't know how it will go over. Plus you have someone from a teeny fed like Yu-Na - she'll essentially get a bye from this event and not have to skate it, whereas the top skaters from the big feds will be called upon to skate this. Nice for her, huh?

Honestly, I would have rather them add synchronized skating instead of a team medal. It's a lot of fun to watch. I think the team medal is going to bomb.

I feel like this is a case of expansion simply for the sake of expansion. Like the Youth Olympic Games. I'm not sure of their reasoning that this will encourage nations to develop all areas of skating. You can already win a medal in men's, ladies, pairs etc. how is one more medal going to encourage nations any more so than already being done?

I feel like this is a case of expansion simply for the sake of expansion. Like the Youth Olympic Games. I'm not sure of their reasoning that this will encourage nations to develop all areas of skating. You can already win a medal in men's, ladies, pairs etc. how is one more medal going to encourage nations any more so than already being done?

Because two countries develop certain disciplines to the determimant of the other disciplines. It will encourage Japan and China to develope pairs and ice dance in Japan's case and everything but pairs in China's case. It provides additional sessions for one of the most popular sports and honestly from almost everything I've read the skaters love it.

So intoronto. Because say 2nd men's, pairs and dancers would be able to be in the top five would they compete or will it be the best skater for both?

Because two countries develop certain disciplines to the determimant of the other disciplines. It will encourage Japan and China to develope pairs and ice dance in Japan's case and everything but pairs in China's case. It provides additional sessions for one of the most popular sports and honestly from almost everything I've read the skaters love it.

So intoronto. Because say 2nd men's, pairs and dancers would be able to be in the top five would they compete or will it be the best skater for both?

They need to choose (the country that is) on Feb 6 and then 10 mins after the short program if they want to sub.

Just seems like Canada should potentially have 11 people on the podium, which seems odd.

10. You can't switch more than 2 skaters / pairs between the short or the long. So every team on the podium will have between 6 and 10 medallists.

So, for the top five I have Canada, USA, Russia, Japan, and then France or maybe Italy. I don't think UIkraine, Great Britain, or China has any chance, and Germany probably has a small chance.

I know I am in the minority, but I think the U.S. takes the gold over Canada in the Team event. U.S. may not be very strong but have the depth to beat Canada.

Russian federation nominates Plushenko for Sochi

MOSCOW (AP) — Evgeny Plushenko was nominated by Russia's figure skating federation on Wednesday as the country's sole entry in the men's event at the Sochi Olympics.

Plushenko, whose three Olympic medals include the 2006 gold, is one of the leading skaters of the past 15 years, but his participation in Sochi had been in doubt due to injury and a second-place finish in the Russian nationals. Since back surgery last spring, he's skated in only one international event, a second-tier competition in Latvia.

The federation's brief statement came one day after Plushenko skated behind closed doors for judges to assess his readiness.

He still needs to be approved by the Russian Olympic Committee and Sports Ministry.

The federation named Maxim Kovtun and Sergei Voronov as reserves for Plushenko. Kovtun won gold in the Russian nationals, but placed only fifth in the European Championships last weekend, and many regarded him as having insufficient experience for the Olympics. Voronov was the silver medallist at the Europeans but has only one other silver and two bronzes in top-tier international events since 2007.

Plushenko won silver at the 2002 Salt Lake City Games and 2010 Vancouver Games.

AP

http://wintergames.ap.org/article/russian-federation-nominates-plushenko-sochi

Well, if they're going to fall flat on their faces with Dame Evgeny, it might as well be in a big way. I mean he already practiced for the Sour Grapes Cup in 2010. Now, it's their party and he can cry all he wants!! But really, Kotun took himself out of contention with a 5th place finish in Euros. And EP will be coming in as the eminence gris of the men's event. He might actually just get a bronze for sentimentality's sakes. It's now up to the ISU if they want to cut him (and the hosts) some slack.

Archived