Bangkok 2028 - Finalists Round 1

Bangkok 2028 Elimination Round 1  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which Logo Should Win the Bangkok 2028 GamesBids Logo Contest?

zun5.jpg

Sawasdee! Welcome back everyone for the start of the elimination finals of the Seventh Annual GamesBids Logo Design Competition: Bangkok 2028.

Thanks again to all who voted in the short list round. Once again voting numbers are tracking above that from last year’s comps, staying in the 40s range. Bach is pleased – apparently NBC are interested in our ratings with a view to bidding for next year’s broadcast rights. Well done all!

Re: the results of the short list round. I discounted the votes from: rypyor03 & luan (not satisfied of their bona fides); and DannyelBrazil’s and baron-pierreIV’s own votes (their others are valid). I’ve assigned nemo’s extra posted vote, and swapped one vote as requested by Olympicfan97.

The end tally is published in the poll thread. No one got an absolute majority. Congratulations to the finalists above who now continue the battle to make their mark on the visual identity of the Bangkok 2028 Summer Games. That gives us Scotguy and Danny making the final again, Rob., through for his only entry of this year, and the Malaysian brothers keeping it a family affair.

And always sad to have to give commiserations to those who've missed the cut – we always lose some real gems along the way – I was personally surprised to see Davey’s go, it’s been under-rated IMO, and was sorry to see Anthony’s elephant miss out and make it a pachyderm-free final field. And no rings for the Baron. Pity. Thanks for your participation, and hope you stick around to vote.

Okay, down to business. The rules for this stage are:

• This voting round will be open for (approximately) 24 hours - it will close after 7am, Friday January 10, Sydney time (8pm Jan 9 GMT).
  • Voting will now be conducted in rounds until one entry has an absolute majority and is declared the winner.
  • In this round ONLY the TWO logos with the lowest number of votes will be eliminated at the close of the poll.
  • Vote in the poll for your favourite logo. You have ONE vote, so make it count.
  • Your vote is public and can be seen by all.
  • Entrants MAY vote for their own logo (though two votes for the same logo by relatives will count as one).
  • Votes are valid if cast by members of GamesBids as of December 31 2013 with a bona fide posting record.
  • I will rule on the validity of any suspicious or disputed votes, or who constitutes a bona fide voting member.
  • I will not vote in this, or any subsequent rounds, unless a tie-breaker vote is needed in a tied elimination round or the final round.

Be fair and sportsmanlike, this is meant to be fun and the entrants all deserve our respect. If any contenders have any complaints or disputes, PM me and I'll rule on them.

Kob Kun Krab, bonne chance, good luck! May the odds be ever in your favour!

3i7p.jpg

yeah, but intoronto's still gotta vouch for the authenticity of the cityscape

Lol. I laughed for about nearly 5 minutes literally for that comment. I think though he only preaches his opinion if it is to do with Toronto.

A little bit of explanation for my entry....

The whole logo is a stylised Olympic cauldron, using Thai patterning and wallpaper as an inspiration. Nothing more complex than that in terms of meaning. :D

The leaf/flame/lotus shape seems ubiquitous in Thai art from the reseatch I've done, and there are all kinds of florid decorations used around that.

Converting this kind of pattern into an Olympic cauldron seemed an obvious way to go.

e.g. http://art-thai.blogspot.co.uk/

Lai-Thai-Art-Work-leaf-Pudtarn-hand-writ

400_F_33019138_mdmXSsuwYr26GcPHEuFScHssM

Lol. I laughed for about nearly 5 minutes literally for that comment. I think though he only preaches his opinion if it is to do with Toronto.

Well I understand the city well so off course I am. At least I am not going to be stupid enough to keep posting in every thread or to keep commenting after getting attacked for the pure stupidity of posts. I'll preach my opinion about you: You are an uneducated dumb as* that needs to stop posting here.

Not sure who is who but here are my opinions of the five:

a) I like, but the bottom stand type thing seems off too me.

B) Solid logo, the font though could be changed.

c) The graphics are good but it doesn't scream Bangkok to me.

d) I think this is the one to beat.

e) More colour would have helped.

Altho that mass lantern release started and is bigger in, like, Japan, Taiwan, Korea & China. Heck, per Guiness, the biggest one done was even in the Philipines. So it's not such a unique Thai thing. Sorry, Afiq.

yeah,.i know that ..the lantern is actually symbolize a "enlightenment hope and celebration" .and as for representing bagkok, i use "a giant swing" , a traditional sacred landmark, which is very famous in asia

honestly, i dont see anything "bangkok" in your logo,becoz what i see is something from "rio samba parade costume"..sorry,

i mean.. u still can see a pattern n element of traditional thai silk in design A, so do lotus in design B.and thai tample in design E

yeah,.i know that ..the lantern is actually symbolize a "enlightenment hope and celebration" .and as for representing bagkok, i use "a giant swing" , a traditional sacred landmark, which is very famous in asia

I didn't know that the lantern event in Notrhern Thailand as in your pic meant something positive. i didn't vote your option but the colours of 3 squares to represent lanterns are very fantastic ;) .

honestly, i dont see anything "bangkok" in your logo,becoz what i see is something from "rio samba parade costume"..sorry,

i mean.. u still can see a pattern n element of traditional thai silk in design A, so do lotus in design B.and thai tample in design E

My reference is based on the repeated 4-side flower pattern of thai art, like this:

18139929-pink-flower-pattern-in-traditio

8361815-858954-line-thai-art-pattern-ill

I just cutted 1 side of it and used the "flower part" to resemble Thai monuments.

phimai(2).jpg

wat-arun2.jpg

Then I wanted to give some action by growing the Thai flower like a monument in the horizon.

I do think art can be done in several ways from literal iconic ones to shapes and lines... ;)

Archived