Figure Skating

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, the Russians have been over-scored during the entire Olympics. It didn't really matter during the team event and pairs because they deserved to win anyway but this one doesn't smell good.

People will have to look at the protocols in depth to see the amount of +GOE overscoring, but there is no way that Adelina and Lipnitskaia should be receiving the sorts of component scores they have been getting. Lipnitskaia with higher component scores than Mao Asada?! Um....just, no. There has been overscoring of these Russians all season, but it's rocked up just since Europeans. The order of finish as I believe it should have been:

1-Kim

2-Kostner

3-Sotnikova

4- Gold

5-Asada

6-Lipnit

7-Wagner

I don't have an issue with the placements of the US ladies, but comparatively speaking, their components were held down in the markings.

At the 1998 Nagano Games, suspicious Canadian judge Jean Senft recorded a phone conversation with Yuri Balkov, a Ukrainian judge who asked Senft to vote for Ukrainian skaters in exchange for Balkov backing Canada’s ice-dance darlings Shae-Lynn Bourne and Victor Kraatz. She handed the evidence to the International Skating Union, which suspended Balkov – for only a year.
This guy was a judge for the women's final.
Alla SHEKHOVTSEVA was also a judge from Russia:
Did the Russian judge really, all of a sudden, decide that the favored French couple deserved first place in the compulsories Friday night? A mere month ago, Alla Shekhovtseva rated the favored French dancers third among a much smaller field at the European championships.
On Friday, the beginning of three nights of Olympic ice-dancing competition,
Shekhovtseva fell into line with most of the other judges, putting Marina Anissina and Gwendal Peizerat on top.
Was her vote legitimate, or was it the consummation of a deal with French judge Marie-Reine Le Gougne, now banished for her role in sullying the pairs skating competition?

Adriana DOMANSKA was also a judge and she was from Russia

I ain't letting bullshit judging in f-cking figure skating (with 3 of the 5 events being easily agreable, 1 being a difference of artistic opinion and 1 being utter bullsh!t) ruin an otherwise interesting Olympics.

Sochi is behind the previous 3 but oh well. Hopefully Korea does a wonderful job.

Not surprisingly, the figure skating website forums are exploding. Except for a few scattered, bold Russians (most of whom seem to be laying low), nearly everybody else thinks the ladies' competition was a travesty, and that it was apparent in the short program that Russian skaters were being favorably for the long program. Also that Yuna Kim seemed to come to Sochi knowing that she could not win in Russia.

...being favorably positioned for the long program.

Katerina Witt wasn't commentating the ladies free program live on German TV - she was in another studio and was interviewed in the breaks...

I didn't hear her comment about the decision between GOLD and SILVER - the live commentator (a German figure skater) said before he saw the points, that he would be "outraged" if the South Korean skater didn't win....

On twitter some people say that they believe that this GOLD was a kind of substitute for the ice hockey disaster...

^^ And Twitter is about the closest thing we'll have to a legitimate press. I don't suspect any journalist has the balls to question the judging as long as they're in Sochi. Not if they value their life.

And that's my final word on this topic before I sound out.

Geez. You know nothing of her story do you?

I do; but if you don't deliver on the 2 nites; then NOTHING else in the world matters, does it? Even if your daddy was the richest man in the world.

Adelina got an extra boost becuz it's in her homeland. "Home field/Ice" always gives you a few extra points.

Yuna's program and attire were too somber. There was a disconnect with her choice of music and her outfit. She picked an Argentine "tango" -- therefore she should've at least tried to look sultry...NOT some "nun" in black. Adelina was a spitfire and a ball of energy in her CARMEN. Therefore, she deserved the edge. (I didn't get to see Carolina's number; will see that later tonight.)

Adelina and young Yulia will be formidable in the next few years. Our Gracie and Polina will have their work cut out for them in this next quadrennium.

It's been a few hours, so I've had a chance to reflect. Since this forum is about the closest I'll ever get to addressing the Olympic world:

To the ISU: I've lost all confidence in your ability to organize a credible tournament. You know it's gone bad when I could predict from the very beginning of the Games that you would f*ck up the ladies' event. The signs were all there.

To the IOC: I've lost all confidence in your ability to endorse a credible tournament.

Somehow I no longer give a rat's ass about your pathetic Games, even though the next one happens to be in Korea.

