Figure Skating

i just can't get past the fact the Russian's and American's scores were inflated, while Virtue and Moir's were deflated. They had the best skate of their season and finish with a worse score. Doesn't make too much sense to me. It appears hundreds agree. The ISU needs to investigate these claims and prove them incorrect/correct.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just can't get past the fact the Russian's and American's scores were inflated, while Virtue and Moir's were deflated. They had the best skate of their season and finish with a worse score. Doesn't make too much sense to me. It appears hundreds agree. The ISU needs to investigate these claims and prove them incorrect/correct.

There is no basis for these claims. None.

"“It’s the compulsory set dance. So it’s a 36-second segment where all the skaters have to do the same step in the same hold and they judge six specific (factors) very crucially. And it’s worth a lot of points. That’s where you make it or break it in this dance.”

Basically, all the couples have to do the same pattern. The “caller” — that’s the technical panel — determines the level achieved and the judges score how well it’s done.

That alone, on the detailed results sheet, cost the Canadians two huge points because the Finnstep was knocked down to a Level 3.

That step is named for its inventors, Finn ice dancers Petri Kokko and Susanna Rahkamo. This is what Kokko tweeted Sunday night, and he oughta know. “I don’t understand the judging in #icedancing. @Virtue_Moir should be leading in my honest opinion.”

He also opined that the Americans’ timing was off in the Finnstep. Yet they set a world record?"

Source

So which of those technical analysis do you disagree with? Meryl and Charlie constantly getting credit for incorrect edges, and at GPF some judges gave them perfect marks for their completely 180 degrees out of sync elements. It's not just 'someone' that disagrees with the scoring this time, it's pretty much the majority of the ice dance watchers including those outside of Canada/USA including past champions and coaches from other countries.

I haven't watched Moir/Virtue nor White/Davis, and I don't profess to follow ice dance, so all I can't comment on ice dance. But I can comment on ladies skating, and I know Julia Lipnitskaia sure as hell didn't earn that disgracefully high score at the team event. The way her score has skyrocketed from the Grand Prix to the European Championships to the latest team event within a matter of a couple months conveniently right before the Sochi Olympics is unprecedented, and it sure as **** ain't due to drastic improvement. She was good, but she wasn't 73+141=214 good.

I'm glad I got to watch her team skate just yesterday. I think watching her team skate live or on the day of would've pissed me off even more.

Calling BS on that Russian score. They were not 6 points better than the French.

well ... for me the black swan is much more higher then usa and canada. but lower points from yesterday and a small bad luck while twisting leads only to bronze...so we have usa got the gold and canada silver...

While I am not unhappy with the results, NOTHING has really changed in Figure Skating. The placements still hold; and a lower ranked couple/skater still cannot break through to the top. I thought one of the reasons for creating a whole new scoring system was to make it easier for the lower candidates to easily brreak thru in the final rounds. It only happens if the frontrunners stumble -- but otherwise nothing else has changed.

So, again like FIFA and the IOC, the ISU is all talk but insincere and disingenuous in their pronouncements. It's such a dishonest world.

^^ As long as the placements are correct, the scores don't matter. The scores only matter when you have two comparables yet the visibly inferior performance is placed ahead of the more superior performance. Hasn't happened yet to any large degree, but it's wrong to say the scores can't be measured objectively, insofar as getting the right placement.

That's a matter of opinion. I don't like V&M's choreography as well and I don't feel their execution is quite as solid.

Regardless, I think all parties can agree that both pairs are CLEARLY at theropod their field and deciding between them is a matter of very small margins.

There is no case for corruption.

Correction: at the top of their field.

Swan lake was just stunning!!!

My problem with Swan Lake is that it is primarily a woman's ballet -- and it is a stage performance, rather than a ballroom dance. The man's part just seems so forced. And it's like, this is already the 21st century and those Russians are still doing those 'heavy' overly-theatrical, 19th century numbers?? Come on, move on already.

But with the top 2 pairs retiring from competitive skating; I am really looking forward to the #2 couples from the US, Canada and Muddahfacker Russia!! I think the Ruskies may grab the gold in the World Champs at Chiba next month.

The Daily Jeremy

-from this angle the audience may not have noticed jeremy's unplanned changes to the quad, however the judges are so keenly aware of the minutia of scoring and technique that this certainly may have affected their technical marks.

jeremy-abbott-land-rib.jpg

The Daily Jeremy

-from this angle the audience may not have noticed jeremy's unplanned changes to the quad, however the judges are so keenly aware of the minutia of scoring and technique that this certainly may have affected their technical marks.

Paul, kinda getting old. Kicking a guy when he's down & out. Tsk, tsk.

Archived