Figure Skating

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they should just junk this stupid Team Event. Other than half-selling out the stadia anyway, it's just adds more schemes, plots and drama. Get rid of it.

Maybe they just did a one off to give the Russians a relatively secure gold and skip it again for PC..

There's zero proof. It's the FRENCH reporting it. AND Russia is going to win the pairs and team event anyway just like Davis and White seem pretty sure for ice dancing gold. Why would anyone fix something that appears almost certain anyway?

I really resent your "those two countries shouldn't judge." I take personal offense at it.

It wasn't certain that Russia would take the gold in the Team. Almost everyone thought it would be Canada. Until Europeans a month ago, the Russians were behind the Japanese in chatter. But in saying that, nothing has been weird with the judging. I would say there should have been an extra point or two here and there for a few skaters, but it would not have changed positioning/results.

As for Ice Dance, it is a little frustrating to see that Davis/White are being rewarded for skating a style and technique that use to get punished heavily, especially under the ordinals system.

As for Ice Dance, it is a little frustrating to see that Davis/White are being rewarded for skating a style and technique that use to get punished heavily, especially under the ordinals system.

What exactly do you mean? How was their style (which is not that much different from your Vice-Virtue (whom I actually prefer BTW, over Davis/White)) "punished in the ordinals system"? Care to elaborate a little??

What exactly do you mean? How was their style (which is not that much different from your Vice-Virtue (whom I actually prefer BTW, over Davis/White)) "punished in the ordinals system"? Care to elaborate a little??

They skate in a style that reminds me a lot of Bourne/Kratz and some of the more original teams from outside Russia/France that were around circa 98 to 04 that could never crack better than 3rd.

I think they should just junk this stupid Team Event. Other than half-selling out the stadia anyway, it's just adds more schemes, plots and drama. Get rid of it.

My initial reaction is that I agree. Would rather see synchro skating in the Olympics than Team. Synchro has the added advantage of bringing in federations that have been weaker in other disciplines in modern times. For example, Finland is very strong. Plus, the atmosphere of competitions is very festive.

I guess it would add more athletes, but if you eliminated Team, it might actually take up fewer days on the ice.

Probably not going to happen, though.

It wasn't certain that Russia would take the gold in the Team. Almost everyone thought it would be Canada. Until Europeans a month ago, the Russians were behind the Japanese in chatter. But in saying that, nothing has been weird with the judging. I would say there should have been an extra point or two here and there for a few skaters, but it would not have changed positioning/results.

I don't really agree with you about the buzz going on beforehand. Canada and Russia were always the clear options for gold. Through the Grand Prix season, Russia had the clear advantage in pairs, with the dominant team in the world, and in ladies'. Canada had the advantage in Ice Dance and men's... but honestly the Russians are not far behind in ice dance, closer than the Canadians are in ladies' for example. I don't know, I think it was always projected as a close race between them, with the U.S. as the top contender for bronze.

No one ever thought that the Japanese had much of a chance to medal without meltdowns from someone else. They have extreme weakness in pairs and dance, much more so than even the Americans in pairs or men's, for example.

I do agree nothing has been particularly weird in the judging, except maybe Julia winning the short in team earlier today... but I haven't seen the skates yet. And she only won by a couple points - chump change, really.

More on the Davis/White question below.

They skate in a style that reminds me a lot of Bourne/Kratz and some of the more original teams from outside Russia/France that were around circa 98 to 04 that could never crack better than 3rd.

The entire discipline of Ice Dance has changed. It's not just Davis/White. It's the same for Virtue/Moir and most of the top teams. If you want to see skaters skating in a more old school style you have to look very far afield at this point. Papadakis/Cizeron from France, for example (love them). Ice Dance was starting to change even in the late 90s with certain reforms, but the new judging system definitely transformed it. Before, there was an extreme emphasis on emoting/interpretation. Things now are MUCH more technical and I think you'll see an overall higher level of skating skills across the field now. Combine that with the partial collapse of Russia's ability to put together teams... this affected Russia in both pairs and dance - in the Communist era they were able to engineer teams from a very young age and force them to stay together... they can't do that these days. Plus the politics have changed. Anyway. yes, you're right, things have changed, but it's not solely to the benefit of Davis/White.

I agree with you in that I adore Bourne/Kratz and they were penalized by a very subjective system and never rewarded properly for their excellent skating.

I do see the following problems with Ice Dance currently.

1. Still the most subjective judging of all the disciplines in some respects, although it's much improved and technical levels are so insanely high

2. A lot of uniformity with so many of the top teams worldwide training in Detroit under the same two coaches. You begin to feel some sameness among the Detroit skaters' programs, especially when you get down below the top 3-4 teams.

3. If you think emoting/interpretation is one of the hallmarks of Ice Dance, then I agree it has diminished in the last 10 years. Still... Virtue/Moir emote. Pechalat/Bourzat emote. I think it's still there.

Yulia deserved first place. Asada didn't skate too well.

I loved the Italian pairs' performance. Absolutely wonderful.

Some of my figure skating friends in my Twitter feed felt that Kostner should have scored above Yulia... I think there was like 2 points difference? Again, haven't seen the skates yet, so I don't have a real perspective yet.

The Italian ice dancers are great, definitely.

SPOILERS if you don't know the current standings, don't read further!!!!

--------------------------

This 6-10 scoring now is also taking away tension completely at least for gold and silver:

Russia has a 7 point lead over Canada before the ladies & dance, but Canada can at the very best only make up 8 points from those two. And we know that's not going to happen,

While the US is already 9 points behind Canada and thus its only goal must be to save the bronze, which won't be hard against Japan and Italy...

They need to seriously rethink this event if it is to continue...

Kim Yu-Na and Mao had best watch their backs.

Yulia is not playing games.

No kidding. Especially with home ice.

SPOILERS if you don't know the current standings, don't read further!!!!

--------------------------

This 6-10 scoring now is also taking away tension completely at least for gold and silver:

Russia has a 7 point lead over Canada before the ladies & dance, but Canada can at the very best only make up 8 points from those two. And we know that's not going to happen,

While the US is already 9 points behind Canada and thus its only goal must be to save the bronze, which won't be hard against Japan and Italy...

They need to seriously rethink this event if it is to continue...

Japan didn't even attempt to catch the US. Not that it was likely, but still.

Archived