I do; but if you don't deliver on the 2 nites; then NOTHING else in the world matters, does it? Even if your daddy was the richest man in the world.

Adelina got an extra boost becuz it's in her homeland. "Home field/Ice" always gives you a few extra points.

Yuna's program and attire were too somber. There was a disconnect with her choice of music and her outfit. She picked an Argentine "tango" -- therefore she should've at least tried to look sultry...NOT some "nun" in black. Adelina was a spitfire and a ball of energy in her CARMEN. Therefore, she deserved the edge. (I didn't get to see Carolina's number; will see that later tonight.)

Adelina and young Yulia will be formidable in the next few years. Our Gracie and Polina will have their work cut out for them in this next quadrennium.

Mao's short was an uncharacteristic disaster. She has worked so hard for so long that it's reasonable to feel badly for her when it all unravels bizarrely at her final Olympics. Her long showed just how unrepresentative her short program was. No one is saying she didn't deserve low marks -- we're saying it's tragic.

You saying that you don't feel bad for her because Hanyu won gold is not only callous, it's practically a non-sequitur.

As for you defending Sotnikova -- that shows me how little you understand. If you'd argued she deserved to win based on the technical remark, perhaps I would've had some respect (though I disagree), but because Yuna's costume was "too somber"? Geez. You really only care about fluff, don't you?

Correction: technical mark.

At the 1998 Nagano Games, suspicious Canadian judge Jean Senft recorded a phone conversation with Yuri Balkov, a Ukrainian judge who asked Senft to vote for Ukrainian skaters in exchange for Balkov backing Canada’s ice-dance darlings Shae-Lynn Bourne and Victor Kraatz. She handed the evidence to the International Skating Union, which suspended Balkov – for only a year.
This guy was a judge for the women's final.
Alla SHEKHOVTSEVA was also a judge from Russia:
Did the Russian judge really, all of a sudden, decide that the favored French couple deserved first place in the compulsories Friday night? A mere month ago, Alla Shekhovtseva rated the favored French dancers third among a much smaller field at the European championships.
On Friday, the beginning of three nights of Olympic ice-dancing competition,
Shekhovtseva fell into line with most of the other judges, putting Marina Anissina and Gwendal Peizerat on top.
Was her vote legitimate, or was it the consummation of a deal with French judge Marie-Reine Le Gougne, now banished for her role in sullying the pairs skating competition?

Adriana DOMANSKA was also a judge and she was from Russia

Christine Brennan of USA Today tweeted that Alla SHEKHOVTSEVA is also married to Valentin Piseev president of Russian Figure Skating Association. The judges represented the following countries: Germany, Ukraine, Italy, Estonia, Japan, Russia, France, Canada, Slovakia.

Mao's short was an uncharacteristic disaster. She has worked so hard for so long that it's reasonable to feel badly for her when it all unravels bizarrely at her final Olympics. Her long showed just how unrepresentative her short program was. No one is saying she didn't deserve low marks -- we're saying it's tragic.

You saying that you don't feel bad for her because Hanyu won gold is not only callous, it's practically a non-sequitur.

As for you defending Sotnikova -- that shows me how little you understand. If you'd argued she deserved to win based on the technical remark, perhaps I would've had some respect (though I disagree), but because Yuna's costume was "too somber"? Geez. You really only care about fluff, don't you?

Correction: technical mark.

SCREW YOU!! And what makes you an expert? :lol::lol:

It's been a few hours, so I've had a chance to reflect. Since this forum is about the closest I'll ever get to addressing the Olympic world:

To the ISU: I've lost all confidence in your ability to organize a credible tournament. You know it's gone bad when I could predict from the very beginning of the Games that you would f*ck up the ladies' event. The signs were all there.

To the IOC: I've lost all confidence in your ability to endorse a credible tournament.

Somehow I no longer give a rat's ass about your pathetic Games, even though the next one happens to be in Korea.

Oh my...I can understand your frustration right now.

But figure skating was always prone to at least questionable judging, this is only the latest in a string of events over the decades. The sad thing is that the scoring system was changed to make it more objective but these things still happen.

If only there was a way for really neutral and objective judging...but as long as humans with all their weaknesses are involved...

I just heard what Katerina Witt said - she said that this result isn't explainable. Yes she did a threeturn jump less, therefore it is o.k. that the South Korean figure skater got less in the technical points but the the artistic points are questionable - and seh is a little bit annoyed about the result

Archived