Figure Skating

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its basically game over for the Canadian team. Russia will beat us in pairs and ladies and will be one or two places behind in dance. They had to beat Plushenko to have a chance to win.

Disaster notwithstanding Russia will win gold (and Canada silver).

I would wait until ladies short is over, but yeah Russia is looking good at this point.

I am still confused about the scoring.

Does the short and long program scores add to produce final points (10, 9, 8 etc) or is there 8 component scores? Because the Canadian commentators said they expect the winning score to be 33 to 36.

Does the short and long program scores add to produce final points (10, 9, 8 etc) or is there 8 component scores? Because the Canadian commentators said they expect the winning score to be 33 to 36.

I thought the short program scores were only used to qualify for the long program. Then scoring starts fresh

I've read conflicting information. Initially it sounded like the slate was wiped clean after the shorts and the long program points alone determine the winners. But now I'm reading that the short program points not only determine which top five teams compete in the long, those points also carry over to a grand total that then determines the medals.

Can anyone clarify this with certainty?

Maybe they just mean the leading score after the short programs? I not actually sure how the long program scoring works still.

Duhamel/Radford are killing it!! Perfect timing. Team Canada needed this.

Ya, that was really necessary to keep Canada close to Russia. I still think it is Russia's to lose but at least the pressure is still on.

The top 4 pairs teams all did remarkably well, very entertaining to watch.

Well, I'm at work with no way to watch it (currently on my lunch). Will catch up tonight on NBC (groan).

Not surprised at Abbott, I much agree with Athensfan... while there are some things to like about his skating, all in all he's been a disappointing competitor for the US and I pretty much completely lack confidence at his ability to perform in this Olympics.

I honestly am not that surprised at attendance - I watched most of Russian Nationals on YouTube. Russian Nationals was, by the way, held in Sochi this year. Judging from YouTube, the attendance was horrid, even for the ladies' and men's free.

OK, so who won the Team event?? And then does everyone still get to do their Short Programs one more time before their longs????

It doesn't end until Sunday. Today was just the men's and pair's short programs. Russia is currently in first followed by Canada, China, and Japan. USA is in a three-way tie for 5th thanks to Jeremy Abbott crapping the bed.

It sounds like they're using the bilingual lady that did the announcements in Vancouver to do the English announcements in Sochi.

P.J. Kwong? Fairly sure I heard somewhere she was indeed the one doing it. She is also a freelancer that does quite a bit of work with CBC.

Gelatin, can you clarify the scoring. Do the scores from the shorts simply establish the five finalists or are they part of the final score that determines the medals?

The scores from the short establish the five finalists and also factor into the final score that determines the medalists.

(To be clear, it would be more accurate to say 'placement points' than 'scores' here.)

Pretty good analysis of the U.S.A's chances to advance to the frees here (spoiler: the chances are pretty good):

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?47738-Is-USA-out-of-team-event-already&p=839334&viewfull=1#post839334

Understood. And yes, I understand it's only the points derived from the ordinals, not the scores that are tallied.

Was hoping they started with a clean slate in the long. C'est la vie.

US Figure Skating should've known better than to have Abbott skate. I expect him to meltdown in the singles competition as well. He just projects psychological weakness and imbalance to me -- in every single interview I've ever seen with him.

The sad thing is that if Ashley implodes too, the US could well not even make the top five.

I expect him to meltdown in the singles competition as well. He just projects psychological weakness and imbalance to me -- in every single interview I've ever seen with him.

that's harsh and hilarious

disastrous effort by that dude

only see this sport during Olympics

Archived